R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod 195 sneak peak teaser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod 195 sneak peak teaser
    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 3:41pm
   The best r-pod I have liked so far. I was wrong twice about the roof it does look like a one piece fiberglass roof front to back. I am curious what the cargo capacity will be. I think it will be a nice camper for those wanting a larger r-pod.  I would like it better if it had twin beds, with the extra width that would be nice.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 3:44pm
This is a game changer in my opinion. It will be hard for me to not run down and order one today. I'm going to try to wait a bit, and actually see one first, but i'm pretty sure I want one. The 3300 pounds on a single axle has me concerned a little. Hopefully the axle is rated above 3500 pounds. I also agree that I might prefer the twin bed option, but this is a giant step forward

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 8:29pm
I have a hard time believing this thing can come in under 4,000 lbs. It's a bit wider and a bit longer, plus has a few upgrades that (I think) all add weight. So how they can get it under 4,000 lbs AND have it on a single axle soewhat puzzles me.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 8:55pm
I don't have a hard time believing it will come in around the 3500 lbs Travis said. Considering that the NoBo 19.5 comes in at 3456 lbs for a similar size, I would say that is pretty accurate.

While it is longer and wider, the additional materials for side walls and roof are not that much and the interior cabinetry is also not much different. The walk-through shows a solar charge controller so if this is an option, it would add some weight for the solar panel. The larger refrigerator would add some, but not too much. Most everything else inside is pretty standard and would not change. Unknowns are water and holding tank sizes. Also, the awning is different than the Thule awning. The supports on the side of the 195 lead me to believe this is one where the arms extend and the material is on a roll at the end of the arms instead of in a case on the roof/sidewall of the RPod. We'll know for sure once specifications are released. I did not see a door for an outside shower. I expect there will be a spray port instead. In all the time we have owned our 179, I have never used the outside shower so a spray port would work better for us.

I would be interested to know if the tanks will be exposed or covered. If covered, will there be a four-season option? I would take that over a solar option.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 5:07am
     Our Gulfstream Vista is 23' long 7.5' wide similar construction about 3,300 lbs. on a single 4,000 lb. axle. If you include hitch weight 480 lbs. it has about a 1,200 lb. cargo capacity.The r-pod 195 I think would have no problem on a single axle that is stronger than a 3,500 axle. Like Stephen said will not know until the specifications are available. I think a lot of the weight comes from the amount of cabinets a camper has, that and the extra width it will be heavier. The tongue weight will make a difference with the cargo weight.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 8:21am
I count our RP-179 as a 3800 lb vehicle. This should be heavier. Empty weight does not count.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 8:50am
+1 to GlueGuy. 

Not only heavier, but also significantly larger frontal area so more wind resistance = more hp required to tow and lower fuel economy. Not to mention poorer rear vis and a requirement for extended mirrors. TANFL = there ain't not free lunch. 

There are lots of trailers in this size and weight range, Vibes and NoBos being just two. This is a typical marketing strategy, make a vehicle targeted to a specific segment larger over time to entice ppl to move up. Look at the Honda Civic as an example, its about 20 inches longer now than it was originally.  

The problem is that brands tend to lose their distinctive character and potentially their market share in the long term. Seen any Pontiacs recently? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 9:09am
+1 to Offgrid.

Case in point.  When we purchased our 177 in January 2011, it was one of the more popular models.  People's wants change over time and FR, being a good marketer of their product, met those needs: larger interior space, longer trailer, more options, ect.  Fast forward a few years and new models roll out, 178, 179, 180 and so forth.  As a result, some of the original models, 177 included, are no longer manufactured due to lack of sales.  After 8 years with the 177 there is no intention to 'change' to a different model, but if the unfortunate happens be it accident or theft, we will be forced to either purchase a different model or look for an older used one.  Offgrid makes a good point, no more Pontiac's.  Something to be said however about the 'classics'.  I wish I still had the '69 Vette I had in high school and college, it is worth many times more now than when I owned it.  Could this also be the case for the 177 and other models in the future?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 9:41am
Originally posted by offgrid

+1 to GlueGuy. 

Not only heavier, but also significantly larger frontal area so more wind resistance = more hp required to tow and lower fuel economy. Not to mention poorer rear vis and a requirement for extended mirrors. TANFL = there ain't not free lunch. 

There are lots of trailers in this size and weight range, Vibes and NoBos being just two. This is a typical marketing strategy, make a vehicle targeted to a specific segment larger over time to entice ppl to move up. Look at the Honda Civic as an example, its about 20 inches longer now than it was originally.  

The problem is that brands tend to lose their distinctive character and potentially their market share in the long term. Seen any Pontiacs recently? 

The Pontiac brand was discontinued by GM in 2010. http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/pontiac/why-did-gm-discontinue-pontiac/ so not seeing any Pontiacs is not surprising. OTOH, the Civic is still a thriving model of the Honda brand. Manufacturers make what people want if they want to survive.

Yes, there are other trailers. However, I have not seen one with the layout of the 195. That is what is exciting for me. The only Vibe model I saw with a rear kitchen was the 25RK which has an unloaded weight of 5868 lbs and is 29' 4" x 8'.  The NoBo 19.5 has similar specs in length, width, and weight, but is not a rear kitchen model. Neither is any of the Coachmen Apex Nano models. The twin axle Lance 2285 has a rear kitchen, but dry weight is 4930 lbs which would be way too much for our Frontier.

I think there will be a significant market for the 195 for those who would like the walk-around queen. Now if the 191 had a rear kitchen, I could see going for that instead but it doesn't.

The one feature I am not sure of is the round sink. When we travel, we have a dish drainer that rides in the larger top-mount stainless steel sink I installed in our 179. That woudn't fit in the round sink. The sink and faucet are likely candidates for replacement if we were to upgrade to the 195. I would want to keep the faucet I installed in our 179. Since it is flexible, it combines the functions of a sprayer with the faucet without the negatives of a weighted supply line below the counter which a pull-out faucet would have.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 9:55am
   Our last trip with the Vista we stopped at a truck scale and weighed our camper when it was fully loaded with about 10 gallons fresh water and just a few gallons in the black and grey tanks. The axle weight of the Vista hitched to our tow vehicle was 3,740 lbs. With our truck it is easily towed but with a smaller SUV it would be a little difficult. The original r-pods were easily towed with most SUV's but I think too, the new r-pod 195 will need a large SUV or truck for towing safely. As mentioned can't forget the wind resistance with a larger frontal area and too the visibility with the side mirrors. But the positive side of the 195 is it will have a fiberglass roof and a torsion axle the Vista and No-Bo have only one of those features not both. We wanted a larger camper with both the torsion axle and fiberglass roof that we could afford and the Vista is as close as we could find but it has a leaf spring axle. There is the Big Foot and Oliver beautiful campers but out of our price range. I think the 195 will be about the only choice for someone wanting a larger camper with both a fiberglass roof and torsion axle in it's price range. But as history has showed there will be most likely competition from other manufactures.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>