R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRPod 177 Furnace Deflector

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPod 177 Furnace Deflector
    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 4:34pm
I was inspired by the other furnace heat deflector projects on this forum and made my own.  Given that I have a 177, the other furnace mods didn't fit.

Parts:

9 x 13 cake pan, Target, $1.99
misc. tin for cold air intake
heat resistant black paint
screws and pop rivets
Trim Lock metal edge trim (on order)

Tools:

tape measure
aviation tin snips
pop rivet tool
rubber mallet
vice
drill and bits

I think the photos say it all.

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
bhesse View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 5:58pm
have you tried it out yet, is there enough flow for both?
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 7:05pm
Yes and yes.
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 1:27pm
Love your take on this! one much simpler than the one I built.
I'm picking up my new 180 in Iowa on my way back East August 1st and I plan to make one for it while I was out east, I may just take your idea!
Thanks, John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 8:04am
Originally posted by voisj

Love your take on this! one much simpler than the one I built.
I'm picking up my new 180 in Iowa on my way back East August 1st and I plan to make one for it while I was out east, I may just take your idea!
Thanks, John

John, I liked your design a lot and thought I'd copy it but the 177 furnace is mounted 180 degrees to yours.  So, I had to come up with something else instead.

I received the edge trim yesterday and installed it on the cut edge of the cake pan and on part of the cool air intake. This addition makes it look more finished and hides my imperfections too!  I also used black silicone caulk on the cool air intake box seams.  The "wave" in the front lip goes away when the grill is tightened down with the mounting screws.

Exchanging ideas and solutions is one of the reasons this forum is so good!

Bob

2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 11:14pm
Great idea!  I really like how simple it is.  I have a 179, and my diverter would need to vent out into my pod from the opposite side as the air intake.  So I was thinking...there are three sets of vertical vents.  The third vertical (or farthest right) stack is where the intake is based on these photos.  Couldn’t I use the cake pan to only divert the first two stacks of vertical vents (farthest left and middle) and leave the right stack with the intake uncovered completely?  Would that work?  

Stephen, you’ve had to think about this when you saw it.  It should allow plenty of intake under the bed while the pan diverter blows the majority of the heat into the cabin from the first two stacks.  Can it be that simple?  

Ok, poke holes in it. 
As always, thanks for the ideas and recommendations.
Jeff
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 11:40pm
WRP,
I like this idea.
In my 180 blowing all the air
Straight down the pod had a drawback. The thermostat is in a direct line of airflow from the air deflector on the bathroom wall. When it was really cold(40 degrees or less) the warm air would shut the thermostat off sometimes and not keep the bed end as warm as the bathroom area, and the furnace would cycle off and on more during the night.
Rgds ,John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Wood River Pod

Great idea!  I really like how simple it is.  I have a 179, and my diverter would need to vent out into my pod from the opposite side as the air intake.  So I was thinking...there are three sets of vertical vents.  The third vertical (or farthest right) stack is where the intake is based on these photos.  Couldn’t I use the cake pan to only divert the first two stacks of vertical vents (farthest left and middle) and leave the right stack with the intake uncovered completely?  Would that work?  

Stephen, you’ve had to think about this when you saw it.  It should allow plenty of intake under the bed while the pan diverter blows the majority of the heat into the cabin from the first two stacks.  Can it be that simple?  

Ok, poke holes in it. 
As always, thanks for the ideas and recommendations.
Jeff

Jeff,

I think it's important to divert hot air output from the air intake of the furnace.  The top half of the right-most vents is hot air while the lower portion (where my tin box is mounted) is the air intake.
My furnace is mounted on the opposite side as yours under the bed and that's why I felt the need to make the air intake box.

I think your idea would work just fine.

Bob
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 10:17am
As an observer on this thread I have to wonder if the air flow thru the furnace heat exchanger is reduced with these deflectors.

Has anyone tried to simply put a small fan in that opening that will blow the heated air into the living space?
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 10:41am
Interesting question.

I'm sure it would reduce the airflow, the question is how much and what impact that has on heating capacity. Also, if the deflector worked to keep hot air from short cycling straight back into the furnace it could actually improve heat transfer to the room even if the airflow was less. 

Its hard to accurately measure airflow but if you cold quickly remove the deflecdtor you could measure the air temp coming off the furnace with and without it. If the temp went down without it you'd know that it was reducing airflow. 

That being said, unless the airflow reduction was substantial it probably doesn't make much difference in heating capacity. That wouldn't be true for a heat pump or a/c unit because to be efficient those work on a relatively low temp delta between the air and the heat exchanger, but a gas fired furnace heat exchanger runs hot anyway so it wouldn't be so critical. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>