R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDometic RM8551

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dometic RM8551
    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 6:01pm
My Dometic RM8551 crapped out in my RP171.  Has anyone been able to order this online in the US, or do I need to go through a FR dealer?  RM8555 is a newer replacement.  Any other 3-way refrigerators that anyone has used as a replacement?

BTW...my problem has been going on for over a year.  It stops working on LP, I take it in, they clean it and it works.  When I take it home and travel, it stops working.  Not entirely, just the flame dies down and it does not get cold enough.  Had it cleaned 4-times, and the regulator replaced as the tech said maybe that was plugged and not getting enough LP.  I've had it.  Time to replace.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 6:39pm
You may have some contaminated propane and/or deteriorating propane lines or contaminants inside the lines.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 6:41pm
I ended up buying a new fridge directly from FR after a bad experience with someone else installing and messing up a Norcold.  It's an RM8501 and the price was very competitive.  Casita had it also for a pretty good price, but FR was cheaper.  If you are a vet, be sure to mention it if you get it from FR.  The FR and Casita prices were way lower than anywhere else I could find.  The refrigerator was the exact replacement for the old Dometic we had in our 172 that conked out a couple years ago.  

If you call the parts department at FR, they can look up exactly what fits your 171.  My trailer is pretty old so I had to do a minor wiring change for the 12vdc operation to make the wire a little heavier than the original, but it was easy and they were helpful with some technical advice.  

I installed it myself and it has worked very nicely ever since.  I salvaged the pancake/muffin fans from the old fridge and added them up by the upper vent to give a boost to air movement for hot days.  Someday when I'm feeling really frisky, I'll put a thermostat switch in to automatically turn them off and on.  For the time being I have just a toggle switch.  I didn't connect them to the fridge fan circuit because it has a low amp fuse that could blow if two more fans were connected.  

I gave the old fridge to the RV dealer where I occasionally buy stuff.  They wanted it for parts.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Brianh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 7:41pm
Contaminated lines?  Hadn't thought of that.  Are the lines easily replaced?  I haven't looked, are they copper or some other material?
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 8:23pm
Copper and rubber hose (which can deteriorate).
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Brianh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 9:04pm
I searched a bit more about clogged lines.  Going to try and blow out tomorrow and see if that works.  It makes sense this could be the problem as it works for a while, then when I travel it stops working.  Thanks again!
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 9:58pm
Have you noticed any other problems with your stove or hot water heater when on gas? Long shot thought .....  but you might want to take the regulator to a LP company to check out. I've heard of regulators that go flaky like that so it might be worth a roll of the dice to check it out or replace it. As far as a new refrigerator just ask the almighty Google and I'm sure it will spit out many sources. Wink 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Brianh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 10:34pm
I had the regulator replaced.  Frig worked for 1-day.  When I relocated...didn't work again.  I'm really hoping, its the line. 
Brianh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 10:35pm
The repair guy said the frig takes lower pressure than stove and furnace, and if regulator plugged would cause frig to not work.  This seems in line with a plugged line as well.  No...no problems with stove or furnace.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 6:21pm
Maybe he meant lower volume of gas, since all those appliances are on the same low pressure propane supply.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>