R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLets Make A Rear View/Backup Camera

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lets Make A Rear View/Backup Camera
    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 7:24pm
My fellow Pod'ers I thought I'd share this little project with you.

I have been wanting not only a backup camera but also a rear view camera when I tow the pod. Sorry but I don't subscribe to the first rule of Italian driving of "What's-a-behind me, does not-a-matter"! So I started looking at review backup camera's earlier this winter and wasn't to pleased on what I was finding for various reasons. Then it the light bulb went off in my dim mind that I had this old Asus Transformer Tablet just laying around collecting dust which has a 8.5" by 5.5" viewing screen, cool! So with that, WiFi transmitter, camera, some metal stock, and bits and pieces I fabricated a camera that bolts onto the rear tire holder.

Flat 1/8" thick bar stock with camera mounted near top along with wifi and the bolting brackets I fabricated.

Better view of camera.

Backside, showing simple box that encloses the camera, hookup wires from WiFi and power, and on/off switch.

Used these parts;

Now the question I have to all of you is where to tap off in the camper for 12Vdc? I need to find 12 volts all the time or better would be 12 volts only when the TV is hooked to the trailer. I don't want to power it when by running it off the running lights from the TV. That would be easy but I want it working with my TV headlights or running lights on or off. Soon as it gets a little warmer I crawl under the Pod and I'll find out but until then I'm all ears for your suggestions!

Hope this helps out anyone who desires a cheap full time rear view/backup camera.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
bankman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 9:06pm
I power my wireless camera from the running light left side....always on because I always tow with my lights on...
Semi retired, but still loving it....
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 9:43pm
I power my wireless camera from the license plate light....always on because I always tow with my lights on.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by crw8sr

I power my wireless camera from the license plate light....always on because I always tow with my lights on.

Is the license plate light on whether or not you have your headlight or running (parking) lights on? If so that would be the solution as to where I can tap off for power. Of course if I towed always with my headlights on there would be no problem but to be truthful I don't.
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 7:29pm
Nope, the license plate light is only on if your running lights are on. If you want to find somewhere to pick off the camera power that works if your lights are off you'll have to run some wiring futher afield. Or, consider changing your current practice, and start using your lights in the daytime. And, if you forget, your camera won't be working, so that would be a good reminder.Tongue
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Nope, the license plate light is only on if your running lights are on. If you want to find somewhere to pick off the camera power that works if your lights are off you'll have to run some wiring futher afield. Or, consider changing your current practice, and start using your lights in the daytime. And, if you forget, your camera won't be working, so that would be a good reminder.Tongue

Yep, that's what I thought, without the headlight or running (parking) lights on no power to the license plate light, drat! Your right its good practice to tow with your headlight on running lights on no disagreement. Though I want to find a point I can tap off for power so that the camera wifi stays linked even if the lights are off or if the TV itself is shut off. The reason why is so I can see behind the camper at all times and that the wifi and tablet don't have to go through the process of linking up again. I suppose in a week or two I'll get out and install my system and see what I can find out to tap off for power.
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 5:00am
If you tap an unswitched 12V supply, will you have to remember to manually shut off the camera whenever you're not using it? 

If you wind up tapping the battery + terminal for power, which might be the easiest, don't skimp, install an inline fuse at the battery to protect that wire from meltdown if you someday get a short to ground.  You can use the frame for the negative return. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by offgrid

If you tap an unswitched 12V supply, will you have to remember to manually shut off the camera whenever you're not using it? 

If you wind up tapping the battery + terminal for power, which might be the easiest, don't skimp, install an inline fuse at the battery to protect that wire from meltdown if you someday get a short to ground.  You can use the frame for the negative return. 

Thanks for the input offgrid. The camera system I built already has both an fused power supply and an on/off switch so those bases are at least covered.
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:55am
Dav, I can't tell from your pics(they are tiny)....is the wifi unit mounted with the camera and if so is it waterproof? 

I have a working Samsung S7 that I can use for a monitor. Can I use 2 cameras, one rear of pod, one rear of TV on one wifi transmitter? 
2016 R-Pod 176T
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Motor7

Dav, I can't tell from your pics(they are tiny)....is the wifi unit mounted with the camera and if so is it waterproof? 

I have a working Samsung S7 that I can use for a monitor. Can I use 2 cameras, one rear of pod, one rear of TV on one wifi transmitter? 

Motor7, Please forgive me for the small photos. I used a photo site that allows you to select for posting images on forums and what you see is the sad result. If anyone wants I can try to re-post the imagines in a larger format or you can PM me and I'll be glad to send them to you. I know its hard to see with my photos but at the very top is the wifi transmitter which leads run down to a box that contains the camera, fuse, and power on/off switch which is waterproof.

I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused how you phrased your question so I'll take a stab at answering what I think you are asking. Can you run two camera's through one wifi device? Yes, but not with an cheap over the shelf wifi transmitter as I used but a wifi transmitter that can transmit more then one IP and a much more sophisticated program that will show a split screen of both cameras. This is more like what you would see a security company use for home and businesses but yes its doable if you want to spend the money. You could also just "toggle" from one camera to another with a simple switch between two cameras, that are always on, if you want to do that to what ever your using as your monitor.

Hope this helps answer your questions?
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>