R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator Recommendation
    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 2:36pm
I am looking to purchase a generator in the near future. My question is, what wattage should I be looking to purchase and far as running the air conditioner and a couple of other thing in the pod. I have a R-Pod 180. I would prefer a inverter generator due to them being a bit more quiet, but will buy a regular generator if needed.
ENGINE 55,TRUCK 44,BATALLION 12
Awchief View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 2:50pm
At least 3500 watts. The HFinverter generator has been getting very good reviews. US Carborator is now making a propane conversion kit to fit. 
Michael
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 2:54pm
For sufficient power at a decent price, the Predator 3500 is hard to beat. Just be sure to keep the oil changed and use a good quality synthetic. It gets good reviews. It will run the AC with enough capability left over to run other appliances at the same time.

We have a Generac iX2000 which is sufficient to run the generator, but not if other loads are running at the same time. That includes the converter trying to charge the batery. I added a Micro-Air Easy Start to our AC to add soft-start capability to the AC which really helps. We already had the iX2000 though. The Predator 3500 was not available when I bought the Generac. If it had been, I would have gone with the Predator for the additional capacity. However, I just can't justify buying it while the Generac is working.

I know the Predator 3500 is quiet. I have stood right next to two of them running and been able to carry on a conversation in normal voice and still hear everything clearly.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Shane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:03pm
Thank you for the quick responses. That's why I love this forum!
ENGINE 55,TRUCK 44,BATALLION 12
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:09pm
I recommend the Honda EU2200i combined with an Easystart. You can't beat the Honda's stellar reliability reputation. You have to consider the weight of the generator as you will be lifting it. The Honda weighs under 50 lbs. I've had back surgery once and have no interest in ever going through that again. You can convert the Honda to dual fuel use so you can run it from propane, works great, and no stinky gasoline smell or fouled carb. 

As StephenH says, an Easystart allows the Honda to start and run the a/c just fine. While it is true that you can't run the microwave at the same time, I don't find that to be a hardship at all. Turn off the a/c for the few minutes a day you're running the micro. The Honda will run the charger and the microwave at once unless the battery is really deeply discharged, in which case, again, you can turn off one or the other for a little while.

One thing to consider is what you plan to do with the generator. In most every campground, you have nighttime quiet hours so you wan't be able to run any genny at night for the a/c. That might or might not be a consideration for you, it is for me here in NC summer. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Awchief View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:24pm
Keep in mind that Honda 2200s are being recalled and many places have pulled them off their shelves until further notice. 
Michael
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Shane

My question is, what wattage should I be looking to purchase and far as running the air conditioner and a couple of other thing in the pod.

1. You can't buy a 'regular' generator and not make enemies of your neighbors in the rv park.

2. Like most of life, this requires trade-offs. A 3500 watt generator is gonna weigh around 100 pounds but I bet it will run just about everything in the pod. That weight may not be a problem for a healthy young man, but it might be a major one for a lightly built woman (to say nothing of an out of condition middle-aged man). 

3. Honda and Yamaha are the two most respected brands. I believe (but may be wrong) that a 75 pound 2400 watt Yamaha will run the a/c but you may have to shuffle some things around to run a hair dryer or cook a pie at the same time. 47 pound 2200 watt Hondas may not be so successful because they're not quite as powerful.

3. Two smaller (and lighter) generators can successfully be put in parallel, but the total cost is higher.

This topic generates a lot of opinions so you may want to balance all of our comments very carefully before you buy to get something that will meet your needs well. 
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

. 47 pound 2200 watt Hondas may not be so successful because they're not quite as powerful.

3. Two smaller (and lighter) generators can successfully be put in parallel, but the total cost is higher.

This topic generates a lot of opinions so you may want to balance all of our comments very carefully before you buy to get something that will meet your needs well. 

Well, for sure everyone is entitled to their own opinions,  but not to their own facts. What you get is in the end a matter of opinion, but it is objective fact that an Easystart allows a Honda 2K to run a 13.5K RV roof air. Many of us do so on a regular basis. 

The dual small genny approach is spendy for sure but if I felt I had a need for more power that's what I'd do. Its waay cheaper and more fun than back surgery. Ouch 50 lbs is the standard OSHA single worker lift limit BTW, so its not just for "out of shape" middle aged ppl. 80% of Americans have suffered from back pain at least once. I sure wish I had followed the 50 lbs rule when I was younger and stronger....

The Honda fuel leak issue will certainly be fixed, you can depend on a Honda or a Yamaha to correct those kind of problems, they have way too much invested in their brands not to.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
wvanauken View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 7:32pm
Just purchased the Honda generator. Recall on the fuel valve. This has been repaired and all is OK.
wvanauken View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 7:39pm
I went with two Honda 2200i and 2200i companion. I felt I would need the power at times and having something I could actually lift by myself without injury were the two main pros for me. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>