R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrake Adjustment Confusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Adjustment Confusion
    Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 4:19pm
Have the dreaded one wheel lock up (in gravel) so I wanted to adjust the brakes on our 2015 179 (Lippert axle). Upon inspection I have two access ports on the back of the brake plate, the front one has a black spring showing, the rear port has a piece of silver metal showing. I can't see any semblance of a star adjuster wheel in either port. What am I missing here?

Any assistance or guidance regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 5:17pm
You use the hole with the piece of silver metal showing. The adjuster star should be there too. That piece of metal is the locking tab for the self adjusting brakes. it keeps the star adjuster from backing off, so you have to lift it out of the way in order to back off the brakes. You can use a small screwdriver to do that but its a bit of a PITA.  Be sure you can get that tab out of the way and back off the adjuster before you try to tighten it, if you don't you can end up with the shoes locked up. Here is a link to a good picture of what you're looking at.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 5:24pm
Just FYI:

It's common for one wheel to lock in gravel or on a dirt road before the other wheel locks during light to medium brake application. These 'never adjust' or 'self adjust' electric brakes don't synchronize themselves...when one side has enough wear, it will click up a notch and then it has a bit more 'grab' than the other side for awhile, until that one catches up.

Now, if you slam the trailer brakes to maximum braking force on gravel, they should BOTH be able to lock up.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

Just FYI:

It's common for one wheel to lock in gravel or on a dirt road before the other wheel locks during light to medium brake application. These 'never adjust' or 'self adjust' electric brakes don't synchronize themselves...when one side has enough wear, it will click up a notch and then it has a bit more 'grab' than the other side for awhile, until that one catches up.

Now, if you slam the trailer brakes to maximum braking force on gravel, they SHOULD both be able to lock up.

+1, and also your problem might not be the brake adjustment at all, its not uncommon to have one brake magnet either disconnected or weaker than the other one. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply