R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2019 Spoiler Leak!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2019 Spoiler Leak!
    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 3:33pm
Here's a video:

This is a 2019 (blue model) purchased in Ohio. I live in Oregon, I've called around and there's a local dealership that's going to take a look for me, but they are stating that it's $140 an hour to diagnose (which would be waved if this gets approved for warranty).

Why would this not be approved by a warranty? I've only had the RPOD for like 8 months, and I've been diligent about dicor sealants on the roof, and spoiler. Yet, it still leaked!

I'm not very happy at all right now.....

-Pete
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 4:16pm
Sorry you're having a problem with the spoiler leaking so soon. 

Here's the pertinent warranty language: 

WARRANTY COVERAGE SUMMARY OF WARRANTY: Forest River Inc., 55470 CR 1, P.O. Box 3030, Elkhart, Indiana 46515-3030 (Warrantor) warrants to the ORIGINAL CONSUMER PURCHASER ONLY, when purchased from an authorized Forest River Inc. dealer, for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase (Warranty Period), that the body structure of this recreational vehicle shall be free of substantial defects in materials and workmanship attributable to Warrantor. 

EXCLUSIONS FROM THIS WARRANTY: Warrantor expressly disclaims any responsibility for damage to the unit where damage is due to condensation, normal wear and tear or exposure to elements. Warrantor makes no warranty with regard to, but not limited to, the chassis including without limitation, any mechanical parts or systems of the chassis, axles, tires, tubes, batteries and gauges, optional generators, routine maintenance, equipment and appliances, or audio and/or video equipment. Their respective manufacturers and suppliers may warrant some of these items. Warranty information with respect to these items is available from your dealer.

The interesting part is that the language in bold, which appears to exclude any damage from "exposure to the elements", which would seem to leave out water damage from rainfall exposure. I sure hope that's not the way they actually evaluate it if the leak was indeed caused by a defect in workmanship or materials. Do please keep us posted. 

I think that the rPod spoilers are largely cosmetic and probably do litte if anything to reduce wind drag. So the only useful function they really perform is likely just providing a place for the marker lights, which could be done with a single hole. Experiences like yours are making me think about just removing my spoiler and using a little light bar for the markers, at least that way I can directly access the holes in the fiberglass for sealing and inspection. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pete_PDX View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 5:04pm
"Exposure to elements"

If the damage was due to golf ball sized hail, I can understand why Forest River would not support a warranty claim.

However, a leak due to rain, when the customer has been diligent about keeping seals good with Dicor I think is reason to approve.

Forest River reached out to me on Facebook and I am to be expecting a phone call from them tomorrow. We'll see how it goes! Thanks for your post!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 6:40pm
I agree with you, good luck!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 8:02pm
If there has not been damage I think FR will pay for the cost of repairing the leak.  However they will not pay to replace amy damaged areas of the POD as this is very clear in their warranty.  That being said, if the leak was caused by negligence on their part (e.g. someone forgot to caulk around the holes before putting on the spoiler than they would have to pay for the repairs).  But you would need a dealer to fight for you and tell FR the spoiler was not attached properly
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 7:50am
@Pete_PDX I saw one at a local used dealer that had the exact same leak. You say here that you have sealed with Dicor, etc., but it still leaked. 

Have you been able to isolate which part of the spoiler the water is actually entering from?
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 11:35am
Pete, if the leak is from the attachment of the spoiler with screws, you may be better off sealing the whole thing up.  I sealed mine with Eternabond not long after we bought our Pod and it never leaked.  What I can't recall is what I did along the aft edge of the spoiler.  I thought I had left it open for drainage, but in looking at the picture, I may have sealed the whole thing up all the way around.  

I was looking for a picture to send Wirat, and finally located it and in looking at the picture it looks like I sealed the aft edge too, though I may have left an opening somewhere along that edge.  Unfortunately, since we sold our Pod I can't go check.  

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply