R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod 195 sneak peak teaser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod 195 sneak peak teaser
    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 9:45am
Time to say goodbye to the R Pod as we know it! 

As usual, they have taken a great idea and gradually ruined the whole concept of a (truly) light weight ,aero dynamic,  self contained unit and moved it into the realm of boring piano box trailer (Not camper).

It will be unusual to see a true R POD on the road in a few years..............Whatever the market calls for I guess.  I hope to have our POD for many years to come.
Swampfox
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 9:57am
There will likely be a demand for the smaller R-Pods as well as the 195. If we did not already have our 179, I would be looking hard at the 195 as the older we get, the harder it is to do the crawl-over. It still maintains a lot of the features of the R-Pod line even if it is not quite what is expected.

Improvements mentioned in the videos beyond what is already discussed: Fully enclosed bottom meaning it will be better in cold weather. No mention of tank heat, so it still is likely not built for 4-season use, but add the hot water recirculation modification some have done and that would solve that, at least for the fresh water system.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:23am
Woodmiester, not to worry, there will be r-pods around for many years to come in the used travel trailer market.  Our 172 from way, way back in 2009 has many years of life left in it yet and when we are done with our travel trailer days, we will probably have no difficulty finding a happy buyer.

Yesterday, one of our clients asked us to make a replacement cushion for a 1996 Aljo 18' double axle travel trailer.  Except for the very low ceiling [I bumped my head on the ac] it had more features than the r-Pod, including a full stove and oven, a separate shower and sink in the head, a double bed/couch, and a dinette area.  With a little work, they had taken this old classic and made it almost like new.  

There is a market for r-Pod like trailers and if FR doesn't want that market segment any more, then some other company will fulfill the demand.  Every product goes through a life cycle and eventually dies out, but where there is a continuing demand for the original concept, some clever company will jump in and grab the opportunity.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:45pm
Unless FR switched axle vendors 6 lug means it’s the Lippert 5200 lb axle family. They’re derating the axle to 4400, probably to keep the gross wt under 5000. So that’s good for reliability.

The other thing in that video is it confirms the fresh tank is forward. So, we’re gojng to be looking at a 600 lb tongue weight or more if the tank is filled and the normal boondocking battery and propane tank mods are added. Not a safe 5000 lb towable trailer in by opinion.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 1:25pm
I gotta say the 195 looks like a really nice trailer and it's still short enough to fit into many mountain campgrounds with limited trailer space.  If I had a bigger bank account, I'd consider buying one, but I don't, so I won't.  It looks like, once it's filled with all the normal stuff that people will carry, it'll weigh out at about just a little under 5K, which is a little on the heavy side for some SUV's.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 2:40pm
I got an email from Scott Rhode at FR that clarifies the roof material. It is not fiberglass, tpo, or edpm. Instead, it is XTRM Ply PVC roofing which is also used on the Surveyor line. It is more durable than tpo or edpm (fiberglass is not mentioned in the flyer he attached describing it). It never needs treatments. It has a Solar Reflective Index of 109. It sounds like it will be a good roof material as the manufacturer has a 15 year warranty on it.

The front and back still look to be fiberglass. However, until we see close-up pictures or see one in person, it will be hard to tell for sure where the fiberglass transitions to the PVC in front and back and how it is sealed on the edges.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:11pm
  As far as being related to the original r-pod I see the 195 as a distant cousin. I was right in the beginning thinking it may not have a fiberglass roof but at least it has a torsion axle. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678