FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Age
    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 7:48am
Greetings:
As I get older, the question that I ask myself is how much longer, even if my health stays ok do I want to tow.  I'm 79 now so one has to think about this.  I plan on doing at least the 2020 season.  I'll have it paid for in a couple of years, so maybe I'll just keep the pod even if I only use it for a couple of weeks a year.  The day does come when you are no longer able to drive, let alone tow something.  One has to take individual responsibility.  I don't know how many other folks are facing this on the forum.  It's something that everyone has to face in time. 

Crankster78   (now 79)  R-179
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
cosmo751 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 8:59am
I'm right there with you, though a bit younger at 72. My Podding goal is in 2024 - The next full solar eclipse.

My plan includes taking extra care with my health, and adding such effort-savers as I can manage. Most recent was a powered tongue jack. Oh, I highly recommend it!

Regards,
Ken

K6EK
"He not busy being born is busy dying."
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 9:06am
Yep, you're not alone. 

Thankfully if we are fortunate in selecting our parents and have avoided 'wear and tear' issues, I think chronologic age becomes nearly (but not totally) irrelevant. 

Neck issues preventing neck rotation to scan for objects to the side, and vision issues, seem to be the biggies. I am wondering if installing side cameras might be of tremendous value in extending our useful RVing lives (?).
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 10:52am
My parents are 81 and 76.. they are looking at new rigs this weekend..
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 11:07am
I'm a relatively young 65. My parents are 89 and 85 and reached a point where RV use was not possible a number of years ago. We got the RPod because I thought if I didn't, I would never have the opportunity to do so as I got older. I've had several health issues including two strokes (first one was misdiagnosed and I only had confirmation when I had the second one). Now I am on anticoagulants to help avoid a third one. In the meantime, we have had many great trips with our RPod and are considering an Alaska trip with it next year.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 4:56pm
I remember the hardest thing I did was take my Mothers car keys away. She never forgave. She was NOT capable of driving and was a hazard. I'm sure my day will come. As far as age, I see a lot of young folks who have no capability or ability to be running a motor vehicle on the road. If age was the greatest factor only senior citizens would be involved in fatal accidents. My Dad knew when the RV driving was dangerous and he quit and sold it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 5:13pm
   I think the question has been answered it is up to the individual. Like The lady recently in the news at 103 she is still competing in races running. At 64 I have thought about it how long I will be able to tow a trailer safely. I think I will be able to tell and hopefully I will have the wisdom to know when safety becomes a issue and quit. If I make it safely to age 80 towing a trailer I will be happy. Smile
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 6:53pm
It depends on the individual. We had truck drivers still driving trucks up to age 79...80 was our company cut-off age. 

I knew a lot of drivers in their mid-70's with a lot of vim and vigor...and they passed the medical certification year after year.

Being fully alert, aware, and competent, while pulling a small travel trailer is a lot easier, and your driving days can be a lot shorter. Plus you can pull over and rest any time you like. No schedule to keep, other than one that you impose on yourself.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
crazycoyote View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 11:45pm
Well I was 82 in Feb. and still travel in my Pod all summer in the northwest states to get out of the Arizona heat over the summer. Started RV'ing in 1965 and still going strong, no better life. Spend my winters in Arizona in an RV Resort in a Park Model. Can't live any cheaper than this . They can bury me in my Pod.
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 7:56am
Greetings:
All very thoughtful additions to the discussion.  I think that I will know when the time comes to give up the keys.  I find myself becoming a more cautious driver.  My Mother was driving at my age, but was having accidents.  Her insurance company canceled, and she had to quit which was a good thing.  I've driven and rode over a million miles in my life time and haven't had a single ticket in over 40 years.  I am my own strongest critic, and find myself checking for traffic several times at intersections.  
Happy Poding and enjoy the Forth of July.  Remember what we are celebrating!

Crankster78 R-179
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>