R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConverter Not Charging Battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converter Not Charging Battery
    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 11:13am
I have a 2017 179 and my converter is not charging my battery while hooked to shore power. Everything else works just fine. I have solar and that will charge the battery. I did replace the battery last week.

Any ideas on what my problem is. I never hear the converter plan running. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave
Dave & Kate
2017 FR Rpod 179
2014 Ford Explorer w/Factory Tow Package
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 11:28am
There is a certain failure rate among the converters used thought to be caused by vibration. Pod converters are WFCO, I like Progressive Dynamics.
2016 R-Pod 176T
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 1:16pm
Are you sure that the WFCO charger isn't operating? If the battery is being kept fully charged by your solar system then the WFCO battery charger won't have anything to do.  

Confirm that the main fuses in the 12V distribution panel are good, and that the charger ac circuit breaker is closed. Then try disconnecting the battery and solar system entirely and see if your 12V loads will run directly on the WFCO. That won't hurt anything. If they do then your charger is working, if not then it has failed. In that case, I agree with Motor7 re Progressive Dynamics as a replacement. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mdballou View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 1:44pm
Which Progressive Dynamics converter did you use?
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 2:50pm
You can do all of that, OR you can do this one thing:

While on shore power, set the fridge to DC (battery mode)...set it for the coldest setting.

Within a minute (or as little as a couple of seconds) the converter fan should activate letting you know the charger is operating. If, after say, 20 minutes, the fan has not come on, and your battery monitor lights are showing less than full, it's certainly time to investigate further.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 3:16pm
Check the two 40 amp fuses they may be blown if you even for a second touch the cables backwards while changing the battery. They protect the converter from reverse current. They maybe 30 amp I’m told on some of the newer r-pods. They should be at the top of the fuses slightly removed from the other 12 
volt fuses.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by mdballou

Which Progressive Dynamics converter did you use?

Not positive, but I think this one will work:

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dynamics-PD4655V-Inteli-Power-Converter/dp/B002OR4242

If it is bad and before you remove the WFCO, find the model number on it and call PD to make sure you get the right replacement. Take detailed photos of the wiring before un-screwing anything. Make sure you are off shore power and the batteries are disconnected.
2016 R-Pod 176T
dkgeise View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 9:41pm
Thanks for that advice. I tried this and the fan did not come on. I am keeping the battery charged with my solar until we get off the road. Time to take it to the dealer!
Dave & Kate
2017 FR Rpod 179
2014 Ford Explorer w/Factory Tow Package
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 10:16pm
There is also a test done by Dave Hickey who attended the Kentucky MiniMini last October. He found that it was not necessarily vibration, but the screws for the grounding (marked FG) not being tight. Since the current that should be going through the FG screws cant, it then goes through other parts including the bridge rectifier which manifests as a cold solder joint on the negative terminal. Dave Hickey repaired a couple of bad ones while we were at the Kenucky MiniMini. We had a brand new one in the box that he used to take pictures for the guide he posted on the Facebook group last October:

WFCO 89xx Converter Field Repair Guide. Created by Dave Hickey.

In essence, one needs to check the underside of the converter's circuit board after disassembling to move shields out of the way and then looking at the rectifier solder points. If one looks burned, it is the problem one and needs to be cleaned up and re-soldered.

Of course, if the converter is still under warranty, don't do this. However, if it is out of warranty, it would be a lot less expensive than buying a new converter if it is able to be repaired. It wouldn't hurt to try.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Gebaldwin1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 7:48am
The WFCO warrantee is 2 years from when you bought the R-Pod. If you haven’t passed the 2 year date yet contact WFCO ASAP and they will send you a replacement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>