R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSanitising Water system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sanitising Water system
    Posted: 15 May 2019 at 2:19pm
This whole discussion reminds me of bottled beer vs cans discussions....LOL
w.o.y View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 3:18pm
When I started this topic I had no idea  it was going to turn into such a long discussion . But it has been an interesting read  Confused
Happy Camper
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 3:21pm
It's kinda like asking which motor oil is best....

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by riotkayak284

This whole discussion reminds me of bottled beer vs cans discussions....LOL
Oh man. That could cause trouble. I can not stand beer in a can. Of course, none of the beer I actually like comes in a can anyway, so the argument is moot.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Happy, thank you for making my point.  We are at an impasse. 

Agreed. 

Thinking about this, the desert southwest is probably the most difficult area for any of us to be definite about.

For newbies, just for perspective on changing drinking water in tanks - 

and 

Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

Originally posted by lostagain

Happy, thank you for making my point.  We are at an impasse. 

Agreed. 
Thinking about this, the desert southwest is probably the most difficult area for any of us to be definite about.
For newbies, just for perspective on changing drinking water in tanks - 
and 

That first link is a good write up, thanks for sharing.

I didn’t know about turning the fresh water supply on and off in between. Not sure what it does but I’ll do it. I’m going to try the baking soda rinse too. I generally only use water for cooking and brushing teeth but like it to be clean.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:44pm
Jeeze. 

I read thru that entire process of sanitizing the fresh tank. Holy Moly.

That's a LOT of  work compared to just carrying around a few gallons of actual drinking water. I mean, why is it SO important that your drinking water comes from your pump operated faucet as compared to a gravity dispenser on the counter or floor?

Using the so called 'fresh water' tank just for showers and toilet use means you are not having to sanitize water and the tanks to the utmost level of sterility just to flush it down the drain. I'm guessing here, but I bet 90% of that 30 gallons ends up in the toilet, the shower, washing dishes, maybe hosing off muddy shoes, or washing the dog. 

In my opinion (and I've been doing this for more than 25 years) ANY water that goes into ANY RV fresh water tank is, from then on, NON-POTABLE. Period.

It's for toilets, showers, and washing dishes.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:18am
+1 to Podwerkz.  We try to keep the FW tank as clean as we can so we can use it for other domestic uses besides drinking.  If it's basically clean, then those uses pose relatively low risks for washing dishes, cooking [when heated to boiling], and bathing.  Besides, if you're boondocking taking along separate drinking water can extend your stay and it serves as ballast you can move around to help balance your tongue weight. 

It occurs to me that one of the reasons we are blessed with relatively good senses of taste and smell is that it give us a survival advantage.  If something tastes bad or smells bad, it's a warning to us that it's probably not very good for you.  When water tastes bad it's a warning to your body to stay clear of it, ergo the use of the terms "bitter water" and "sweet water."  One may make you sick while the other is less likely to introduce you to new little friends.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:27am
Originally posted by podwerkz

That's a LOT of  work compared to just carrying around a few gallons of actual drinking water. I mean, why is it SO important that your drinking water comes from your pump operated faucet as compared to a gravity dispenser on the counter or floor?

Space and weight.
Carrying extra water in a container or bottles takes up both. I have a tank that can suffice for use if properly sanitized and potable water is used to fill it. For extra safety, some Camco Drinking Water Freshener (essentially bleach) can be used to ensure safety.
I spent 26 years in the Army. I have had to drink water from Water Buffaloes (wheeled tanks) and Lister Bags. Drinking water from them did not make me sick or kill me so I think I can safely drink water from the fresh water tank. Field Sanitation classes provided training in how to keep potable water safe so I feel confident in using my  RV's fresh water tank.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:52pm
Water weighs what water weighs, and you're not going to use any more water by carrying some of it in a separate container. If you only need 25 gallons total for your trip and you want 5 gallons of that in a container you can just put 20 gallons in your tank rather than 25. If I'm  boodocking for a week or so I take 35 gallons, 5 in a couple containers, and that gives me an extra day, As for storage, I've never come close to using up all the storage space in my 179. 

A lot of this comes from personal experiences. I spent 35 years doing lots of international travel, much to places where people would think you're crazy if you suggested drinking or brushing your teeth using the water from the tap. So, I just learned to assume its all contaminated and never drink from taps, either at home, in hotel rooms, or in my RV's. For me, its not at all a hardship or even an inconvenience, its second nature. 

None of us are ever going to convince the others that our way is better. This is a matter of choice based on experience, and what each individual feels is most convenient and sensible for their needs. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>