Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLoading and Thumb Twiddling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loading and Thumb Twiddling
    Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 11:56am
Still trying to get mileage on the tow. I NEED to practice even towing and then the Unknown, backing.
In the meantime, I am loading.
Put up a mural on the wall over the dining table, got wallpaper border in the kitchen area, made a "bookshelf" for small cookbooks, been weighing and measuring, tried to unscrew the board under the mattress. Now that was a hot job and did not think I would be able to get back out from under the mattress.Censored Gave it up and will load from front, as suggested.
Will be making another trip (in the EDGE) down to Roswell this Saturday, THAT will put the mileage over the 1000 mark.  And mileage is in the tank , just towing it home. I am use to small cars, like Mini Cooper, Audi A-3, things that get MILEAGE. Boy , is the other half fussing. ANd we have not towed it in the mountainsLOL

The warrenties are being done, but that is like pulling teeth because the dealer does not seem to have answers. I think these "small" thingies do not get the attention. However, I note they are selling more of them than the big jobbers. They need to get acts together and count them as part of their job. Did not have this trouble when we were prepped for coaches with slides.  However the gentleman that prepped us was really good at what he does, but he is not in the office where it is cold, he is a worker. He has to have some back up.
Hmmmmm, let me see, what else can I put in the Escape Pod

'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 3:39pm
The board to the right under the mattress has screws.  That is the access panel for the water heater and pump, access is only necessary to winterize in the fall and "unwinterize" in the spring.  It has lots of unused space so if you are going on a long trip theoretically you could store some stuff in there (disclaimer: you aren't supposed to use it for storage).

The panel to the left should not be screwed down and should lift up from the front.  Same storage area that you can get to from the front, but its an easier way to get to the rear corner.  The panel at the very back I think is nailed down and is the top of the "basement" storage compartment.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 4:35pm
Has anyone ever figured a good way to take the mattress off the bed?  In this case "good" means easy!LOL

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 4:55pm
The panel on the left (facing to the back of unit) is screwed down with 4 screws (phillips) but you are right, it is accessable by the little cabinet door under the bed(171) . I got 2 laundry baskets and a covered Rubbermaid box in there and will be room for the dogs bin of needs. Maybe her dog food too. We were told that the detector? under the dining table would start beeping if dog food was kept near there. Since there is no room she is going to have to eat at the table. :) :) I saw the other panel to the right, next to the frig. but did not get into that one. Well, did not get into the first one either. Some battles I am going to give up early.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 5:05pm

Only thing I can see is cutting the mattress up and taking it outYing YangDo you think they put the mattress in before they finished putting the sides on the Pod? I have the 171. Even if you got someone to stand on the bed and managed to angle it to the "hallway", how do you bend it to get out the door. Yelpy, chain saw to the suckerStarI have not had time or taken time to test it. Waiting for a memory foam pad and that will have to do. If I can sleep on the ground without an air mattress, I will be able to sleep on this. But will need a disembarkcation schedual to get 2 people through that narrow hole out of the bed. No drinking after a certain hour either. Dead

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 8:58am
Interesting that your left panel is screwed down!  Mine isn't and has a finger hole so you can lift the front edge.  I think it even has a hinge at the back.

I bet you are right and they add the mattress during construction.  Some day we need to set up a gathering at the factory and see them being made.

My only complaint is the difficulty in getting in/out of bed.  I now have collapsible steps that I put at the edge of the bed at night.  My wife takes the outer spot and if I need to get out in the middle of the night I have to stand up and step over her on to the top step.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 9:46am
We also have a Early 2009 -R-Pod 171. I was told that the mattress is installed after they are made.  They bend them in half and slide them in.  My mattress only lasted one weekend till it was pulled out and replaced with a futon.  The metal frame was bending right at the opening that you crawl through to get into bed.  Much easier now to make the bed, flip it over or pull it off to get to the area under.  On my Camper on the Drivers side right next to the Fridge is the compartment that has the Hot Water Heater and that has been framed out and a cover placed on with 4 screws, then the area you can get to through the door also has a board on top with a finger hole and 2 hinges to lift it up.  And then at the very back of the bed in the cover of the outside storage that is screwed down.  We found laundry basket that slide nicely under the bed and store our clean clothes in one and dirty in the other.  Also have Tub under there.  Take a look at pictures here

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=956&KW=171+bed&PID=10570&title=171-mod-bed-storage#10570  
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 9:49am
I really like the layout the original MPG camper had when it first was coming out.  They had basically taken a R-Pod 171 and flipped it around.  Put the Queen Bed up in the front and the table in the back.  Made the camper really opened up with out slides.  The bed was opened up so you did not have the little crawl space to get through.  But they had to change the design.  Hmm makes me wonder if I could mod the 171 to flip those two items around. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 1:16pm
Dang, now that you've said that you have me thinking.  Biggest problem is the area is only "twin" sized (in quotes because it ain't a twin, and the back bed ain't a queen) so it would take some major modification to put the queen there.
Okiepoders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 5:15pm
Terri
If you figure out an easy way to take the mattress up to make an access the hot water bypass let me know.
We de winterized ours last weekend and the storage access was a pretty tight squeeze for hubby...
we thought about the mattress but changed our minds pretty quickly after trying to lift it
Pam & Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>