This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHELP ME!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP ME!
    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 9:04am
HI EVERYONE,
I am looking into purchasing my first travel trailer and I am in love with the R-POD 189!
I am looking at all the customer reviews and BBB reports on Forest River and am very confused on if I should proceed!
But, with such a large R-POD nation - there must be more good than bad? 
Can someone respond about recalls, etc on a 2019 189?
Thanks. 
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:20am
i have a 2019 190 and a few problems but not too bad....great camper and we love it.  welcome.
2019 RPOD 190
2017 Chev Colorado 4 X 4
Yellow Lab and English Springer Spaniel
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 5:49pm
We bought a 2017 178 and we have not had any problems.  There were, and likely will always be, little annoyances but we also had a very good dealership who went through the unit thoroughly and gave us a full training session.
The problem is, people with good experiences won't be motivated to write on-line reviews about it nearly as much as those with negative experiences, so the on-line feedback can be quite skewed.
I would have no problem recommending an RPod!:-)
Kasper
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:46pm
If you search these boards you will find many posts from people inquiring about the quality build of the RPOD and what about negative views.  In a nutshell, do not read reviews.  All RVs in the same price point are built the same way and thus RPODs are no better or worse.  You will find negative reviews on all RVs.  If you like the RPOD buy it! Period.  If you are not handy than make sure you buy from a local dealer that can service it.  If you want to buy an RPOD from a cheap wholesaler in another state please find a local dealer first who can service it.  RVs are not like cars, only the dealer who sold you the RPOD has to honor the warranty and perform repairs. A local dealer cannot be forced by FR to repair your RPOD.  Look at the RPOD brochure it states clearly BUY LOCAL.  If you follow this advice you will have a great RPOD experience even if something goes wrong after the sale.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:56pm
And also consider buying a several year old Pod.  Many of them are in practically new condition and have already had all the warranty issues repaired.  And if you get a used one from a dealer, try to work out a 90 day warranty with them, then go through everything really thoroughly and get it fixed before the 90 days are up.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 7:01am
We have owned 2  R Pods-a 2011 173 and 2015 179 currently.  I have no problems recommending the units.  I have had no major problems with either unit.  I have made a lot of modifications and find them easy to work on and well built. We use them for long term(weeks and up to 3 months at a time) travel  and have put many thousands of miles on them. Maintenance and care go a long way in keeping them serviceable.
Most forums seem to be complaint departments.  This forum is full of good owners who pass on honest and intelligent information.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 7:35am
I believe (could be wrong)  that there have been 2 recalls on rPods, one on 2009-2011 models covering a marker lighting issue and on 2015's covering lug bolts shearing off. Nothing since. There have been complaints lodged with the NHTSA about tire blowouts, too low tongue weight causing sway, and blackwater tank flush overflowing. 

The marker lighting issue has been corrected on later models. Many owners have changed their tires out for higher rated ones. The lug bolt shearoff appears to have been limited to one run of trailers in the 2015 model year.  

Based on mutliple discussions on this and other forums there is a general consensus that the 3500 lb axles FR uses on the RPods can be a problem if you have a larger rPod, load it heavily, and travel on rough or potholed roads, resulting in the axle bending and wheels being mislighned. The large majority of owners haven't experienced this but its not extremely unusual either. There are fixes some owners, including myself, have done or are working on short of replacing the axle with a higher rated one. 

The tongue weight issue depends on your personal loading and tow vehicle situation, and every travel trailer owner needs to deal with that to be sure your loading is within specs for your trailer and tow vehicle. Lots of posts on how to do that here. 

The blackwater rinse problem sounds to me like a workmanship problem on that particular trailer. You will find that there are always some number of those issues on any RV you buy, unless perhaps if you get into the very high end ones, maybe. You will see other quality issues of that type if you review the forums. That just comes with the territory. 

If you're not handy you definitely should follow the advice here and have a relationship with a dealer or RV maintenance shop you like and trust. 

Good luck!

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 10:02am
We have been RVing for 50 years and I can honestly tell you that ALL (No matter how much you spend) RVs are going to have some issues from time to time.

Over these years I have owned several travel trailers and can say in all candor that most of them are manufacturee the same fundamental way.  I agree with the poster above who said "if you like it buy it"!

The secret to keeping a travel trailer is good preventive maintenance, no matter who the manufacturer.

I have found the RPod (190) to be a very simple, almost intuitive vehicle.  Have made several mods which were very very easy.

Buy it and have a GREAT time!!!!!!   WE LOVE OURS!!

Swampfox
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 3:10pm
Hi JB, We purchased our 177 back in January 2011 with very few problems over the years, in fact most of them, all minor, were owner induced.  Can't really add much to the wisdom of the above posters except that you will find a myriad of experienced men and women on this forum, and also on the Facebook r-pod forum who will quickly lend a hand and give you help if asked for.  That to me is worth a lot.  I have learned so much from others here; it is a great place to park and soak in a lot of useful information.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 5:24pm
We love our 190!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>