R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator Recommendation
    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 8:56am
I was fortunate enough to purchase a used Yamaha 2400 for a reasonable price.  Prior to purchase I made sure that it would operate the AC in the Pod.  Have not used it for camping yet but it came in handy when we lost electricity  for 10 hours this winter.
2022 RP-202
2016 RP-179 (Sold 9/2020)
2014 Silverado Crew Cab. 6-1/2' Bed
Golden Retriever (DOB 6/16/2020)
English Bulldog (RIP 6/15/2020)
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 10:22am
Originally posted by wvanauken

I went with two Honda 2200i and 2200i companion. I felt I would need the power at times and having something I could actually lift by myself without injury were the two main pros for me. 

We have the same configuration with Honda 2000i generators. Consider getting an external tank if you're staying more than one night. This is the one we have:

http://www.genxdirect.com/b-e-r-g-s/bergs-i/ipi-bergs-2-dual-generator-extended-run-fuel-system-tank-included-part-hnd1-2000id/

They sell one without the tank if you want to provide your own.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 11:34am
Originally posted by offgrid

Well, for sure everyone is entitled to their own opinions,  but not to their own facts. ... it is objective fact that an Easystart allows a Honda 2K to run a 13.5K RV roof air.

Well … In my opinion, there are several things wrong with this response.

#1. It displays slipshod reading resulting in going off half-cocked.

I said that the Honda 2200 watt “may not be so successful” as the more powerful Yamaha, as-is. This is an incontrovertible fact. That’s why some people have chosen to go with things like the over $300 Easystart (not counting installation) to enable their 2200 watt Honda to operate successfully.

#2 “People are entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts” is a derogatory statement entirely foreign to the R-Pod Forum culture. You are in effect saying, “I’m so smart and you’re so stupid”.

When I first joined this forum several years ago, the regard for others and respect for their opinions was noteworthy. Even when provoked, as in a notorious episode when Techntrek was accused of being involved in benefiting from a conflict of interest, the response of the forum was measured and reasonably polite.

#3 This is not the first time that this disparaging attitude towards others was displayed by Offgrid on this forum. It is hoped that others will not emulate this attitude or ‘newbies’ will become very hesitant about participating and this forum will lose much of its singular appeal.

I considered a private message ,or even a separate topic about this, but decided putting my views here was best. I have no interest in further controversy and I will therefore ignore any further notices on this thread.

I have my own quote about the permanence of facts that I am very fond of, by Keynes – “When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?”

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 12:26pm
Shane, as you can see, there is quite a wide divergence of opinion. Part of that is driven by what some people believe is "camping" and what other peoples opinion of the same thing is.

The main issue is what specific things do you "need" to run at the same time. If you need to run the AC, then you need to be able to sustain about 16 amps continuously. That is right at what a 2000 watt generator can provide. There are two problems then: (1) The startup current for the AC will go over that for a very brief period, and (2) Pretty much anything else can not be running at the same time.

If you go up to a 2200 watt generator, that will give you a little bit of headroom, as it will be able to sustain about 18 amps continuously. That means that it will be slightly easier to "start" the AC, but once started you might be able to run something very small. Maybe a few lights. Not much more.

If you go up to a 2400 watt generator, you "might" be able to start the AC (but it will be close). It will be able to provide about 20 amps continuous, which will provide a little more breathing room over the 2200.

At 2400 watts and below is the range most would consider "small and light". Once you get above this, you're going to get into heavier generators that will become a different sort of burden.

Personally, if we were going to carry a generator, I'd probably limit my search to 2400 watts and below. I know I can handle the weight, and I know how to do power management.

However, if you absolutely NEED to run the AC AND the microwave, then you should be looking at generators in the 3400 watt and above category. Understand that this will be heavy and a different sort of burden.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 2:54pm
We got a little heavier Chapion dual fuel 3100/2800 inverter generator.  I've tested it with the AC and it seems to start fine, but if you try to do a restart too soon, it'll bog down into overload.  I went and bought the Dometic hard start thinking it would give it the boost in needed to avoid starting issues, but when I went to install starting capacitor I discovered that there was already one exactly the same in the box that contains the run capacitor.  Now, I'm the proud owner of a new Dometic hard start capacitor that I can use.  #!%*&#$@%?!@  I would consider a soft start but for the number of times I'd use it, it wouldn't really be cost effective.  

I especially like the dual fuel, because, though it's a little bit less efficient, I don't have to mess with gasoline for the generator.  Just plug it into one of the spare 5 gal. LP tanks I carry.  The exhaust isn't as stinky and I won't have gasoline spills.  As for the generator being a little heavier, my wife and I never go camping with out the two of us and she's really strong. Between us, the generator is easy to get in and out of the truck.  The noise level of the Champion is, as measured in dB's, right in the same league as the Honda and the Yamaha, but it cost less than half the price.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 3:25pm
For the truck, I was thinking a simple ramp would help with a heavier generator The other option is the hitch mounted hoist made for hoisting deer.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 3:54pm
Well, again without any rancor nor intention to disparage anyone else's opinion:

As others have stated, generators under around 3.0-3.5Kw will not reliably and repeatably handle the start current required by our 13.5Kw roof airs without some type of soft start system on the compressor. Something smaller might start the air conditioner on a cool day with no back pressure but as lostagain says, on a hot day and the second a/c cycle the start current increases significantly. As is, without a/c start system mods, neither the 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4kW generators are sufficient. 

So, to have confidence, I agree with the many posters who recommend a minimum of about 3.5kW total generator capacity with no modiifcation to the a/c start setup. That capacity could be a singular generator or dual parallel generators. 

With a good soft start system, the startup current drawn by the a/c only miminally exceeds the operating current, so generators as small as the Honda 2.0 will start and run it reliably, if that is the only significant load on the generator. 

What constitutes a good start system? The Microair Easystart is known to work well. Others have tried using simpler more inexpensive approaches, with, as lostagain has observed, mixed results. A/C soft starts are not a difficult FYI install project, takes about an hour. 

If it is desired to run the battery charger at a high output level and/or the mircrowave and the a/c simultaneously, a higher power rating genny will be needed. The microwave requires about 1400 watts and the wfco charger at peak output (which it won't stay at very long) takes about 1kw. The a/c uses about 1700 watts while running.  Add up the total you want to run simultaneously to size your generator capacity.  If you want to run all of it at once you'll need about 4kW, but note that you might still need to turn off some of the other loads to be able to start the a/c, or add a soft start system. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by TheBum

Consider getting an external tank if you're staying more than one night. This is the one we have:
http://www.genxdirect.com/b-e-r-g-s/bergs-i/ipi-bergs-2-dual-generator-extended-run-fuel-system-tank-included-part-hnd1-2000id/ They sell one without the tank if you want to provide your own.

Very cool idea, but I think I'll just pour gas. 

Originally posted by StephenH

For the truck, I was thinking a simple ramp would help with a heavier generator The other option is the hitch mounted hoist made for hoisting deer.

Deer hoist, huh?  Love that idea!  I have never seen one before. 

I have a Briggs Powerboss 3500/5250 (there's no way it could ever flash 5250 watts.  That's 7.8 HP from a 6.5 HP engine).  I bought it long before I had an R-Pod, but it has, conveniently, a 30A RV plug.  It will start my supposedly unmodified A/C the first time so easily you barely hear it.  After that each restart makes a lot of exhaust noise for 2 to 3 seconds and then it is back to normal loafing.  Inside the trailer, the A/C runs and cools like it was plugged into the house.  It weighs 101 pounds sans fuel and I can lift it in and out of my SUV, but a deer hoist would make east work of lifting it. 

My brother has a Predator 3500 watt inverter and likes it.  I don't know how much use it has had, so I know nothing about its reliability.  He says it is comfortably quiet. 

Were I you, I'd go for a single 3500+ running watt generator, for efficiency and simplicity.  Briggs also makes a 3700/4500 watt inverter generator that will be quiet. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 9:00pm
I saw someone who ran a food truck on Predator 3500s. He said he changes the oil regularly, using full-synthetic oil. He said they have been reliable. Yes, it is quiet. We were carrying on a conversation standing right next to it while it was running and we didn't have to raise our voices or shout to be heard.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 11:35am
I'm currently in the process of adding tri-fuel capabilities to my Honda EU2000is, mainly so I can run them on propane when camping and natural gas when at home (for backup power purposes). It's a simple mod if you use the Hutch Mountain conversion kit.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>