R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBike rack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike rack
    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 2:06pm
I am going on an extended road trip this summer and need a bike rack for my fat tire bike. It has to go on the hitch on the back of my RP179. Since the spare tire is also there, I am either looking at an extension on the hitch (doesn’t sound like a real good idea to me) or just taking the tire off and stowing it in the truck bed. I’m looking at. Saris bike rack for just one bike. Does anyone have advice on good bike racks for the camper? Also, does anyone know the weight limit on the back hitch? Forest River really needs to issues comprehensive manuals on these campers. A real shortcoming on their part, I think. Thank goodness for the Owners Forum.
Deb in Alaska
DGH
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 3:56pm
The receiver socket on the back of my r-pod 171 has a sticker that says "Maximum Capacity 150 Pounds"

As far as the manual, here ya go:

Select your year model, then travel trailer. Depending on the year, you may have to select the model, ie: r-pod.

As you browse thru, you will also find some videos listed on the right side of the page in some of the sections. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:50am
I recently purchased an Allen 2 bike rack (Model 525) that we used for a 2 week trip through central Texas.  It worked very well and has a 1-1/4 hitch with a 2" adapter so one could remove it from the rPod and put it on the truck. Our rPod has a tightening screw that helped stabilize the rack while moving.  You may need to check on it occasionally as it did loosen up.  I would replace the bolt with something more heavy duty so it doesn't shear off when you tighten it.  Don't ask!

It did seem to work really well and I was glad to have the bikes on the trip.

Safe travels,
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:11pm
I would seriously consider not carrying your bike (or bikes) on that back receiver. 

For one thing, the carrying capacity is very limited, AND the bikes increase the moment arm (which reduces the capacity from what you might expect). Further, putting a 2" to 1-1/4" adapter on there increases the moment arm even more.

Secondly, the bikes will be completely out of sight. If they come loose, or start dragging, you will not only lose your bike(s), you may injure someone (or worse).

Much better to pack your bikes in the back of your TV (if you have a pickup), or even inside the R-pod where they would be shielded from mud and other road debris.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:25pm
I second the above. 

Out of curiosity, I placed a gopro camera inside my trailer facing rearwards during a short local trip and after viewing the video, I was amazed at how much the whole trailer bounces around. 

You dont see this or feel this from the drivers seat, but it was enough to jar things around, especially some heavier items placed at the back, on the bed in my 171. A laptop and a solar panel lying on the bed looked like they were bouncing on a trampoline!

I assume the spare tire or a bike rack would get the worst of it.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply