R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brakes
    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 11:23am
So the factory controller uses data from the vehicle computer system to set its braking action, while the aftermarket controllers don’t have access so use an acellerometer instead.

If that’s the case with Jato’s controller too then I’m puzzled why he gets braking action manually but not with his pedal, especially since he’s seeing the same voltage on the connector brake pin either way. I’m looking forward to hearing what the solution is with this one.

Jato, do you have a clamp on dc current meter? You could see if the current to the brake magnets changes depending on whether you’re using manual or pedal activation. Don’t make the mistake I did and try to measure the current right at the magnets though, the magnetic fields screw up the clamp on readings.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 5:20pm
Me too. I can say how mine works but can't say why his doesn't.:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 7:03pm
Thanks Mike and offgrid.  However  I now have an even bigger issue that takes precedence over the brakes and that i can't even do what you asked since I am stuck in hospital in Traverse City since Friday with double pneumonia with a lot of 'gorilla glue' to cough up before I can get out.  Don't know too much yet but they are giving me mega steroids, (zero sleep, like wired to the hilt, far out man!) a lot of meds and breathing exercises, nebulizer treatments, ect. ect.  Zombie like right now, but cannot access the pod now sitting at home 35 miles away.  For sure I will have to get it in somehow, get a neighbor to bring in or maybe my sweetheart of almost 43 years, but don't want to stress her as I have her stressed enough with what I have now.  Things will work out, I am sure of that.  Once I do get out, and find out about the Truck I will get you the full scoop and let you know what they find.  Sure is a mystery though.  I like mysteries, but not when I am in the midst of it!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 8:59am
Update, between hospital and truck appointment.  The local guy was unable to diagnose why the TBC isn't functioning as it should (maybe it is toast) as he doesn't have the 10K computer software to read off of the mainframe.  So my only alternative is to see the Ford dealer, have only been to a dealer a few times in life, rather give my money to a local mechanic as dealerships are prone be quite a bit more $$$ to fix similar issues.  At least I am out of hospital, recuperating, and have an appt. on July 5th for the truck, will give you all the scoop on that day, hopefully they will be able to diagnose and repair.
God's pod
'11 model 177
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 4:55pm
jato,

Take care of yourself. Your health is more important than a brake problem that WILL get resolved. Like you I hate to give up and see a "dealer" but stuff happens and everything has to do with some computer program. I have a guy who works on my vintage cars, but he can't do my new stuff, because the software is too expensive or proprietary. Anyway, get healthy and looking forward to results.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 5:15pm
Sorry to hear about the pneumonia, it’s very dangerous if not caught in time. Nebulizers are great, I got one for my wife who is prone to pneumonia. She starts on it as soon as she has any cold symptoms and it keeps her out of the hospital. RPods can wait, you health is far more important. All the best.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 8:52pm
+1 on the get well wishes. My wife has asthma so any cold almost always turns into bronchitis. She has also had a bout of two of pneumonia. Something that is helpful is Thyme tea. Take a hand full of fresh thyme and put it in a pot with water. Bring that to a boil, then turn it off and let steep for 15 minutes. Strain and drink, with some honey if desired. It has a citrus-like flavor and is helpful. We were told about this by one of the local farmer's market vendors. It won't help while you are in the hospital, but it might be helpful in the future if symptoms of breathing difficulties start to return.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 10:46am
Thank you everyone for the get well wishes and prayers!  8 weeks with pneumonia was no picnic, what a way to begin retirement.  But I must say, this is quite minor with what I know other people have to deal with. 

Last Friday the truck went in to the Ford dealer.  They found a bad wiring harness (Corroded) and also the back side of the bargman was questionable as well.  Since they didn't have the parts in stock I get to go in this afternoon for them to do this procedure.  They felt they are pretty sure this will take care of the problem, but once it is installed they will let me know whether or not there are any issues with the TBC.  If that is all good then I will bring it home and hopefully have brakes on the 177.  If not at least it will be narrowed down to the wiring on the 177.  Will keep you posted.
God's pod
'11 model 177
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 12:42pm
If possible take your trailer with you to the dealer. Drop it in the lot. When the repairs are completed, go hook up and make sure the trailer brakes are now working. 

Good luck!
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 8:41pm
Update, Ford dealership installed new wiring bundle that goes to Bargman and also new Bargman plug and added a lot of di-electric grease.  Told me it is good to go.  Since we were traveling to Manistique (U.P.) Michigan the next day I made an appointment from the dealer I purchased our 177 from (Hilltop in Escanaba, MI)  to check to make sure all was well with our trailer.  They adjusted the brakes, checked voltage from plug to magnets, ect.  Said everything was good to go.  On my way out I got up to 10 mph on a bit of dirt/gravel before hitting the pavement and the trailer stopped quite nicely, this was using my brake controller manually.  So we get to our campsite near Manistique and before setting up camp pulled off the main road onto a side road and decided to jack up the axle with the tire free spinning in the air.  Spun tire, had my wife use the TBC manually and the tire instantly stopped.  GREAT !  Next and final test: spin tire again and use the truck brake pedal  - - - -nothing.  So somehow I still have an issue from the brake pedal to the TBC.  Come Monday morning I will call our Ford dealer and get another appointment, at least progress is being made but s l o w l y.
God's pod
'11 model 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>