R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWidening Driveway Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Widening Driveway Help
    Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 5:34pm
   We want to widen our driveway to make it easier backing our camper into driveway. We now have about a 16 foot concrete pipe under driveway, I want to know can the concrete pipe be extended? I have searched on the internet and I haven't been able found any help. Our County Highway dept will install a new pipe if we buy the pipe, but concrete pipe is expensive. They suggested a metal pipe but what I have read it doesn't last long and concrete seems to be the best choice. Extending the concrete pipe seems like that would be the best thing to do, but not sure if that is possible. Does anyone have any advice or have tried this before? Thank you
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 5:58pm
Any chance of a plastic pipe working?
Swampfox
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:09pm
I take it you have talked to the Highway Dept. They are experts at drainage access to a major road from a driveway. I had to build a bridge and it had to be approved by the county. There almost has to be an inspector or a dept that handles these issues. If it is a standard drainage ditch I would go with galvanized pipe. It comes large and long. You probably will need concrete abutments on ends. One of those cases where local folks may have the answer and regulations, not the internet. When I did my bridge, I had to go thru county engineer for approval. That's why I take it - you are dealing with a drainage ditch not a water way. I would say a galvanized pipe will outlive you.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:41pm
We widened our driveway at a house that we used to own - used galvanized pipe that connected to a flared end fitting that widened out past the ends of the driveway. Concrete seems like overkill to me. In my neck of the woods (Colorado) there are irrigation pipe suppliers - that's where we got ours. Was some years ago so do not recall the expense but it was not that much.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 12:10am
Can you get corrugated plastic pipe in your area? We replaced an old 10 inch concrete culvert with a 12 inch corrugated plastic culvert on our driveway. We needed the additional capacity. The corrugated plastic is HDPE (I think). Corrugated on the outside and smooth on the inside. If you need to extend an existing pipe (like your concrete pipe), I believe they make connectors. We got ours from a place like this.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 5:56am
   I have decided if I can not find a way to extend existing pipe I will leave alone and add another pipe down the road further and have a U-shaped driveway. It doesn't make sense to remove a good concrete pipe and replace with a longer plastic or metal pipe. I just never thought of adding a additional pipe and adding to the existing gravel driveway. I will see what the Highway Dept thinks about that but I don't see it being a problem in a rural area.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:09am
If you have he space to do a second entrance, why would you even want to widen your driveway so you can back your trailer in?  It would be so much easier to have the U driveway and likely wouldn't be any more expensive.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:48am
Originally posted by lostagain

If you have he space to do a second entrance, why would you even want to widen your driveway so you can back your trailer in?  It would be so much easier to have the U driveway and likely wouldn't be any more expensive.  
You are right. I just didn't think of that idea. Perhaps if I were younger I would of thought of it sooner! Confused
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:16am
If you have 16' of concrete culvert, that's two 8' sections. Each section has one straight end and one flared gasket end for fitting them together. So, yes, you can extend a concrete culvert with another section of the same diameter pipe. You will have to excavate one side of the driveway to expose the end of the existing culvert and level the ground to bed the new pipe in. Concrete culvert is heavy....around a ton for a small diameter and they go up from there, so a backhoe or excavator is needed. 

It should take a competent heavy equipment operator less than an hour to install one, then another hour or so to back-fill over the new section with gravel and pack it all in so you can drive on it. Around here that job would cost under a thousand, but you can easily double that in other parts of the country. 

We use the poly pipe here now like GlueGuy suggested. One person can handle a 20'x 16" by hand with ease. As far as I know, there is no adapter to go from poly to concrete, so mixing and matching won't work. 

Adding a second driveway entrance using a 20' poly pipe will cost almost the same as extending your existing one. The only difference is the additional fill material needed. There is nothing wrong with galvanized pipe, it will last for 40-50 years. If that's the only one the county approves, and they will install for free, go for it, but get a 20' one, not a 16'. 16'(imho) is too short for any driveway that has anything other than cars turning in...no trailers. 

See if the County will approve a poly pipe. They are easy to find..... Co-Op and hardware store here sell them. Make them spec out the diameter for you so you get the right size. 
2016 R-Pod 176T
 Post Reply Post Reply