This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Towing with 2019 Highlander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with 2019 Highlander
    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 5:27am
Yeah, I've been on that road - uphill in a passenger car. They don't allow RV's or trailers on it IIRC. Too bad, spoils all the fun LOL

Seriously though, those kind of roads (and there are plenty like that all through the Appalahians) are fine as long as you can select a low enough gear and take your time. The problem in CA seems to be that there are too many people on too few roads and for some reason they seem to think its a racetrack, so you're holding up traffic.  That kind of thing is a lot less common in the East in my experience. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 11:07am
Originally posted by offgrid

Wow, sorry you lost your Highlander, hopefully no one was injured in the accident.   

My wife was driving and received a bad friction burn and bruise on her arm from the side curtain airbag, but that was it, other than the immediate mental trauma. Her passenger was unharmed. She was lucky: the other vehicle came head on through a red light and clipped the front driver's side of the Highlander. If he had hit another 6 inches in, she probably would have had serious injuries.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 11:45am
Sounds similar to the accident we had last year where a taxi driver went through a stop sign and my wife's aunt hit the front right fender of the taxi. We had bruised ribs but no permanent damage. There was no opportunity to avoid that accident either. Please give your wife our best wishes for a speedy recovery.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Sounds similar to the accident we had last year where a taxi driver went through a stop sign and my wife's aunt hit the front right fender of the taxi. We had bruised ribs but no permanent damage. There was no opportunity to avoid that accident either. Please give your wife our best wishes for a speedy recovery.

We think what happened was he bottomed out on the hump of the road he was crossing and went airborne. My wife and other witnesses reported seeing sparks as he was careening into the Highlander. Fortunately, one of the witnesses followed the guy in his truck and was able to direct the police to where he stopped.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
lonapete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lonapete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 10:13am
Hello,

Did you ever get someone to install a tow package on your 2019 Highlander? I'm hearing the same feedback and it's very frustrating as I bought the SUV because it's advertised that it can tow up to 5500lbs.

thanks for any feedback!
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 11:20pm
What feedback are you getting? Here is a detailed install video from etrailer, looks pretty much the same as when I did my 2012 Highlander. Took a couple of hours, no problems.

2019 highlander brake controller install
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
wthoms2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote wthoms2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 11:09pm
I tow our 2017 1/2 179 HRE with my 2021 Ranger with its in-line 4 2.3 liter EcoBoost, with ten speed auto tranny. No probs flat and up hill! Around 12-14 mpg. Towing capacity is 7,500 lbs. Even use adaptive cruise control.

Did install a Reese friction sway control.
Porta Poddy
Wil and Luz, Orange County, CA
2017.5 179 HRE
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
REDARC Brake Controller
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123