R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBatteries/charger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Batteries/charger
    Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:43am
Originally posted by lostagain

Doesn't a hydrometer measure the state of the charge of the battery?  It won't do it do it on a continuous basis, but for around $10, it sure beats not knowing.  We put our batteries into a tongue box that I bought from Harbor Freight, aka China Hardware, before all their prices went up, and the battery access is such that it takes less than a minute to check the level.  And, it's a good way to monitor the water level, too.

Which box did you get?  I have dual 12V deep cycle batteries and I’m going to get a box so I can install the battery cut-off and Victron shunt out of the elements.  How difficult was it to secure the batteries inside the box?  Are you happy with the quality?
2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:24am
This is the one I got.  https://www.harborfreight.com/2-13-cu-ft-steel-trailer-tongue-box-61602.html
Plenty of room for 2 Costco 6v golf cart batteries.  I also keep 4 wheel chocks in there along with a quart of battery water and the hydrometer.  I'm going to try to resist putting in more, but there is still a little room.  Here's what it looks like mounted on the tongue: 

I added a battery cutoff switch that I bolted to the forward wall of the box and I secured the batteries using eyebolt secured in the aft wall and heavy rubber shock cords.  I cut the old plastic battery boxes to make trays to hold each battery.  Absent a trailer rollover, the batteries ain't gonna move.  And if there is a rollover, who cares, that'll be the least of my problems.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:50am

Doesn't a hydrometer measure the state of the charge of the battery?  It won't do it do it on a continuous basis, but for around $10, it sure beats not knowing.  We put our batteries into a tongue box that I bought from Harbor Freight, aka China Hardware, before all their prices went up, and the battery access is such that it takes less than a minute to check the level.  And, it's a good way to monitor the water level, too.

Yes, it is a good measure of SOC if you know the specific gravity of your battery acid fully charged and discharged. But its inconvenient to use on a daily basis, so more generally used as a means of troubleshooting battery problems. 

The battery SOC monitors are getting pretty cheap now, the one I linked to is only about $32. I don't have personal experience with it but its getting decent reviews on Amazon. The Lexus version is the Victron 712 if you want to spend a couple of hundred bucks on one. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 10:15am

Visual inspection alone is not sufficient to determine the overall health of the battery.

Both open-circuit voltage and specific gravity readings can give a good indication of the battery’s charge level, age, and health. Routine voltage and gravity checks will not only show the state of charge but also help spot signs of improper care, such as undercharging and over-watering, and possibly even locate a bad or weak battery. The following steps outline how to properly perform routine voltage and specific gravity testing on batteries.

Below that are instructions on how to do specific gravity readings and how to do open circuit voltage checks. Plus it has instructions on how to water flooded cell batteries and how to clean them. All in all, a very useful web page.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 10:50am
The nice thing about the hydrometer is that you cannot avoid checking your water level when you check the pH.  The SOC is great in monitoring the charge, but it doesn't force you to look in the battery cells.  Keeping the water level at the proper level is said to be very helpful in extending battery life.  

For many of us who don't consume a lot of amp hours having a constant monitoring device for the battery isn't really needed.  For those who use a lot of electrical devices, it sure makes sense.  If you have a CPAP machine that you need to work all night it certainly is reasonable to spend the money for an SOC.  

For myself, I'll just monitor my battery volt meter on the wall and it it's getting down a little too much, I'll open the lid of the tongue box, pull out my handy hydrometer, flip the two cap levers, and make a quick test, all in, as I previously said, less than a minute.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 4:19pm

This is the one I got.  https://www.harborfreight.com/2-13-cu-ft-steel-trailer-tongue-box-61602.html
Plenty of room for 2 Costco 6v golf cart batteries.  I also keep 4 wheel chocks in there along with a quart of battery water and the hydrometer.  I'm going to try to resist putting in more, but there is still a little room.  Here's what it looks like mounted on the tongue: 

I added a battery cutoff switch that I bolded to the forward wall of the box and I secured the batteries using eyebolt secured in the aft wall and heavy rubber shock cords.  I cut the old plastic battery boxes to make trays to hold each battery.  Absent a trailer rollover, the batteries ain't gonna move.  And if there is a rollover, who cares, that'll be the least of my problems.

Thanks for the info!  I see you have a WDH.  Is that an Equalizer?  That is what I have and I wasn’t sure if I could fit the box but clearly you did.  We have have a 179 and I have about 11.5 inches from the back of the propane to the trailer.  Is that about what you have?
2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 4:59pm
We have 14" from the LP tank bracket to the trailer at that level.  [It's less up a little higher due to the sleek aerodynamic design of the Pod.]  The box is about 12" fore to aft, so with 11.5" you're righ on the ragged edge.  If your tank bracket bolt is not aft of the tank, then you may be able to squeeze in the China Hardware box.  But hurry if you're gong to buy one because when the next load ships from China, it'll be about $25 more (including the additional sales tax on the 25% tariff tax0). 

The box seems reasonable sturdy, though the lock could be easily pried open by a person with a blaggard's heart.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 5:43am
Originally posted by StephenH

Visual inspection alone is not sufficient to determine the overall health of the battery.

Both open-circuit voltage and specific gravity readings can give a good indication of the battery’s charge level, age, and health. Routine voltage and gravity checks will not only show the state of charge but also help spot signs of improper care, such as undercharging and over-watering, and possibly even locate a bad or weak battery. The following steps outline how to properly perform routine voltage and specific gravity testing on batteries.

Below that are instructions on how to do specific gravity readings and how to do open circuit voltage checks. Plus it has instructions on how to water flooded cell batteries and how to clean them. All in all, a very useful web page.

All true and a fine way to go for battery maintenance purposes. With three caveats:

You need to know the specific gravity (sg) of your particular battery at full charge and discharged. Different manufacturers use electrolytes with different mix ratios of sulfuric acid to water, depending on the intended application of the battery. So sg on a fully charged lead acid battery can be between 1.26 and 1.30. Also, some battery designs are "plate starved" and others are "electrolyte starved", meaning that some run out of plate capacity first on discharge and others run out of acid. So you need to know the relationship between sg and SOC for your particular battery. Some manufactures provide data for this, some you'll have to work out for yourself the first time and make your own table. Trojan is really good at providing this data. Also, if you want to be accurate then there is a temperature correction to do to your sg measurements. 

For voltage to work as a measure of SOC you have to measure it while the battery is at open circuit (Voc), meaning no charging or discharging can be occurring. And, you can't just stop taking current or or running current in, you have to wait awhile for the battery cells to reach equilibrium. Typically this takes around an hour or so. 

As with sg, you also have to know the Voc of the battery at different states of charge. This. like sg, varies based on the way the battery is designed. Generally the manufacturer will provide a table or graph for this, but sometimes you'll need to create this the first time like with sg. 

The above caveats are why these sg and Voc based readings are good for maintenance purposes. They take  quite a bit of time to do and you have to take your batteries off line to do it.

If OTOH you want an easy way to see the current SOC of your battery at a glance (the equivalent of  little lights except actually accurate) then get a SOC meter. Much more convenient and they're really cheap now.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 6:07am

The nice thing about the hydrometer is that you cannot avoid checking your water level when you check the pH.  

It doesn't measure pH, it measures specific gravity.  Pure sulfuric acid is heavy stuff, it's  sg is 1.84. Water is 1.0.  A mix of the two will be somewhere in between, and the sg of that mix (temp corrected) tells you what the concentration of sulfuric acid is. During discharge, sulfuric acid is consumed so the sg of the mix goes down. If you know the sg of your particular model battery at 100% SOC and say at 20% (a difference of 80%) and you measure the sg as halfway between the two then your SOC is 60% = 40%+20%. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 8:34am
Sorry, I meant specific gravity.  Confused  But my point was that it's simple to use and gives adequate information about the state of the battery for most people.  If youi have important equipment, such as a CPAP, that necessitates knowing the true state of the battery charge, following the complicated procedure for measuring the battery with the SOC makes perfect sense.  But for minimalists, such as myself, I could easily live without the battery for a few days if there was no option.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>