R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMirror Extenders On 2005 GMC Envoy SLT - Event Date: 05 Apr 2019 - 11 Apr 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Mirror Extenders On 2005 GMC Envoy SLT
    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 3:46pm
Good afternoon everyone!

New Rpod ownership day fast approaching.  2 weeks from today we’ll be at RVNation just outside Cincinnati getting ourselves acclimated.  Then it’s off to Indiana for our first ever weekend camping trip with our new Rpod!!!!

Two issues I still need help with.  I will deal with them separately.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Looking to purchase mirror extenders for our 2005 GMC Envoy SLT.  Initial research suggested possibly a CIPA Custom Towing Mirror Slip-on for both driver and passenger sides.  

Then I came across the etrailer.com website, and they suggested a set of K-Source clip ones that supposedly install easily by clipping to the lip around the edge of the mirror housings and are very secure. Part #KS3891-2.  Not sure whether etrailer.com carries the CIPA Custom Towing Mirror Slip-on-mirrors.

As a relative newbie to the trailer towing world, I thought I could just go out and purchase a standard slip-on, just like a TV remote.  Since then I’ve learned that mirror extenders are somewhat specific to the towing vehicle, and that not all of them fit securely onto your mirrors.

So, looking for some suggestions.

Thanks again,
Jack

2019 1/2 10th Anniversary Rpod 179
2005 GMC Emvoy SLT
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 4:28pm
The r-Pod, unless you're getting a 195, is narrow enough that you probably don't need mirror extenders.  Our Dakota is not as wide as a standard truck and I can see fine with our stock mirrors.  Before buying our Pod, I bought a couple of slide on mirrors in anticipation of needing them.  It turned out they were unnecessary and are now collecting dust in the garage.

Years ago, I had a Dodge 1500 that I used to tow a cargo trailer that was wide enough to need mirror extenders.  I bought a set of slide on that fit over the stock mirrors and they worked just fine.  Slip on mirrors are specific to each vehicle, but there are a number of sellers and you shouldn't have any problem finding a pair that fit fine, if it turns out you need or want them.  

Good luck on picking up you new Pod.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 4:54pm
Congratulations on your Pod.
I have a set of extenders, used them once or twice and found I can see fine without them.

Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 5:51pm
We don't need extenders with our F-150, but it is probably a bit wider than an Envoy (but I don't know for sure). As others have said, you may want to try it without them, as one of the advantages of an R-pod is that they are narrower than your garden variety travel trailer.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:23pm
+1, I don't need extenders on my Highlander either. Try it without them first and see if you have any issues. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 11:07am
Although I can see pretty much adequately with our Frontier and 179, I opted to go for towing mirrors from 1A Auto.
The ones I got for our Nissan Frontier are manual extend, but electrically controlled, heated mirrors. They also have the convex mirror section that assists with a wider field of view. When extended, they provide an even better view of what is behind us while I am towing. They also make my little Frontier look like a grown-up truck. Thumbs Up

They aren't cheap, but I figure they are worth the cost for the better view they provide, not just while towing, but for everyday driving. They are not hard to install either in the Frontier. I would think they are not difficult to install in other vehicles either.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 2:36pm
I don't want to be a party pooper, but ...

#1 Are you sure you need one?? The r-pod is pretty narrow.

#2 Will/Does the mirror extend so far out, and be so low, that pedestrians, and especially bicyclists, are in danger as you go past them??
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:44pm
I use mirror extenders and I'd recommend that you do too. Why you may ask when it seems you can see okay around your camper with your rear view mirrors? One work SAFETY, enough said.... 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 2:15am
Perceptions of what's safe and unsafe vary a lot. When that happens I'm interested in what the regs say. 

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-mirrors/

Here's a link to a digest of mirror regs by state and province. Most of them are pretty fuzzy. The most common is a requirement to see a minimum of 200ft to the rear. Iowa requires you to retract extension mirrors when not towing. I happen to be in HI ATM (not with my pod) and apparently there are no mirror requirements at all here. Hang loose!

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 7:50am
I don't think enuf emphasis has been put on other's safety, especially bicyclists.

Standard side view mirrors are a hazard, about 1/20 bicycle injuries are due to them.

See Table 2

Sticking on an additional extension can't make it better.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>