R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLets Make A Rear View/Backup Camera

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lets Make A Rear View/Backup Camera
    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 4:19pm
Kevinscamps, I like the look of that one.  
I noticed in the Camping World ad that they call their $400 camera an Observation System.  From now on I shall now refer to my clearance sale back up camera as an Observation System; I'm sure my friends and others will be really impressed.  

Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Kevinscamps

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMX3JH1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one seems to work great.  I just used the power for the license plate light.  Ran into two problems.  One it comes with too much cable which I wrapped in tape and coiled around the frame piece.  Second it didn't light the license plate light so I taped over much of the output of the light.

Kevinscamps, why didn't you just cut the wire and splice it so you don't have all this extra wire running around your license plate light? As for as it not lighting the license plate light I don't understand at all, sorry. When using the license plate light you should just tap off it for the power to run your camera. No big deal, remove license plate light holder, drill hole to run wires in to the hot and ground for the license plate then tap off them and reinstall your license plate bracket and your done.

I see your in Ft. Collins, CO. which is where my wife Grandparents lived, she grew up in Boulder, and we hope to make it there this summer. Mind if if we camp out in your driveway? LOL
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Kevinscamps View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:31pm
Sure thing camp away. I won’t be there anyway. The camera and transmitter are seperate items. All the wires had connectors on both ends so it would have been a cut, then resplice together. You beed to be careful with wires carrying video signals. I didn’t feel like causing problems.

geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:06am
I use a Swift Hitch camera on my truck camper.  The camera is permanently mounted and wired into the porch light for power.

If I wanted backup/rear view camera on my R-Pod, all I would have to do is add another Swift Hitch camera to my R-Pod.  I'd most likely place it inside attached to the inside of the rear window with a suction cup and powered with a cable to a cigarette lighter socket.

This is just a suggestion for another way of doing it.

I use the 7" color monitor in my truck: 

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by geewizard

I use a Swift Hitch camera on my truck camper.  The camera is permanently mounted and wired into the porch light for power.

There are many, many, different back up camera systems and numerous ways on how to install the camera system of your choice. The point of my thread here is to show other Pod owners there are low cost possibilities if your willing to do a little research and are a little bit handy with wiring. No one really has to go out and spend hundreds of dollars for these systems. No argument from me that some higher priced backup camera systems are allot better picture wise but what resolution do you really need to avoid backing into that telephone pole or to see the semi-truck barreling down the highway towards the rear of your camper! I promise you I have far less then 100 bucks in this system I built and if it works for one camping season and dies well that's how it goes no big deal to me! Big smile
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
mhfnet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 2:39pm
I put this wireless rear camera on my Rpod 179 so I see out the back to monitor traffic and when backing up, which is very easy to install. The camera is mounted just underneath the rear window so it can see over the bike rack with provided double stick tape, then the camera wire goes to the wireless transmitter module mounted by the license plate, again with provided double stick tape, and spliced into the license plate light for power. There does seem to be some interference on occasion that effects the picture on the display, but it's tolerable, however it would be better to have the wireless transmitter module mounted as close to the receiver/display as possible or maybe look at the newer digital wireless cameras. It also says the camera and wireless module is waterproof but there is another small module with connections between the camera and transmitter module that I wouldn't trust to be waterproof so I put silicone caulk around spots water could potentially leak into.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123