R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle falling off R-Pod, 2nd try

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle falling off R-Pod, 2nd try
    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 4:12pm
Having lived in both, I consider the OBX to be worse than the northeast. It’s much warmer when it’s salty, and heat greatly accelerates chemical reactions, including corrosion. Rule of thumb is double the reaction rate for every 10 degrees C. A summer hurricane vs a winter snow event are about 20-30 deg C different in temperature, so that’s about 4-8x faster corrosion.

Just one storm surge event will destroy a vehicle. We call them tide trucks out here 😜. We keep em for driving on the beach, which we won’t do with our good vehicles. We chuckle at all the tourists who drive their brand new $60k 4wd pickups on the beach. Some of these idiots even drive through the surf on purpose.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:34am
I watched a youtube video awhile back and these clueless new RVers with a brand new dually pickup drove on a beach and practically buried it. Brand new!

I think the owner in the video said something to the effect of, 'hey, it's 4WD, so we'll be fine'.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 12:38pm
Towing operators make good coin on the OBX in summer and its almost always some clown with a brand new 4wd truck. 4wd just gets these guys further from help before they get themselves well and truly stuck.  You have to pay for a beach driving permit now to access the national seashore so they get to pay 3x, once for the permit, once for the towing, and once for the corrosion and vehicle damage. All so they can say they actually used their 4wd one time. Me, I just park and walk over and I get to pick an area where they exclude driving so I'm not having these clowns drive 2 feet from me disturbing my beach nap time. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:08am
Having learned more with time, I wish to come to 'closure' on my axle falling off.

1. The trailer was unquestionably too heavy for the axle, perhaps by as much as 200 pounds. My bad. The steps that led me to this error are not directly relevant, sufficient that it happened and you can avoid my error by weighing your trailer at a scale, and this is absolutely MANDATORY for everyone

2. Whether or not FR's engineering margins for error of their axles are too small is a very different issue but not appropriate to go into here.

I hope this very bad experience benefits all of us.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:14am
Originally posted by offgrid

Towing operators make good coin on the OBX in summer and its almost always some clown with a brand new 4wd truck. 4wd just gets these guys further from help before they get themselves well and truly stuck.  You have to pay for a beach driving permit now to access the national seashore so they get to pay 3x, once for the permit, once for the towing, and once for the corrosion and vehicle damage. All so they can say they actually used their 4wd one time. Me, I just park and walk over and I get to pick an area where they exclude driving so I'm not having these clowns drive 2 feet from me disturbing my beach nap time. 

couple of good websites or FB groups that follow and feature some very entertaining videos of beach recoveries..
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

Having learned more with time, I wish to come to 'closure' on my axle falling off.

1. The trailer was unquestionably too heavy for the axle, perhaps by as much as 200 pounds. My bad. The steps that led me to this error are not directly relevant, sufficient that it happened and you can avoid my error by weighing your trailer at a scale, and this is absolutely MANDATORY for everyone

2. Whether or not FR's engineering margins for error of their axles are too small is a very different issue but not appropriate to go into here.

I hope this very bad experience benefits all of us.

Thank you for passing this along! I see it as a wake-up call for the rest of us.

HT... You have your work cutout for ya cleaning this up! Do you intend to? Lippert added a 1 x 2 x 3/16 tube under my frame (almost full length) and may be something you could do as well.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
wthoms2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 11:59pm
Website says:"ACF-50 kills the corrosion process with just one application and will last for 24 months."

Seems like a short life span...
Porta Poddy
Wil and Luz, Orange County, CA
2017.5 179 HRE
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
REDARC Brake Controller
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:12am
ACF-50 is popular in the aviation industry, for spraying inside fuselage and wing structures. I had it done on my airplane a couple of times. 

Pretty expensive for rPod use, and I doubt it would last long at all on the bottle of a trailer. I'd suggest Fluid Film, saved me lots of problems when I lived on the Outer Banks and is also popular in Northeast winters. It's thick stuff made of lanolin so nonhazardous and won't ruin your clothes. You can get a sprayer for it, crawl under there and go to town. 

That being said, unless you're right on the beach in OC corrosion shouldn't be much of a problem for you in SoCal.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12