R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPerplexed - black tank treatments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perplexed - black tank treatments
    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:44pm
Ok, I've done internet and forum searches. I need education.

I know that 'chemicals' are obsolete, straight enzymes are ok, but bacteria/enzymes are best for controlling black tank problems.

I've been using Camco TST 'singles', which in the 'Ingredients' says it has Calcium Nitrate and Secret Stuff. I assume this is a chemical product (?).

So, I want to switch to Happy Campers or maybe TankTech's Rx, but they are hard to get. I can get Walek Porta Pak locally and I believe this is equivalent to the first two (?), are any others easily available?

I assume I dump the present black tank load, flush to get rid of residual bacteria killing chemical and then add the recommended amount of bacterial product.

Finally, other than this forum, is there a good source of information on this subject? I've missed it.

Thanks for any information.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 3:59pm
Just add what you want, you won't make a bomb.

Or..

You could try no extra chemicals at all.. we have been rolling that way for some time, no issues.
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 5:09pm
Biodegradable chemicals are not obsolete.  We use Thetford Aqua Kem.  Two things are important.  You want to eliminate odors and you want to dissolve toilet tissue as best as possible.  We found that  toilet paper not dissolving is the biggest cause of clogs and failing idiot lights.  Biological agents are slow to work and need to stay around in the tank awhile.  And we found they do nothing to break up toilet paper.  We also empty black tank as soon as we get 3/4 full, which for us is not long enough for the biologics to work well.  So we use Scotts 2 ply RV tissue (as it is cheap and dissolves fast) with the Aqua Kem and have few problems.  We still get clogs and have to use a magic wand directly sprayed into the toilet to really clean out the tank.  Usually middle and  end of season.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

So, I want to switch to Happy Campers or maybe TankTech's Rx, but they are hard to get. I can get Walek Porta Pak locally and I believe this is equivalent to the first two (?), are any others easily available?
Amazon is your friend, especially if you are a Prime member.

You may also see ARC Products, Inc. Oxy-Kem at Walmart. It contains "enzymes, natural active ingredients and bacteria."
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 9:01am
I for one do not like the Tst treatments. I think those are meant for short trips, and you definitely  dump. I think they say 7 days right on it. If you plan to go longer than 4-5 days, I find the Thetford Aqua kem to be pretty good. I can go 5 or 6 weekends without dumping if need be using Aqua kem. Sometimes camping late September, thru October it's harder to find dump stations. I don't know much about these other products mentioned, but I know the Aqua kem works good.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply