R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator Recommendations
    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:53am
I'm looking to buy a quiet generator, primarily to charge our two batteries.  We do a lot of state parks that don't have electric hook ups.  I can get about four nights  but would like to be able to stay longer without worrying about battery capacity.  Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:21am
If that is all you want to do, a smaller inverter generator can suffice. You would only be able to operate it during limited hours anyway. Some of the smaller generators can be easier to lift, such as the 1000 watt or under models. Harbor Freight has a TailGater 900 Max Starting/700 Running 2 cycle generator for $109.99 but its 91 dB sound rating is not likely to make you any friends. Walmart's web site lists a Sportsman 1000 Watt Inverter Generator ( Walmart # 550149034) for $179 that has a 51 dB sound rating. That is much better. It weighs 21 lbs according to the specs listed, so would be easy to carry. Hopefully, this will give you some idea as to what to do.

With any of these generators, plugging the RPod in to charge the battery/batteries is about all you will be able to do beside run the lights. They would be inadequate for the microwave and definitely not suitable for running the AC.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:28am
Sounds like solar may be what you need if you are just needing to manage batteries.  have you looked at that yet?  100 watt panel should suffice and you can get all your questions answered from the forum. 
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:57am
The problem with solar in the East is that if you happen to be camped in deep shade with no solar access or run into a long period of cloudy days it won't do you much good. The rest of the time it should do fine for what your needs are. Your choice depending on how and where you camp, and a lot of folks carry both solar and a small genny. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
ilthyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 10:10am
I dry camp lots and have a 120 solar panel permanently mounted on top of my truck . The panel is hinged so I can pose it towards the sun. It charges a battery/inverter which puts out 12 volts DC, and 110 AC. I actually have two of those to use. 
While the initial cost is fairly high, it works, especially with judicious electrical loading. I have an external switchbox so I can choose between trailer battery or one of the solar batteries.
Regarding a generator, I would strongly advise buying one that puts out a minimum of 2000 watts. It won't power a microwave, but will handle your furnace. I bought an induction cook plate which draws less power.

Remember, most generators are advertized for their continuous output, not start-up output, so the initial draw of an appliance load may kick the generator off-line. Carefully assess what appliances you wish to have available off a generator before you buy. Mine is a Champion which puts out 2200 watts and it starts easily, is quiet and not too heavy to offload from my truck. My generator is basically a back-up for the solar system. 

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 11:12am
Originally posted by ilthyn

Remember, most generators are advertized for their continuous output, not start-up output, so the initial draw of an appliance load may kick the generator off-line. Carefully assess what appliances you wish to have available off a generator before you buy. Mine is a Champion which puts out 2200 watts and it starts easily, is quiet and not too heavy to offload from my truck. My generator is basically a back-up for the solar system.  
That's the opposite of what I've seen. IOW, a 2KW generator will handle a surge of 2KW, but will not sustain 2KW. For example, we have a Generac 12KW generator that will handle a 12KW surge, but will not sustain it. The continuous rating on it is 10KW. 

I think manufacturers like to promote the larger number, which is the surge rating.

So in your 2KW example, the continuous rating is probably more like 1800 watts or thereabouts. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 11:38am
A smallish 1000 watt inverter generator will quietly power the trailer, lights, laptop, phone charger, house battery charger, TV, water pump,  but it WONT power the microwave or A/C unit, nor the electric water heater element, if you have that. It wont power a 1500 watt coffee maker or space heater. or cooking appliances like a toaster oven or a large electric skillet.

A 2000 watt or higher, SHOULD be able to power the microwave, the cooking appliances, or possibly the A/C unit, but a 2500 watt or above WILL be able to power the microwave OR A/C unit but not both at the same time.

A 3500-4000 watt generator will almost certainly power BOTH the microwave AND the A/C unit at the same time, assuming it has a 30 amp outlet for the trailer shore power cord. A generator that large will be heavy, likely over 100 pounds, full of fuel. Mine is very hard to lift into the truck bed by myself. 

BTW, all of the above numbers are 'running watts'.

If all you want to do is charge batteries and run the basic camper electrical needs, (excluding the microwave, A/C, and cooking/heating appliances) then a 1000 watt generator will do that.

Basic items you will need for just about any small generator are: Gas can, funnel, oil, starting fluid, fuel stabilizer, and maybe a spare sparkplug and wrench if you camp in high altitudes. Generators usually operate in high altitudes fairly well (with some loss in power) but if you consistently camp in very high altitudes, its a good idea to change the carb jet. Of course some of the new small generators have fuel injection so no jetting change is required. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 11:39am
+1 to glue guy, here in the North east thats the way I see gennies advertised. A 2000 watt honda is rated (I think) @ 1600 continuous, 2000 start up. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 11:47am
My 2Kw Honda is like Glueguy says rated lower for coninuous duty, actually at 1600 watts, but it will run the a/c just fine which takes 15.3A. I expect that is because the a/c compressor is an inductive load so operates at a power factor less than 1, probably more like 0.85 or so, which is typical for motor loads. That means that the true power its taking is more like 115V*15.3A*.85= about 1500 watts. 

The microwave requires 12.3A which is no problem at all for the Honda 2K. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by offgrid

I expect that is because the a/c compressor is an inductive load so operates at a power factor less than 1, probably more like 0.85 or so, which is typical for motor loads. 

0.85 is optimistic, I've seen compressors show .5 or less....

Ouch
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>