R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod 195 sneak peak teaser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod 195 sneak peak teaser
    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 10:43am
Originally posted by jato

+1 to Offgrid.

Case in point.  When we purchased our 177 in January 2011, it was one of the more popular models.  People's wants change over time and FR, being a good marketer of their product, met those needs: larger interior space, longer trailer, more options, ect.  Fast forward a few years and new models roll out, 178, 179, 180 and so forth.  As a result, some of the original models, 177 included, are no longer manufactured due to lack of sales.  After 8 years with the 177 there is no intention to 'change' to a different model, but if the unfortunate happens be it accident or theft, we will be forced to either purchase a different model or look for an older used one.  Offgrid makes a good point, no more Pontiac's.  Something to be said however about the 'classics'.  I wish I still had the '69 Vette I had in high school and college, it is worth many times more now than when I owned it.  Could this also be the case for the 177 and other models in the future?

Right now, Couch's has the very last 177 produced, sitting on their lot..
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 1:50pm
The new 195 looks similar to Pacific Coachworks, Mighty-Lite 18FB https://www.pacificcoachworks.com/travel-trailers/mighty-lite/mighty-lite-travel-trailer-18fb/

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 2:17pm
The only thing alike with them is the front walk-around queen bed. Otherwise, the layout is very different.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 3:03pm
The functional space is about the same, though the galley is in the back on the 195, it is basically the same size.  The head is on the side in the 195 and in the back on the 18FB, but the volume of each is about the same.  I looked at the live version of the Pac. Coach. trailer last summer at one of our local dealers.  Its construction seems to be at about the same quality level as the generic rPod product.  The tankage may be a little different, but functionally, there isn't much difference.  Both trailers are going after the same market segment.  From the fotos of the 195, I think FR's choice if finishes and such are a little nicer, but the price of the 18FB that I looked at was considerably less than that expected for the 195.  Oh, and one other thing about the 18FB, the mattress was a throw away.  They should sell them sans mattress and let the buyer get her own.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Oh, and one other thing about the 18FB, the mattress was a throw away.  They should sell them sans mattress and let the buyer get her own.
Or have a selection of mattresses you could choose from in the dealership. Try before you buy!
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 5:54pm
Given that the tank capacities of the 18FB are 25 gallons fresh (which presumably includes the 6 for the water heater meaning actually a 19 gallon tank unless they are not including the water heater in the fresh water capacity) and 26 gallons each for black and gray, it would make the 18FB less desirable for me. The one thing that piqued my interest was the "Heat Pads." That may mean that the tanks are heated for 4 season use. If so, one would need to be connected to shore power or have a great charging system for the TV to run them. I don't see them running on battery power alone.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 7:36pm
I really like our Pod, so I never discussed the trailer's characteristics in detail with the dealer and can't justify taking on a bunch of debt to replace a paid for trailer to gain a shower stall.  But I think the all the tanks are 25 gallons, so there'd be 31 gal. of fresh water as there is really 36 with the Pod's 30 gallon tanks.  I also didn't like the color scheme -- too gray for my taste, though it seems to be the popular style.  The galley in the pictures of the 195 is more stylish, with the 18FB being much more like the traditional pods in finish.  Also, the fridge was the same size as the traditional pods, if my memory serves me well.  Bottom line, the trailer is in the same market as the rPod and offers, based on the dealer's price, a reasonably good value for the buck.  But, as I said, why go into debt when you're happy with what you have?

Oh, and as for the tank heaters, they really suck up the power so I don't think they'd really be that useful unless you were at a full service rv park and even then, the heating efficiency is not necessarily adequate to keep things from freezing in the pipes.  

A corollary to the refrain "don't fix it if it ain't broke."  ..."Don't buy a new one if you are happy with whatcha already got."
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 8:38pm
My thoughts too on the heater pads.

As long as I can continue to climb over my wife, we will likely stick with our 179. When I can't do that, I can use my modified dinette. In that case, I may reduce the queen mattress size and make some cabinetry in the front end of the 'Pod. While I would like to go with the 195 because of multiple features with it that I like, finances dictate sticking with what we have for now. We just plunked down almost 3K on the new axle, brakes, hub, and slide-out leak repair so money for trading isn't necessarily there and won't be for a while. That is okay since it won't even be available for several months.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 7:08am
Originally posted by StephenH

The Pontiac brand was discontinued by GM in 2010. http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/pontiac/why-did-gm-discontinue-pontiac/ so not seeing any Pontiacs is not surprising. 

The Civic is still a thriving model of the Honda brand. Manufacturers make what people want if they want to survive.

Exaclly. GM decided to "badge engineer" the Pontiac, which then destroyed its brand distinctiveness. Brand is a corporate asset, companies spend millions of dollars and decades developing their brand images. Brand is often the most valuable asset a company has when its sold. Did GM squander this value unnecessarily? Maybe they decided only a few of us old geezers cared. Who knows? But its gone now for sure. 

Is FR doing the same by compromising the original (highly successful) concept behind the r-pod brand as a light, compact travel trailer with a unique roofline? I think yes, others will disagree. Time will tell. 

As Honda has made the Civic larger over time they did not retain the original "small" Civic. Instead, they introduced the Fit as the smallest car in their US product line. By doing it that way they have retained the distinctiveness of both product lines while being able to cash in on existing Civic customers' desire for a larger vehicle as they aged. Smart strategy that worked well for them. FR is not doing that (so far) with the r-pod. 

As to manufacturers making what customers want in order to survive, that is not how marketing led companies work. Companies that are sales driven have a short planning horizon and want to make what customers tell them they want today. Successful marketing driven companies filter what sales is telling them about their customers, assess their own and their competitor's producs and capabilities, and then plan their product lines and marketing materials to "teach" customers what they ought to want.  Best example of this in history? The iPhone. 

My concern with having a "big fat" r-Pod in the lineup is that it creates a muddle, customers will no longer know what an r-Pod is and isn't as distinct from other products in the market. Maybe FR has decided that  most everyone who wants a "small" r-pod has already bought one, or maybe they are planning a new "small" product line like Honda did, or maybe they are being short sighted. Again, time will tell.

All that being said, if you like the new "big fat" r-pod, buy it, nothing wrong with that. I'm sure it will be a good product. Its too big for me. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 8:59am
I'm wondering how hard it would be to reengineer our 179 to do a twin bed layout. Negatives are the wardrobe in the way which would need to be re-worked to allow foot room and the lack of space for the slide-side as well.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>