R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedflexible solar panel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: flexible solar panel
    Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 5:37pm
Has anyone thought about adding a flexible solar panel on the roof using 3M tape, running the wires trough the shower exhaust and attaching to a charge controller in the pantry (our 179 has a pantry next to the shower)?  then tap into the existing Zamp line?  this way you don't have to drill any holes in the roof.

Just thinking!
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
Awchief View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 6:47pm
Commonly done. 
Michael
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 6:48pm
I haven't heard of that specific option, but I would like to point out that the zamp connection is just a pair of wires to the battery. So don't bother trying to dig out those wires, just go directly to the 12V buss.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 5:22am
As a former PV module design and qual test engineer for many years I designed and tested both conventional glass and "flexible" solar modules for a living. Of course the decision is yours but let me attempt to talk you out of spending good money on "flexible" PV modules. Here are 6 reasons I wouldn't use them even if someone gave them to me:

Solar cells are fabricated on crystalline silicon wafers. That is a brittle material. Some of the marketing videos show a guy folding a cell. That works (once) because the cell is very thin. But ask him what happens when you apply constant bending stress to those cells or flex those cells multiple times. Microcracks will ultimately propagate across the cell and it will fracture, often opening the entire cell circuit, which is in series.  The result is a dead module. 

The polymer superstrate used on the "flexible" modules is not nearly as robust and the glass superstrate used on conventional modules. It will degrade, discolor, hold dirt, and is prone to cupping. Then there is the risk of hail damage. The result is a dead or low performing module. 

The "flexible" modules are intended to be attached directly to a roof or other rigid surface. By not providing back side cooling these modules will run hot, reducing performance and further reducing product life. Much better to use conventional modules in a stand off mounting configuration that allows some airflow to cool the backside, and keeps the trailer cooler as well.

Cells in modules are in series, and the current generated by them is proportional to the irradiance they receive, so if the intent is to attach the "flexible" modules to a curved surface like the front part of an rPod, there will be a significant performance degradation because the cells won't all be receiving the same irradiance levels. 

Attaching with pressure sensitive tape, like VHB tape, requires great care, and a perfectly clean and totally dry surfaces to be secure. And it requires pressure to be applied to activate the adhesive. That means you are pressing hard on the brittle solar cells.

The manufacturers know all this of course, so typical manufacturer's warranties on conventional glass modules are 25-30 years. "Flexible" ones are 1 or 2 years typically. 

So, if you won't be frustrated if you have to replace your modules every few years at best, and weight is critically important, then "flexible" might be the way to go, but be sure you have a way in mind to remove them from whatever they're attached to without causing damage so you can replace them.

If not then stick with conventional glass superstrate modules, I'm certain you'll be a lot happier in the long run. There are several ways to mount conventional glass solar modules on a trailer without putting holes in the roof. See the current thread "Any Upgrade the Solar in a 190" for one of them.

Re the charge controller location you could place that under the shower in the 179 and connect it at the 12V fuse buss in the power center.  As GlueGuy says there is no need to use the Zamp wires. 

I'm not too excited about the idea of running the conductors through the shower vent.  You could use one of these. It is not a mechanical connection so there isn't any physical stress on it, so there shouldn't be much risk of it leaking. I plan to remove my TV antenna which I never use and use that as the chase for my solar installation. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 9:50am
Thanks for the information.  Much of that makes perfect sense and for now I plan on continued use of my folding suitcase panel.  A couple of friends that we trailer with are looking to do this so just wanted to get some feedback about it.  

Appreciate the info,

2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 10:00am
Besides, in the desert one does not want to have to camp in the sunlight.
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 7:44am
Originally posted by john in idaho

I don't want to have to camp in the sunlight pretty much anywhere....just so I get sun on my solar panels.  That's why I use portable panels.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
burnerjohnmichael View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 9:47pm
Thank you for that excellent information as to not going flexible with the panels. I came to the same conclusion some months ago.Star 
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by john in idaho

Except in the winter! Tongue
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply