R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHooking up to house Electrical System

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hooking up to house Electrical System
    Posted: 21 May 2019 at 12:14pm
Hello all ! This is my first post. I am a totally new to travel trailers. Just purchased a 2016 Rpod 182g

I have many questions. But the main one is this. What do I need to hook up my R-pod 182g to my outside 3 prong electrical outlet?

All I know is that I don't want to fry anything and my house is 15/20 Amp and the Rpod may need 30/50 amp? I guess I need an adapter? and will not be able to run big items.

Could this be harmful to rpod elec system?   

If I do get an adapter is that safe to use to charge the battery and move the slide in and out and maybe run the pump?

Is there any manual or electrical dos and do nots articles out there?

Thanks all,

I should have made my user name "totally lost" lol
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 12:30pm
Welcome to the forum.  You'll fine many helpful discussions if use the search engine. Use advanced do you can go back further in time.

As for plugging in your Pod, it's more convenient to have a 30A plug available, but plugging it into a 20A works just fine.  Just don't run a lot of stuff at the same time.  AC will probably run by itself but if you run other stuff with it when it's starting and stopping, you may trip your breaker.  You can buy converters to go from 30 amp to a standard household plug.  In fact, that's how mine is connected right now.  I have a 30A plug available, but its connected something else.

We have some very knowledgable engineers on the board who are very generous with their guidance.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 12:51pm
Hello and welcome! I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories in the process!

As for connecting to the house, 30A is ideal. You can get an outlet installed (or do it yourself if you are capable). If you have it done, make sure to emphasize that it is a 110V 30A RV outlet you want. Some electricians may just hear 30A and assume 220V, which will fry your R-Pod. You can connect to 20A and run the AC OR the refrigerator, but not both at the same time. With 15A, you can run everything with the exception of the AC, especially if anything else is on the same circuit. In my house, the ouside outlet will not run the AC without tripping the breaker. It might be okay if I were to turn the breaker for the converter off, but the main reason to be plugged in is to make sure the batteries remain fully charged.

To sum up:
30A -- Run everything.
20A -- Run everything, but not simultaneously.
15A -- Run everything except AC but not simultaneously; maybe run AC if nothing else is running (including converter).

All in all, since it is unlikely you will be running the water heater while it is parked outside, you can just leave that off and not worry about it. If you are home, you won't be worried about microwave/convection oven use (unless you are experimenting with it baking test batches of cinnamon rolls Smile). Lights are a negligible draw since they are LED. The main usefulness of having it plugged in, even if you only have a 15A outlet available is for keeping the battery/batteries charged, providing lighting, keeping the constant parasitic draws from draining your battery/batteries, and for pre-chilling your refrigerator so you don't waste propane doing so. Also, if it is cold, you could run a small ceramic block heater instead of running the furnace.

If you do choose to plug in, make sure you use a good, heavy-duty (10 or 12 gauge) extension cord. No 14 or 16 gauge please. Those are too small a conductor to take the load you can expect to put on the cord, especially if you are running the AC.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 12:59pm
Is the house circuit you’re connecting to 15 or 20 amp? You can look at the circuit breaker to tell, it will be labeled. If it’s 20A you should be fine unless you try to run the microwave and a/c at the same time. If it’s 15A then the a/c might trip the breaker, but no harm will result.

You can select which items you want to run by disconnecting the circuit breakers in the rpod electric panel. They’re labeled with what each on does. Be sure that the one for the water heater is switched off and if you’re on a 15A house circuit then turn off the charger if you’re running the a/c.

You’ll need an adapter to connect your trailer power cord to your house outlet. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Adapter-Female-Round-Motorhome/dp/B01B8LLK9O
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 1:08pm
We have our R-pod plugged into a 15A outlet "most" of the time (through an adapter). We have run the microwave (alone), and we have run the AC (alone, but not for very long). So if the plan is to just keep the batteries topped up, and not the AC or microwave, you can get by with not a lot of power. 

If I were expecting to run the microwave OR the AC, then I would use a 20A plug if you have that available.

If I were expecting to run the AC AND the microwave together, then you will need a standard 30A RV receptacle.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
scuDDer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 1:59pm
Ok I will be sure to check the search function on here now for sure. Thanks!

Looks like I need an adapter. I should have posted I only want to charge batteries and chill fridge (great tips thanks!) and no plans on running microwave or AC.

I never liked electrical stuff! Thanks so much all.

Next question I might post is how often do you charge your batteries?

-J
2016 R-pod 182g
Dodge Ram 1500
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:13pm
Electrical stuff is an acquired taste. its not that hard or scary really. 

If you have access to your house circuit you can just leave the charger on all the time, its not a problem. If you are charging intermittently, then you should disconnect the battery when not being charged as there are some small parasitic loads in the trailer that you can't easily get rid of.  Then, reconnect the battery and turn on the charger overnight every few weeks or so. However you charge them, you should check the battery water level every few weeks as well. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by offgrid

If you have access to your house circuit you can just leave the charger on all the time, its not a problem. If you are charging intermittently, then you should disconnect the battery when not being charged as there are some small parasitic loads in the trailer that you can't easily get rid of.  Then, reconnect the battery and turn on the charger overnight every few weeks or so. However you charge them, you should check the battery water level every few weeks as well. 

+1. We leave our 179 connected to a 15A circuit at storage to trickle charge the batteries (two 6V in series). The suggestion to check the water levels is a good one: at one point, our batteries had run almost dry. Fortunately, they don't seem to be significantly degraded based on a 100A load test I did on them after refilling the cells and letting them charge up. Make sure you use only distilled water.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by offgrid

+1. Electricity is just like plumbing, except the water is invisible, and leaks cause a different kind of problem. Star
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:54am
You will do yourself a big favor by getting a digital voltmeter.  
they are under $10.  You don't want to let the batteries rundown to more than 50%, or  12.2 v.  A good book to read is "12 volt Bible for Boats ." Owning an RV is like owning a boat - you have to like to "fiddle" with things or you won't have a good experience.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>