R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReally want one but, can I tow it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Really want one but, can I tow it?
    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 11:54am
Originally posted by megan_hslib

I think maybe my question should have been, can anyone share experiences of towing a pod with a mid-size SUV with a tow capacity of 5,000 lbs. I think it can work out. I just wanted some info from people with first hand experience. 😊
If that's the question, then no problem. It should do just fine. You may still want a weight distribution hitch (WDH) or at least an anti-sway bar. If your vehicle doesn't have the augmented cooling (transmission, oil) then you may want those as well.

I come from the land of overkill tow vehicles so that I don't have to split hairs WRT towing capacity.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by megan_hslib

I think maybe my question should have been, can anyone share experiences of towing a pod with a mid-size SUV with a tow capacity of 5,000 lbs. I think it can work out. I just wanted some info from people with first hand experience. 😊

When we purchased our 177 back in 2011 we had an '08 Explorer with a tow capacity of 5,000 lbs.  Yes, it had the tow package with a transmission cooler and it was only 2 of us.  That being said, we have taken it to some very steep mountain passes in the Rockies on a few occasions as well as the more moderate areas in the Smokies.  A few years ago we upgraded to a '13 Explorer (2 WD) with the same 5,000 lb tow capacity.  In both cases we have been pleased with the ability to travel where we wish to go.  Granted our 177 is probably lighter than most (2440 lbs) but since we normally boondock we carry 2 12volt batteries, 2 20# propane tanks and a full tank of fresh water.  We travel with a anti sway-bar link and have traveled over 25,000 miles with it over the past 8+ years of ownership.  Do we know we are towing it, yes, especially on those long mountain grades in the Rockies.  But, we are not in a race to see who makes it to the top first, take your time, enjoy the glorious scenery and enjoy the camping experience.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 2:27pm
If the factory says tow capacity is 5000 lbs, you will be fine.  We pulled our 180 with a 4500 lb towing capacity Jeep and it did very well.  We never traveled with all of tanks full, just 1/2 tank of fresh water.  Our course our speed was limited but did not realize it until after we got our truck and was flying down the highway.  You do not want to fly down the road with a single axle RPOD even if you could.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 3:18pm
The suitability of any tow vehicle depends on the weight you propose to move.  If you use your Hyundai to tow within it's capacity then you'll likely do alright.  If you overload the vehicle, it will put considerable stress on it and it will not perform well.  

Add up all the people you propose to carry, along with all their supplies and stuff along with the trailer.  If you are pushing the tow capacity of the TV, then you either have to cut back on cargo, including people, and/or the weight of trailer to stay within the TV capacity or get a TV with more capacity.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 6:33am
I tow with a 5000 lb rated Highlander and its fine, but I don't have 6 people in it. I do have a heavy trailer though. Best way is to do the weight calculations and see. Here is a towing calculator you can use. 

For the trailer, do NOT use the emplty weight the manufacturer provides, its very misleading. leaving out the a/c unit. the microwave, the battery, the water in the water heater, etc.  Your trailer will weigh at least 350-400 lbs more than that before you put any water in the tanks or stuff in the trailer. Depending on which trailer a lot of that will be on the tongue.  If you want to boondock you can add another 300-350 or so lbs for water, an extra battery, and maybe an extra propane cylinder. My 179 laoded for boondocking weighs in at about 3800 lbs with 550 on the tongue. So that's about 1000 lbs above the "empty" weight and 260 lbs above the listed tongue weight.  

For the tow vehicle, add in the weights of all the ppl and gear, noting that a lot of the gear will be on the rear axle so will subtract from your tongue weight capacity. I put minimal gear in my Highlander. 

As others have said, you should also check to see what you don't have that comes with the tow package and see if you want to add any aftermarket items that you're missing.  And yes, you will most likely want a weight distribution hitch, but that doesn't let you exceed your tow vechile tongue weight rating. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
megan_hslib View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:47am
Originally posted by lostagain

If you are pushing the tow capacity of the TV, then you either have to cut back on cargo, including people, and/or the weight of trailer to stay within the TV capacity or get a TV with more capacity.

So leave the kids behind!  Got it. LOL.  Actually, since my husband and I are both on second marriages and our kids go to their other respective parents regularly, the vast majority of our usage of whatever we buy will just be the two of us. We'd probably only take the 4 girls once or twice a year.  At other times, if my mom or sister and husband wanted to come, they'd drive their own car.  

But I do need to load the car and go weigh it to get a better idea.  Where can I do this?  Truck stop? What is the cost?  
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:57am
Weight is weight, whether people or cargo.  You are dealing with what are effectively absolute safety limits.  If you don't want to get a new TV, then take a TV and another car to distribute the weight and stay with in the capacity of your TV.  

As for where to weigh, google "public scales near me" and find some places close by.  Call them and arrange a good time to drop by with your loaded trailer [including all passengers or their equivalent weight] and you can see how you stand.  Good luck with your adventure.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:50am
We towed our 179 for two years with a 2012 Highlander SE (3.5L V6, 5000 lb tow rating) with no issues. It handled mountains better than I though it would, only starting to struggle once the grades got above 9%. Our Highlander had the factory tow prep package.

We have a 2019 Durango GT Plus (3.6L V6) with tow package now and, thus far, it seems to pull better than the Highlander, as I would expect since it's a more strongly rated power train. We haven't had it on any steep grades yet, so the jury is still out. It's rated up to 6200 lbs towing.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 10:06am
Megan_hslib, do you know what the cargo capability of your Santa Fe is (irrespective of the towing limit)?

For example, if the cargo capability is 900 lbs (I don't know what it is for the Santa Fe, so that is a pure guess), then you could carry two people (estimate 300 lbs), plus the tongue weight for an average RP-179 (estimate 400 lbs), and 200 lbs of "other stuff". You would be surprised how easy it is to have 200 lbs of other stuff.

More often than not, it's the cargo capability of the tow vehicle that is the limit before the tow rating.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 10:39am
We tow a 2018 190 with a 2004 Explorer Sport trac V6.  It does a great job.  However, I really improved the ride and stability of the ride by installing a weight distribution hitch along with my anti-sway.....As with any V6, you aren't going to be the first one to the mountain top, but it is more than sufficient and will give you a comfortable tow.  I also like the extended towing mirrors in order to see what is behind me and not just what is in the adjacent lane.

As with all towing, the gas mileage really sucks and to be really safe, don't hurry down those mountain grades either.  Gear down if you have to, but it only takes a moment longer to get to the bottom.  ENJOY THE TRIP!!!!

Having said all that, I must say that it is just the wife and I and we try not to haul a lot of stuff that we can buy along the way.   Grocery shopping is a good way to take a break.LOL

Take Care and have a great time in your POD.
Swampfox
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>