Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello from Oregon in a 195

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Oregon in a 195
    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 7:21pm
Just picked up the 195 last week.  Started looking at 179.  Shout out to Doyle & Mark @ Highway Trailer Sales in Salem.  They were great, no pressure, to work with.  Not a promotional for them, but when you get good service you should share it. 

Got out of a 2014 Sunnybrook (Winnie) 1800FB.  We used it pleasurably for 2 years.  Why did we switch?  Wanted more room, walk around bed (I'm at that age Confused), rear kitchen, more storage, larger shower....could go on.  Only option we added was the GoPower 90w panel with controller.  Keep those batteries juiced!  I added a 2nd 12v AGM battery.  Maybe I should have opted for twin 6v...any comments?  I also removed the 2 seating stools (now a 196?) and replaced the factory mattress with a full size queen bed.  Still plenty of walk around room. All of this for the same UVW.  No brainer.

Couple of questions:

Furion radio has zero AM reception, boosted or not.  Any comments?

Does anyone know where to get a 195 specific cover?

First 2 week boondock trip coming up.  Rafting the Deschutes river and hitting Wallowa lake & Joseph, OR.  Shake down report and photo to follow.

Woot!

2020 RPod 195 Hood River
2015 F150 Ecoboost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 10:18am
Adding a second 12V battery is cheaper than buying two new 6V batteries. Pound for pound, two 12V batteries will provide the same power as two 6V batteries, and also provide a level of redundancy. We've been fine for 2-1/2 years with two 12V batteries.

Can't help you with the Furion; we have the Jensen.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
seafans View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 8:25pm
Batteries:  T105 batteries are 225 amp/hr @ 20hr rate per battery.  Times 2 that is about 450 amp/hr capacity.  The 12 volt is about 50/60 amp/hr. per battery.   There is considerable difference between 2 12 volt batteries and 2 6 volt batteries. 
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:39am
Originally posted by seafans

Batteries:  T105 batteries are 225 amp/hr @ 20hr rate per battery.  Times 2 that is about 450 amp/hr capacity.  The 12 volt is about 50/60 amp/hr. per battery.   There is considerable difference between 2 12 volt batteries and 2 6 volt batteries.   
I said pound for pound. Those are not the same weight. A 225 AH 6 volt battery is equivalent to a 112.5 AH 12V.
bp
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:55am
Originally posted by seafans

You don't double the aH capacity when wiring in series, you double the voltage. When wiring in parallel, as with 12v's, you double the aH's, but not the voltage.

a pair of T-105s in series, gets you the same 225 aH.. but at 12v

a pair of good Group 24's get you about 120aH, but still at 12v

there are pro's and con's going either way. Truth is, unless you boondock for more then a weekend, or in really cold temps.. a single good 12v will do what you need.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 9:22am
Or if you use medical equipment such as a CPAP machine and want to be sure you don't run out of power, dual 6V batteries wired in series is a better choice. Better yet would be a LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery, but the cost of those are still too high compared with the standard flooded lead-acid batteries.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 6:37pm
You can factor in the series/parallel thing as furpod suggests (it works just like he explained).

I find it far easier to deal with batteries as a "box of watt-hours". Multiply the AH by the voltage will give you a good approximation of the watt-hours (E.G. 110 AH at 12V is 1320 watt-hours). After that, you don't have to worry about series or parallel (except to get the voltage you need), just add up the watt-hours.

That's how they now talk about EV batteries, and it makes a lot of sense, as watts is power. Amp-hours is only current flow.
bp
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:08pm
I currently own a pair of deep cycle 12 v. group size 24 Interstate batteries that are going on their 9th year of faithful service.  When camping in the Rockies, as will be done again during the month of September I expect 6 - 7 days total useage from both batteries and that is when night temps are in the mid 40's, hence the furnace runs a lot, and that is the biggest user of the batteries.  If temps are more moderate we may expect an extra day or two but normally 7 days is all I get boondocking in the national parks.  No help from gennie or solar, don't own either.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by jato

I currently own a pair of deep cycle 12 v. group size 24 Interstate batteries that are going on their 9th year of faithful service.  When camping in the Rockies, as will be done again during the month of September I expect 6 - 7 days total useage from both batteries and that is when night temps are in the mid 40's, hence the furnace runs a lot, and that is the biggest user of the batteries.  If temps are more moderate we may expect an extra day or two but normally 7 days is all I get boondocking in the national parks.  No help from gennie or solar, don't own either.

So glad to see this post.. Wink
rschroff View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 11:04pm
Thanks for all the feedback.  Lots of variables to consider.  This forum will definitely be a big source of information.
2020 RPod 195 Hood River
2015 F150 Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply