R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBAL Hide-A-Spare on RPOD?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: BAL Hide-A-Spare on RPOD?
    Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 2:21pm
Anyone use a BAL Hide-A-Spare on an RPOD?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 2:32pm
We just installed one. Our's is a Hood River Edition, so the spare is a bit on the jumbo side. Took a shoehorn, but we got 'er done. We mounted the thing with 5/16" SS bolts, and they have to be drilled ALL THE WAY to the bottom of the frame. It just fits.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

We just installed one. Our's is a Hood River Edition, so the spare is a bit on the jumbo side. Took a shoehorn, but we got 'er done. We mounted the thing with 5/16" SS bolts, and they have to be drilled ALL THE WAY to the bottom of the frame. It just fits.

Good deal.  Which model Hide-A-Spare did you buy?  And what do you mean "they have to be drilled ALL THE WAY to the bottom of the frame."?  It looked to me as if the attach hardware mounts horizontally into the side of the frame.

Mine is a HRE as well with the bigger spare tire.

thanks.
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 8:56pm
I used large self tappers for mine. Just did 1600 miles and did have some screws come loose....none were on the Hide a Spare.

I can't remember the model # but you will have to cut the rails to fit our frames.
2016 R-Pod 176T
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 8:21am
Originally posted by geewizard

Good deal.  Which model Hide-A-Spare did you buy?  And what do you mean "they have to be drilled ALL THE WAY to the bottom of the frame."?  It looked to me as if the attach hardware mounts horizontally into the side of the frame.

thanks.
I think ours is the 28217. The brackets "step out" on both sides. That said, we had to shorten the extension tubes by about 5 inches and re-drill the holes. It wasn't exactly plug-n-play, but it was not complicated.

We had to use the holes at the very top of the mounting brackets (2 on each side), and we had to place the holes through the frame as close to the bottom of the frame as they would go; about 1/2" above the bottom of the frame members.

We used 3" SS bolts plus SS nyloc nuts. Don't forget the anti-seize. In a moment of absent thought, one of our bolts did not get anti-seize, and the nut seized up. We had to cut it off and start over on that one.
bp
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 9:09am

thanks.
I think ours is the 28217. The brackets "step out" on both sides. That said, we had to shorten the extension tubes by about 5 inches and re-drill the holes. It wasn't exactly plug-n-play, but it was not complicated.

We had to use the holes at the very top of the mounting brackets (2 on each side), and we had to place the holes through the frame as close to the bottom of the frame as they would go; about 1/2" above the bottom of the frame members.

We used 3" SS bolts plus SS nyloc nuts. Don't forget the anti-seize. In a moment of absent thought, one of our bolts did not get anti-seize, and the nut seized up. We had to cut it off and start over on that one.

I ordered the 28217 yesterday.  I appreciate the details.  SS hardware is a pain but the way to go.  Thanks.
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:57am
GlueGuy, have you had any issues with the BAL tire carrier bottoming out when crossing rough terrain, ditches, etc?
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 1:41pm

GlueGuy, have you had any issues with the BAL tire carrier bottoming out when crossing rough terrain, ditches, etc?
We have not towed with it yet, but it does hang down a bit. In the final position the cross tubes are about the same level as the dump tubes (just scosh higher). The tire is another inch or so higher than that, and forward of the receiver a little more than a foot. Given the angles and stuff, I think the stabilizer jacks will hit first.
bp
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:38pm
We installed one on our 190.  
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 8:27pm
Here's a pic of mine I had to set it lower by 1.5" so the hood river tire would fit.
Also shortened the tubes 6" And on the 180 the carrier sits just in front of thew tires and Iv'e had no issues with ground clearance.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>