R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMounting battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mounting battery
    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 6:27pm
Could someone post a pic of how the battery attaches to the frame ? I'm thinking straps around the box ??? Thanks
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 7:13pm
Lot of different configs, I have an unmodified tray with a single battery. My battery is in a box with a standard tie down kit, whereas a lot of members have multiple batteries with custom battery boxes, you have to figure what you want to do with batteries. It is a personnel decision based upon your camping style.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 8:37pm
min has a single strap that goes across the cover and around the two rails that the battery box sits in.. tightened down and then about a foot of extra strap to simply flap in the breeze! :-)
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 9:13pm
Our batteries are mounted the same-a simple 2” web strap that goes around the battery box and under the 2 rails and is looped through a plastic buckle. This is on our 2015 model 179. The exact same system was used on our 2009 model 173.
It has worked for us since 2011 without a problem,so far!
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:12pm
I built two versions of a battery lock-down system. Both are described in my mods. The second version is much better because it is much easier to use. I have no need of the fabric straps because the lids are held on with my locking bar.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:29pm
If you're not worried about theft a strap around the battery box will work fine. There is nothing short of flipping the trailer on its side or back that is going to make the battery jump up out of there. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
duldcimerbob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:54am
Thanks for the replies. I don't have a battery at this time, any recommendations as to brand , price etc ?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:19am
Are you going to be boondocking muc? In that case I would recommend two 6V golf cart batteries in series. This will weigh about 130 lbs so will increase your tongue weight significantly. But most folks who camp without hookups for more than a couple of days find they want the additional storage capacity. The case size is GC2 for that setup.

Otherwise, I would just get a good quality deep cycle 12V battery. Do not get an automotive start battery, they are not designed for cycling use. Either way I personally prefer flooded batteries because they are more tolerant of overcharging than "sealed" batteries (like the AGM for example) are. But you do have to check the water level in them on about a monthly basis and add distilled water as needs. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 11:25am
My battery boxes are attached to the inset battery rails with self-drilling screws, and I got rid of  those frustrating supplied straps that have two-piece plastic 'buckles'.

I bought metal 'cam-lock' buckle straps. They are typically called 'cargo straps' in the trailering aisle of any big box store. These do not have hooks at each end...instead, the loose end wraps under the battery and back up into the metal cam-lock buckle. They are typically 6-8 feet long, but I cut mine to the desired length and then melted the end with a lighter to keep them from fraying.

Much easier to use.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 12:34pm
Our RP-179 came equipped with a pair of 12V batteries, each in their own plastic box. Each one was strapped with a 2" web type of strap with a funky 2-piece buckle contraption. They seem to hold OK, but when they start showing their age we will replace them with ratchet straps like Podwerks described.

If we replace the battery boxes (which is a possibility), we may go with something else.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>