Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR Pod 179 new owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R Pod 179 new owner
    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 5:03pm
I just got my first R Pod. Tons of questions, but most will work themselves out.. Next week I am installing the 200 watt Renogy Solar panels as part of my power system.. I am also looking at generators.. I have a Coleman Powermate 1850 that is quiet, but not sure it will run the TV and probably will not start the AC unit..The AC unit for the most part will not be a big issue living in Oregon on the coast.. But there might be a time.. So I have been looking at inverter generators.. A local shop has the Energizer eZV2000P for $499.00. It is Parallel capable and seems to get some good reviews. Does anyone have experience with this product.. Also would on it's own work the AC? I am a HAM Radio operator amd look forward to making this my portable Ham Shack...
KG7ITJ
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 5:15pm
Welcome!

The generator you first mentioned would run the TV quite easily. The second generator you mentioned would likely run the AC if you add an EasyStart device to the AC.

https://www.microair.net/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
BobG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 5:19pm
Thanks.. I wonder if with the easy start i could not use my Coleman.. Thanks again
KG7ITJ
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 6:18pm
Just be aware that inverter generators create a LOT of hash on HF. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
BobG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 7:03pm
Yikes, well can shut that down will on the radio.. I was wondering about that.. One of the reasons for the 200 watt solar panels... 
KG7ITJ
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 9:46pm
Anything with 'inverter' in the name will include some kind of high speed switching power supply or buck/boost voltage converters and those all generate noise.

Distance helps, but this RF noise can also propagate along the extension cord from the genset that's 50 feet away. And even standard non-inverter generators can make a racket on HF, esecially 80 and 40 meters.

Many MPPT solar controllers are also noisy, most PWM controllers are less noisy, I've had good luck with Morningstar and Renogy PWM types. In fact, the Morningstar Pro-Star PWM-15 that I have is 'telco' rated with an internal jumper for making the unit even quieter by reducing the switching speed. The Victron MPPT controller I have is quite noisy.

Also, laptop chargers and phone chargers can be very noisy on HF and VHF. Be ready to install some ferrites!

BTW if you find you have local noise that ruins your listening ability on HF, either at home or on the road, and you have internet, you can always 'cheat' and use a web-based SDR receiver:

I especially like this one:

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 10:08pm
Welcome and congratulations. I hope you have many great adventures and make many wonderful memories doing so with your RPod 179. We've enjoyed ours very much and I have made a number of modifications to make it even more to our liking. It is a great little trailer.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 8:50am
Greetings:
I am a ham also.  My call is KR0K and I live in MN.  When I bought my 179, I had the dealer install a wireway cover into the extension by the bed.  That allows me to run the coax and ground out though the opening.  When not in use it closes up tight.  I'm mainly on HF and have a CrankIR portable antenna that works well.  I've really enjoyed my 2015 179. Prior to buying it I owned a R-171.  I travel by myself so I installed a twin size innerspring mattress and put a shelf behind it.  I tow it behind a F-150 with a 125,000 miles on it  I usually stay in State parks but go to a couple of antique steam and farm shows where I dry camp.  I have a 2000 watt Honda inverter which I've used for about 12 years and it still runs great.  You get what you pay for.  Hondas are expensive but they last a long time.  I use the Honda for field day also.

Safe travels and good propagation

73's

Crankster78
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 10:06am
Maybe we should start a ham radio thread, share ideas. In fact, I refer to my r-pod locally on the air as my 'radio-pod'....

Geek
BobG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 11:47am
KR0K does your Honda run your AC? I put my IC-7000 in the camper with a Myantenna longwire.. I have a fiber glasss mast I can hoist up about 25' Look forward to doing some DX

KG7ITJ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>