R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBike Rack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike Rack
    Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 10:11am
Anyone do something different to carry 1 bike?  I took the r-pod over to bike shop to try out several ideas.  I looked at taking the spare tire off and putting a rack back there but I do not like how strong the receiver looks.  Also the bike seems to sit low to the ground.  I looked at clamping the bike rack to the spare tire but that shakes too much.  Bolted one onto the tire assembly but too low and shakes too much.  Bike dealer tried to sell me a roof top carrier but I already carry 2 kayaks up on the roof with modified Thule kayak carriers as they do not make a rack for the Trailblazers.  Would like something like the I-camps had pictured on the front. (http://www.urvusa.com/index.html)

Any Ideas?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 5:35pm
What above getting a rack welded on the tongue, so the bike would hang above the battery?  Mounted parallel to the front of the 'pod and close to the 'pod you shouldn't have any issues when you turn.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 9:46pm
I thought about that already but did not see a rack that was easy to modify so it would be custom. But I may have the problem resolved as the Chevy Dealer told me there may be feet to attach to my trailblazer for a Thule Rack system.  It it works I can place 2 Kayaks and 1 bike on the roof of the Trailblazer.  
Gretchen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 2:00pm
We mounted our spare tire on the tounge so the back area is free to install a bike rack only.
Gretchen in Tennessee; Excited new R-Pod 151 owner and quilter

He has set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. Ecc 3:11b
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 3:59pm
We roof it with the Expedition. We can carry two tandems and a 15' canoe up there with no problem. I am not keen on my bikes being back there where I can't see them.. especially the Robusta. I think if we got somewhere and it was lost or damaged, I would freak out pretty bad..

http://co-motion.com/index.php/tandems/robusta  (ours is older, and was not as expensive, at least in 2005 dollars, but thought some might not know what a "tandem" is)

We have friends who NEARLY lost their Supremo.. just noticed the rack looked funny as they walked back to the truck/trailer at a rest stop.. the welds on the entire bumper were failing..

If I needed to carry just 1 single, I might weld a "holder" for a single thule or yakima tray (like a lockjaw or raptor) on the tongue, above the battery, or at least as far back as possible.. I honestly thought about that for the tandem, but then realized the bike is longer than the trailer is wide.. so it would stick out.. didn't like that thought at all. But just a couple risers set up to attach a tray to would work..
Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 8:49am
I originally bought a bike rack that would fit the 1 1/4 inch receiver in the rear of the Pod. (I had decided to carry the spare tire in the rear of my pickup).  However, after installing the rack, and loading two bikes, the rack swayed to much. I moved the rack to the tongue and used two square 'u' clamps to hold the rack on the tongue. I didn't want to weld the rack to the tongue.  There was just enough room between the battery and the tongue jack.  I also don't have to worry about accidentally backing the bikes into a post or tree.
 Post Reply Post Reply