R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Wash/Wax

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 1tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wash/Wax
    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 10:56am
So, living in the pod and dragging it around 3500 miles over the course of 2 months has been exciting.  But it looks kinda tired from the dirt and smooshed bugs all over the front and dirt thrown up from the road.  How do you wash and wax your pod.

I'm getting over cancer and chemo and feel great all things considered.  But climbing tall ladders is a little dicey right now.  I'll be doing this alone for the most part.

Thanks
crw8sr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote crw8sr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 2:53pm
I use a car wash brush that extends to about 6'. (Costco)  And Meguiar's car wash.
I don't do ladders either!
Congratulations on your Pod AND beating cancer.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 3:16pm
The owners manual says use a mild detergent.  Some feel special soap in needed while others use a mild dish soap, such as Dawn.  I'm on my way out to give our Pod a good spring washing and will be using Dawn and an extension brush for washing cars.  To reach the roof, you may need to go up a short distance on a step ladder, depending on your height.  But, what the heck, no one can see the roof anyway. Big smile

For more serious washing and waxing we, like crw8sr, use Meguiar's products.  

Good luck with your washing project and hope you continue to feel better.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Motor7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Motor7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 6:03am
Uh oh, this can go like an oil thread.....but, I don't consider Dawn mild and it can strip wax. A few years ago I read a suggestion of Spic & Span. I remember my mom using it in the kitchen...back in the 70's and I don't think I ever owned a box of the stuff. But I did get some, tried it and like it. Just shake a few tablespoons out into a 5 gal bucket and fill with water. It cleans well, will not strip wax and it's cheap. 

On another note, I did strip the wax on the new to me pod(was not much there) and tried Nu-Finish instead of wax for a change. It worked very good on the sides, but the nose took several coats since it was already starting to fade. Same with the fiberglass rear cap. We will see how it holds up. 
2016 R-Pod 176T
crankster78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote crankster78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 7:50am
Greetings:
Being 79 and with some health issues,  I don't like climbing a ladder either.  I used Camco RV wash and wax to clean my 179.  I used a window cleaner with a 8 foot handle to give me the reach.  It worked well and I rinsed it off as I was going along.  Not perfect but a major improvement with not much work.  I did use the ladder to do the roof, but I could do the width from 1 side and only had to climb it a few times.  Now I need to do the inside and check all systems.  I use a cover in the winter and it looks good after 4 years.  

Crankster78  R 179 2007 f-150
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 8:54am
Dawn also can strip crude oil off ducks without doing more damage than Exxon already did.  If Dawn is good enough for a duck, it's good enough for our Pod. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Toyanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 8:55am
1tulip
Glad you're feeling better. If your in the Bakersfield Ca area on your travels, come by and I will help you wash it.
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 12:58pm
  Amazon.com and Camping World sell what I have been using and have been very happy with it.          "Gel-Gloss RV wash and wax", I think amazon.com has the lower price. There are many good products I am sure and Dawn may be the lowest cost. I use the same Gel-Gloss wash and wax to wash our truck. I pour some in a bucket of water and use a brush attached to pole not a very big job. But I am sure you recovering from cancer it could be difficult and I am sorry to hear that.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 11:33am
In addition to MeGuiar's for waxing I also use a product called 'Protect' (comes in a spray bottle) for keeping the decals in pristine condition.  The decals on our 177 still look very good, even after 10 years.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Mooree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mooree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 6:36am
My RV has been sitting in my yard in the South Florida sun for over two years without being touched. Mildew has applied a fiberglass finish. I've been on the hunt for RV washes and waxes. I can't believe GelGloss not only cleans the camper, but actually gives it a shiny look. There's no need for scrubbing.I would be proud to go to any RV park after using this product.
 Post Reply Post Reply