R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAC power requirments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC power requirments
    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 12:46pm
Question So what is the minimum generator requirement to run the AC. Someone told me yesterday he runs his with a 2200 watt generator. I was under the impression it took 3K at least.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 2:43pm
It varies. If you are not running the other appliances (water heater or refrigerator on 120V, then it is possible to run the AC with a 2200 watt generator, especially if you have installed a Micro-Air Easy Start which reduces the peak inrush current needed to get the compressor running. It also depends on if the converter is trying to charge a depleted battery also. If the battery is charged and all the converter is doing is float charging, then it will work. If, however, your battery is low so the converter is in bulk charging mode, then the total load would be too high. Sometimes, you can flip the breaker for the converter if that is the case but then your battery will not be charged. I have had to do that to take the edge off the heat and then turn the converter back on when the 'Pod cools off some.

I did install an Easy Start and am using  a Generac iX2000 generator. I would like to get the Predator 3500, but am holding off for now as the additional weight and size would be harder for me to maneuver and lift. I would need to get some ramps or a hoist to load it in our pickup for travel. I can lift our iX2000, so we are sticking with it for now.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
AlaskaAviator View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 2:59pm
I have a 2000 watt honda but don't think I'll even try it. Am thinking this is the one I would get

EU3000IH1A Handi 3,000W.

A lot more money than the HF model but I would have a hard time trusting it.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 3:08pm
That is because the 2000 watt Honda is most likely actually a 1600 watt continuous/2000 watt starting current generator. The labeling of generators with their peak current instead of the continuous watt capability is misleading at best, deceptive at worst.

The Generac iX2000 is 2000 watt continuous, 2200 watt starting current generator. That is one reason I bought it. The Harbor Freight Predator 3500 gets high review ratings and, if taken care of, should last. Two key factors are keeping the oil in good shape (use synthetic) and only using non-ethanol gasoline with gasoline stabilizer. Many small engines are discarded when all that is needed is a new carburetor  because the owner used ethanol gasoline which gummed up the jets so it does not run. Using non-ethanol gasoline avoids a lot of problems.

Edit: I have seen the HF Predators in action with various food trucks. Every food truck owner I have spoken with about them has spoken highly of them. They are the ones that said that maintaining the oil is part of the key to keeping them running well. They are also very quiet while running which is a big plus.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 3:20pm
Seems like this never goes away. I agree with SH do some research. The question is how much of your capabilities do you want to run. I have been running a Pod AC for years with a Generac IX 2000, the AC and nothing else that is a considerable load. You can't run AC and the Micro, and I found easier if I disable the Converter. So BLUF is depending upon battery charge, I can choose between AC and charging the battery. What did you want to do? If you want it all, you can't do that with a 2K genset. If you are old with a bad back, 3Ks are out of the question. Not an option for me. So I chose a genset that allows me to do what I need and still transport and move it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I would need to get some ramps or a hoist to load it in our pickup for travel. I can lift our iX2000, so we are sticking with it for now.

And if you can get a parallel kit and second identical unit, you could still lift the same weight (twice) and yet have more power available when needed.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by AlaskaAviator

I have a 2000 watt honda but don't think I'll even try it. Am thinking this is the one I would get

EU3000IH1A Handi 3,000W.

A lot more money than the HF model but I would have a hard time trusting it.

Why not try the Honda since you already own it? My Honda 2k runs my a/c fine as long as nothing else is on, including the charger, It would not start  the a/c until I installed the easy start. Now it starts just fine. Note that the startup load of the standard a/c compressor is at least 2-3x the run load. The easy start isn't cheap but its a whole lot less than a new genny and won't trigger the need for lumbar disk surgery. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

And if you can get a parallel kit and second identical unit, you could still lift the same weight (twice) and yet have more power available when needed.

The Generac iX2000 is not parallel capable so a parallel kit is a moot point. On top of that, it is also discontinued.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 7:07pm
Well never mind then....

Tongue
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
AlaskaAviator View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 7:12pm
The Honda Handi 3000 only weighs 78 pounds. The HF unit is a hundred. I might try my 2000. But it is only 1600 watts continuous. Anyway that clears up my question. Thanks for the input. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>