R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChanging a tire on my R pod.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing a tire on my R pod.
    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 8:35am
 There are many conflicting stories on where to lift the Pod when you need to change a tire. I got a response back from the Forest River R pod service department. They said:  The correct place to place the jack would be on the axle beam right behind the hub assembly.

Can anyone tell me exactly where that is located?  Maybe a picture would help.

Thank you.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:00am
The axle tube is a pretty thin wall box tube, IIRC its only 0.1 inches. Its also in a diamond configuration so you don't have a flat surface to lift against.  I would not recommend lifting the rPod directly on the axle tube unless you first make up a v block to place against the tube and then lift against that. Some folks on the forum have done that.

Since it is also a pretty thin wall tube you don't want to lift against the rpod frame rails either. 

I use the vertical flanges of the axle tube mounting brackets which are welded to and extend in front of and behind the axle where it is bolted to the rpod frame. Since these are vertical they are very strong and can take the load no problem. The other benefit of doing it that way for me is since my tow vehicle jack is set up to engage a similar vertical flange on the TV I can use it for the trailer too and don't need to carry around two jacks.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 8:05am
I lift here:

A small hyd, or a bottle jack will fit no problem, but keep a small block of wood to use with the jacks that have a small contact surface:

2016 R-Pod 176T
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 8:40am
Greetings:
Yes, that is the best point to lift.  Be sure and loosen the nuts a bit before lifting.  They are torqued to 90 Foot pounds.  I use a impact tool 1/2 inch drive.  Invest in or borrow a torque wrench.  Be sure and block the other wheel and lower the jacks, so it won't drop on you. be safe.

Crankster 78
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 11:34am
Forest River R pod service department is right. Always lift using the axle tube, it is over a 1/4 thick and the strongest tube on the trailer. You can see how thick it is in the picture. I use the jack that came with my truck  for road side work. I have worked on trailers for over 40 years and have never had a problem lifting on an axle. 
jantam5 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 10:49am
Thanks for all of your help!  Pictures were great....now I finally understand!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 6:48am
I don't agree with FR's recommendation. 

The Lippert torsion axle diamond tube is 3/16 inch think. Much better than jacking on the trailer frrame which is only 0.1 inches.  So, if you jack directly under the frame attachment point it might be OK but you are putting a significant load on the bottom point of the diamond. 

The vertical flanges that take the load from the tube to the frame are about 2 inches tall in the direction of load so are super strong. That is the only place I would lift mine, exactly as shown in Motor7's photo. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply