R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBack Up Camera

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back Up Camera
    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:25am
    We ordered a back up camera because with our tow vehicle we have a fiberglass topper and there is very little visibility while backing up. The side mirrors are about all I have and my wife is not able to help much with directions. So a back up camera for our camper I thought would be helpful and maybe will get one for our tow vehicle too. Those who have back up cameras on their campers do you find them very helpful? I wish our tow vehicle had one from the factory because I find it a little dangerous relying almost entirely on the side view mirrors. The camera and monitor we are getting allows for four cameras, so we may get a a second camera and mount to the back of our truck. The camera has audio so think that would be helpful if my wife or someone is in back of camper I would be able to hear them in the truck.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:34pm
Absolutely yes! Our previous TV had just a plain camera with no guides and even that helped with lining up the ball with the socket. My wife added some brightly colored paint to the socket to add even more visibility. On our current TV, the guide lines are adjusted by the steering wheel, which provides the additional feedback of letting us know when the TV is going straight back.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 4:42pm
     The camera arrived today in the mail and have it operating now. The wiring that was in place from the manufacture on the camper has it wired to the parking lights. So if I want to use the camera I need to turn the parking lights on in our tow vehicle. I guess that is the way it is suppose to work, the factory knows best. The camera is a Furrion Vision S with a 5" monitor. The screen is a little small but I think I will get used to it. It is wireless and in our driveway the picture is very good and the audio is good too. The first time I tried to back in our driveway in January when we arrived home from our vacation it was dark and raining and I ran one wheel of the camper off the driveway into the ditch. I damaged the stabilizer jack and had to buy a new one. So now I hope the camera will help next time I need to back up. We are  changing our driveway to a drive through so that should make it a lot easier won't need to back up as much. We live on kind of a busy road and with a drive through driveway I won't be rushed to get out of the way of traffic. Campers are fun to have but sometimes they can be such a pain hope the camera makes things a little easier.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 5:38pm
We have one on ours and I really like it.  It's connected to the parking lights so it's on all the time.  (I drive with the headlights on.)  I like seeing what's back there.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
wthoms2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 8:58am
Tip: use the backup light power, only on when backing up. This is according to the instructions for my camera.

Enjoy!
Porta Poddy
Wil and Luz, Orange County, CA
2017.5 179 HRE
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
REDARC Brake Controller
 Post Reply Post Reply