R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsolar battery maintainer/trickle charger? - Event Date: 29 Apr 2019 - 29 Apr 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
podwerkz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: solar battery maintainer/trickle charger?
    Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 1:57pm
If you have (or install) a battery disconnect switch, or are willing to disconnect the battery cables, you can get by with a very small solar 'maintainer'. A 10 watt panel would probably do it. 

If your batteries are powering the internal loads (propane detector, radio standby, usb ports, etc) during storage you will need a larger solar panel (20-50 watts) and a charge controller. 

During storage, especially in the summer heat, the fluid level in the batteries needs to be checked at least once a month. Most flooded batteries will need topping-up with distilled water now and then when they are on a maintainer.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
stevo220 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 11:50am
Hi,
I have 2 6 volt batteries in series to create a 12 volt battery.  When I am home from camping I want to keep my charged batteries at capacity.  Is anybody using solar battery maintainers or trickle chargers?  My pod is kept away from an electrical outlet, and I don't want to lug the batteries from the pod, so a solar charger would be best.  
Any recommendations?  Brand?  output size?  I am assuming a can just keep a solar charger connected 24-7 until I am ready to take it out again.

Thanks in advance...

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12