Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Cook'n With Gas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCowboy Omelette

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cowboy Omelette
    Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 6:15pm
Don't know where I got it but had this for supper tonight and I had to slip a piece out for breakfast in the morning for husband. He ate like I never feed him, so this is a winner. Will put it here anyway, even if it is an ole one. I did half this recipe for 2 people and had the leftover.

1 lb. ground sausage
1 chopped onion
1 bag frozen hash browns
6 eggs
1-16 oz. pkg. shredded cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Brown sausage and onion in Dutch oven. Stir in hash browns, then add scrambled eggs and stir until blended. Add seasonings and cover with cheese. Put lid on and cook 10 minutes.

I had a half roll of sausage, a half chopped onion and 3 small hashbrown patties, 3 eggs and maybe a cup of cheese. And a little 2 quart dutch oven. Dead This is a sometimes thing. just like the gravy thing.
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 6:30pm
-While on the gravy and sausage and biscuits thing. I was looking for a way to have biscuits and gravy on rare occasion while camping. Why, I don't know. We may have them twice a year here at home, Nevertheless, I found this one and tried it. Was not bad, if you don't mind you biscuits to have the consistancy of dumplings. AND was suggested a white Zinfandel with it! THESE people ain't SouthernLOL
Of course cut down on the amounts unless serving the campground. I did this in a 2 qt. dutch oven.

1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
2 cans of evaporated milk plus 2 can of water (I do not like the taste of this milk, so I used 1% for all the liquid
1/4 cup flour, give or take a tablespoon mixed with enough water to make a loose paste
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
black pepper and salt to taste
1 regular can of biscuits ( I used frozen biscuits, thaw a bit to have consistancy of the can ones)
Brown the sausage and crumble as you cook. Drain most of the grease. add the milk, salt and pepper, garlic powder. Then add the flour paste. Stir with whisk and cook on campstove or on campfire with grate till thicker. Cut each biscuit into quarters, add to the gravy. Turn down heat to med. low or set it on grate over hot coals and don't open the lid for 5-10 minutes.

I did a half recipe and threw out some since we do not eat this kind of thing mostly. Was pretty darn good on the stove a home.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 10:38pm
MMM both taste great!  When we moved 3 years ago my neibors looked at us as if we were nuts as the first thing we placed in our back yard was a truck tire rim for camp fires and cooking.  Shortly after we built a flat spot for dutch oven cooking and have been know to cook out in the snow.  Love Dutch ovens! 
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 10:42am
SleepyI just could see and hear the explosion if we did that with the open fire. We have had permission to park large motorcoaches in our driveway, lots of trees kind of shield it from view. But, neverthless had to have permission, did not ask this time when the Pod arrived. While smaller, it it BRIGHT WHITE and I hope all have gotten too old and can't see too well and the trees have grown denser. But have new owners of house next to us (only part timers).  If we get a cover , it might not be such a standout. Across the street from us the new rules do no apply, You could park anything you can stick into the driveEmbarrassed
Also, with the National Park 15 ft. from my front door, we have park rangers up in arms if open fire occurredClown
 Post Reply Post Reply