R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTire rubbing fender . Looking for advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire rubbing fender . Looking for advice
    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 7:07pm

Hello ,
  We are now owners of a new to us 2018 R pod 178 . We brought it home 2 weeks ago . Looking at it closer at home I noticed a difference from the tire to the fender from one side to the other side . On the side opposite the slide out  there is about 2 inches clearance from tire to fender . On the side of the slide out there is only an inch in some places . I pulled the wheel off on the slide out side to make sure it wasn't hitting the fender and i could see where it has rubbed . Looking at the wheel and axle I see no sign of anything being bent or broke . The tires that are on it show no uneven wear or unusual wear in them . I measure from the cement floor that its sitting on to the trailer and it shows around 1 inch lower on the slide out side  which forest river tells me is ok . The fender is not centered to the wheel on either side , if it was I don't think it would rub . 

I feel the 3 inch riser kit would solve the problem but  Could something be wrong with the axle other than being bent .  Or could it be just that the fender was not centered over the tire and the PO just ran it that way .

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated .
     ( We did not buy the service warranty yet it is not cheap )                          
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 7:32pm
Check the "clocking" on the torsion axle. It's possible the elastic inserts might be damaged on the slide-out side.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
tent2pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 7:57pm
what is the best way to check the clocking
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 8:51pm
Check everything else out, but I believe the fenders are usually different heights.  The one on the road/slide side is lower to accommodate the slide. That said, it shouldn't rub the wheel (of course).  I don't think Pod warranties are transferable, and yours might have expired anyway, but it sounds like a manufacturing defect that FR ought to fix, assuming it's not some other problem with the axle.

I recently had an explosive blowout on my slide-side tire going down the road.  It blew the entire fender off completely and instantly.  So I got a new one and put it on.  Not a lot of trouble.  Two times not a lot still isn't very much -- meaning taking the fender off and moving to a better position wouldn't be too hard, if that's what it comes to.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 8:17am
In addition to the starting angle of the torsion arm (aka the clocking) the axle itself might be bent but not obviously look like it. One way to tell is to look at the axle tube. It should have a little crown to it (center higher). About 3/16 or 1/4 inch is normal. You can run a string line along the bottom from end to end and measure the gap in the center. If it is flat or curves downward in the center it is bent. This could cause the rubbing or negative camber at the wheels on one or both sides. Not an unusual problem on rpods.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
tent2pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 12:03pm

I ran a string across the bottom of the axle today and it has about a 3/16 arc in the center high . I jacked both sides up and removed the wheels . Using a 24 inch scale laid across the top of the torsion arm  and measuring from one end of the scale to frame then the other end of the scale to the frame . Doing this on both torsion arms to compare the readings  . I can see where the torsion arm  angle (clocking) on the slide out side is not the same as the angle on the opposite side . Should they be the same . And if so what would cause this . This camper is one year old and the tires show some wear but I don't think there are a whole lot of miles on it . 

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 12:34pm
You might have hit a rough bump or something, plus the slide-out side is a bit heavier. The clocking is fixed at the factory, so the only thing I can think of is a manufacturing defect, or the previously mentioned elastic tubes inside the axle tube.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 4:34pm
The 3/16 crown sound good. 

If you measured the torque arm angles with no load on them then they should be the same. If the slide site is rotated significantly further upwards then I agree with GlueGuy, it sounds like probably the rubber cords which carry the axle torsion load have been over-compressed. I doubt that the axle tube itself could be twisted without a lot more load on it. 

There is no way to fix that short of axle replacement as the cords are installed compressed and frozen using liquid nitrogen at the factory and allowed to thaw. While FR should take care of it they are saying that a 1 inch height difference is OK, which is pretty unreasonable I think.  So I doubt they will take care of it under warranty, but you can  try by arguing that as is the trailer isn't useable because its rubbing. If that is unsuccessful then unfortunately you'll likely have to buy a new axle if you want to get rid of the 1 inch height difference. Adding a lift kit is fine but doesn't fix your underlying problem. 

If you have to pay for it yourself you might consider getting the next heavier load rated axle which would be 5200 lbs vs. 3500, but if you did you'd need different brake assemblies and 6 lug wheels as well as the axle itself. More $$. Lippert makes these axles so if you want to go that route you could contract them directly, FR and the dealer will I'm sure tell you you have to buy the same axle that's on there now. The 3500 lb axle is a bit weak for the application,  if its any consolation you are not the first person to have had problems with them. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 5:19pm
I am very sorry to hear of your problem. 

The 3500# axles are apparently 'industry standard', whatever that means, for trailers of the r-pod's weight. Our 171's axle got bent, somewhere. I've chosen to go thru tires at a 2x rate rather than spend the $$ to get a new axle. I have no idea whether or not that is a feasible option for you. If not, replacing the axle with a 3500# axle is probably your best option in terms of the cost/benefit ratio but there is no guarantee the axle won't get bent over time like ours did. Still, the odds are on your side, there are a lot of smaller trailers out there with 3500# axles that DON"T get bent.

Whatever, don't let this turn you off trailering, once you get past this admittedly nasty incident, get out there and I'm sure you will enjoy your trailer. 
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 7:06pm
Are you saying your trailer is not level to the ground? of so, I would look for a frame repair shop in your town that works on trailers and have your trailer axle aligned, should be a round $200. and enjoy your trailer, that is what I did.
The real problem with the RPOD is the frame rails are to narrow for the axle and there is to much leverage. The frame rail to hub face is will over the 9 inch max recommended, mine is close to 14".
If your trailer wheels are not straight up or real close to it or are wearing tires odd, you should have it checked at a good frame shop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>