R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFresh water Holding tank ????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh water Holding tank ????
    Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 11:42am
Originally posted by TheBum

Maybe they put larger drains on the 2017s. Ours is a 2016.
I don't know. The VIN on ours says it's a 2017, but it's green, and looks just like a 2016. That said, there is only 30 gallons in that tank, and it seems to flow faster than a gallon a minute. Maybe sometime I will measure it.

UPDATE: I did have chlorinated water in the FWT, about 15-20 gallons (that's an estimate). So I decided to time how long it took to drain it. Total time from pulling the plug to empty was 11 minutes. The last half gallon or so took almost 2 minutes, but the first xx gallons went pretty quickly. For sure, it's at least a gallon/minute. FWIW, the drain plug is a 3/4" (OD) NPT.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by TheBum

The problem with the factory fresh water tank drain is the orifice is so small that it takes hours to drain a full tank. If I knew how, I'd consider putting in a larger diameter drain.

It's possible there are different plumbing fixtures on different pods.  Mine has a simple cap.  Half inch, I think.  There's no faster, simpler way to drain the tank than to remove that cap.  If you have a cap and the water doesn't pour out in a fast, solid stream, there is probably some sort of obstruction.  It's a straight shot up from the drain to the tank, so stick a pencil or screw driver up there and see if that loosens things up.

If you have a petcock, consider removing it and checking for clogs.  If you can figure out how to blow some air up it without removing it, that might work too.

I don't see how removing the anode from the water heater will drain the tank since it's higher than the tank, and it seems like a waste of time and wear and tear on the pump to pump the water out of the tank just to drain it.

As stated, the city water inlet on the pod is supposed to bypass the tank.  If the tank is filling from the city water inlet there is a stuck check valve that can sometimes be fixed by running the pump intermitantly for a few cycles.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:06pm
My 2015 is also a half inch (I think) cap. Drains plenty fast unless plugged with debris. I had a petcock in a previous RV and it took forever to drain. i removed it and put in a cap. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Shane View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 4:59pm
As to the question of how often to drain the fresh water tank. I was told by my technician to drain my tank after every camping trip, that way stagnate water is not sitting inside the tank. I have a 2018 R-Pod 180, and it has a small threaded pipe maybe 3/4" long that is threaded with a cap on it. I just unscrew the drain cap and it drains with no problem. Make sure when you screw the cap back on that you use some type of thread seal tape to prevent leaking. If yours in not draining I would use a small screwdriver to see if something is plugging up the drain.
ENGINE 55,TRUCK 44,BATALLION 12
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 9:48pm
I guess we have been fortunate in that from the time we purchased our 177 (January 2011) until we met furpod at the ERU, Traverse City, summer 2016, we had never sanitized our fresh water tank and used it a lot for drinking water.  Even when drained for the winter I would venture to say there are still probably 3 to 4 gallons in the bottom that never drain out.  We have only used well water, never muni or chemicalized water in our tank.  Anyway, we now sanitize 1 time each spring to be safe, however there is still that 3 - 4 gallons that never drains although it does get changed over I suppose, every time we fill.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 9:03am
Originally posted by jato

I guess we have been fortunate in that from the time we purchased our 177 (January 2011) until we met furpod at the ERU, Traverse City, summer 2016, we had never sanitized our fresh water tank and used it a lot for drinking water.  Even when drained for the winter I would venture to say there are still probably 3 to 4 gallons in the bottom that never drain out.  We have only used well water, never muni or chemicalized water in our tank.  Anyway, we now sanitize 1 time each spring to be safe, however there is still that 3 - 4 gallons that never drains although it does get changed over I suppose, every time we fill.

When a 5000 gallon vat of apple juice doesn't test clean at the apple juice plant down the road here the employees say "Dilution is the solution"Wink
2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 9:58am
Ah. The holistic approach.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 11:14am
Don't drink the water from the tank. Drink beer instead. Problem solved. Tongue
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 8:28pm
I like beer ok, but at my age it's really not good for my girth.  And what would I do for my morning coffee.  Beer doesn't work well for making coffee.  But, on the other hand, I've never been an advocate drinking tank water under any circumstances except when one is stranded in the desert and the choice is to drink it or die. 

Since my FW tank is aft of the axle, I use bottled water for drinking and pack it forward under the bed in the front of the trailer.  It kills two birds with one stone.  It helps with the tongue weight and it helps with the coffee.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 6:03am
+1 about not drinking the tank water. I was half joking about the beer.

Folks who have spent extended periods in developing countries quickly learn that the stuff coming out of the faucet is not something you actually want to put in your body. Its for washing only. There are plenty of places in the US where the tap water isn't fit to drink either. Bottled or filtered water is for drinking, brushing teeth, and rinsing raw fruits and vegetables.  I'm used to that and do it at home as well. 

The trailer balance advantage is a second plus from using bottled water. In the 179 I keep it in the rear under the kitchen counter and as I use it and other consumable supplies up I'm balancing against the fresh water moving aft into the gray water tank.  

And the third advantage is that it extends the water capacity of the trailer. I usually start with two 2.5 gallon water dispensers and set one on the kitchen counter when I set up camp. That adds 17% to the water capacity, good for another day or two before having to find a dump station. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>