R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewbie and silly question...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie and silly question...
    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 12:11pm
Well sort of silly! First, hello! I'm looking at buying an R-Pod hopefully this Spring. I've been watching and lurking for some time and gathered quite a lot of info - huge thanks!!!

I finally was able to go and see one but have to say... wasn't impressed with how it was kept. I love the layout (looking at the 179) but the dealer didn't seem to take care of it. Dirty and .. here is the silly question... the stickers were all peeling off! Do you normally have that happen on a 'new' camper? This one is a 2018 and seemed to be a bit rough. I've seen tons of pictures and not seen that. This is a local dealership which I was looking to go through as it's highly recommended and for upkeep but if they can't keep the stickers in decent shape, how are they going to handle bigger issues? Is looking for a dealer further away a better option if my gut is saying these guys aren't that great?

Suggestions? Thoughts? This will be my first camper but have owned an RV in the past. I also have a 2015 Ford Explorer with a 5k towing package - sweet! And wanted to stay with the smaller campers as it's just me and my tween who will mostly be in her tent!

Thanks and looking forward to starting my adventures!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 12:36pm
Hello and welcome!

First off, this is not a silly question by any means. What "stickers" are you talking about? Are you talking about the decals that are the graphics on the front, back, and sides or about stickers like the ones for tire pressure, black water tank flush, or water fill? That makes a difference. The decals are made to last. The stickers, perhaps not so much.

If you feel uncomfortable with the dealer, you should go to one that gives you a good feeling about the whole dealer package which includes the service after the sale. As others have said, issues with the RPod can be fixed. Issues with the dealer are much more difficult.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
tongatam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 12:54pm
Thanks Stephen! The large r-pod stickers on the front and back and some random ones like the solar sticker by the door.

And I think you're right.. just felt like they didn't care much. I did find a dealership another hour away but think it's worth it to go check em out! We also have 2 great places in the immediate area that do repairs that I've worked with in the past and are wonderful.

Gut 1 - Bad Dealer 0!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:12pm
tongatam, the graphics stickers over the years do tend to come off, depending on sun exposure, though a 2018 model, often made in 2017, it seems a little premature.  Depending on how willing you are to drive, you can find a number of r-Pods for sale.  Don't forget to check this forum's flea market.  

The pealing stickers should be less of a concern than the fact that the trailer is dirty [I assume you mean inside].  If the inside is dirty, then it suggests that the prior owner didn't take real good care of it and you may end up with more serious issues than just a thorough housekeeping job.  Take your time looking and you should be able to find a hardly used Pod in really good condition.  Good luck.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 4:10pm
When I picked up my new 2012  177  a couple of the graphics had started to peel off. The dealer ordered new ones and put them on when they came in.  No problem.  Your dealer is 95% of your pod experience.. if their after service  sales has a good rep.  see what they will do about the stickers.  And stay with them.

Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:31pm
Tongatam, make that Gut 2, Bad dealer 0.  We had the same problem when we purchased our 177 back in 2011.  Local dealer in Cadillac was 1 hour away but wouldn't deal and wouldn't return our phone calls.  Another dealer in Escanaba, 4 hours away gave us a sweet deal, and spent a lot of time with us when we did our run through upon purchase.  He spent 2 hours going through everything on the pod and told us to please call, text, or anything if we ever had any issues or problems.  He went the extra mile for us, we did the same for him.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:39pm
If you get one heck of a deal,
If you can clean and repair without getting in to deep,
If you have the ability to fix it,..................maybe.
But why is it so dirty and rough?  Somebody didn't care about.
Go with your gut.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
tongatam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 8:50am
you are all the best! and with a little more research and poking around, already found another dealership a bit further away but reasonable, at a better price.. and stickers intact! And by the way, the one with the peeling stickers and dirty insides - was NEW! No other owner yet! I almost feel bad for it and want to take it home and fix her up like a puppy in the pound.. but then I'd not want to work with that dealership again. This new place, very responsive, very nice... we shall see how this works out!

Then I can post.. newbie with a new 179! Woot!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 2:49pm
Glad you found a dealer you can work with! 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
tongatam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 4:59pm
quick update! ditched that other place and found myself a 2019 R-Pod 179 - Anniversary edition! Just a tad excited... I sign the papers on Wed, then she is ALL mine! Woot!!! :-)

And so glad I went to peek at the other model.. such a huge difference! The 2018 at the dealership with the peeling stickers is in rough shape compared. It's been viewed a lot and not kept up or cleaned.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/)~~~~~
2019 179 R-Pod ~ Daisy Mae
yesterdays are over my shoulder, so I can't look back for too long.
there's just too much to see, waiting in front of me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>