R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFloor failure!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor failure!!!
    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 1:27pm
  Not wanting to get off the topic of "Floor failure" but I remember a while back it was mentioned that representatives from the manufacture of the r-pods would read this forum at time and I imagine they still do. This forum has been around I think just about the time they started building the r-pods.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:38am
Any reps or techs or engineers, whatever, need to have a thick skin and not get defensive when members 'sound off' or complain...

I used to be active on one of the Ford forums and we had some Ford engineers there...they could be a bit firm when they handled complaints...but the information was sound.

Over on a motorcycle forum I am on, one of the main dudes (company owners) is on the forum now and then....but its a small company and a tight user base. I think they just mainly like to read what people are saying and keep up with the state of affairs. Which is a good thing.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:17am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Open question to the group.

Matt wants to be part of.

Matt is my contact at my Dealership for repair. He wants to read want we are doing and how we come to a solution of such. I see his intentions as pure for knowledge, problems and remedies we find. My impression is he could be a very good add.

Background on me:
My past profession lead me into to many negotiations for sales and issues on projects. One of my talents (shall I boost) is reading folks and their expectations/intentions. I was pretty good at it and gave me a good retirement as the result. I have not come across anyone that has proven my intuition wrong, to date. Matt has years of experience and contacts he can not speak of publicly. I get that. I have the same. He asked if I would introduce/pass the group to him.

I am not one to just pass a group to someone just for the fact of growing the group and am concerned as to what is said and passed forward. I do see his intentions as good.
So I ask the group: Should I pass it along to him?

It's 'our' group and I will not make this decision without approval from you.

We have never had any rules about a tech being a member. All he has to do is apply. If his posts are problematic, (doubtful) then it will be handled.
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 3:34pm
Open question to the group.

Matt wants to be part of.

Matt is my contact at my Dealership for repair. He wants to read want we are doing and how we come to a solution of such. I see his intentions as pure for knowledge, problems and remedies we find. My impression is he could be a very good add.

Background on me:
My past profession lead me into to many negotiations for sales and issues on projects. One of my talents (shall I boost) is reading folks and their expectations/intentions. I was pretty good at it and gave me a good retirement as the result. I have not come across anyone that has proven my intuition wrong, to date. Matt has years of experience and contacts he can not speak of publicly. I get that. I have the same. He asked if I would introduce/pass the group to him.

I am not one to just pass a group to someone just for the fact of growing the group and am concerned as to what is said and passed forward. I do see his intentions as good.
So I ask the group: Should I pass it along to him?

It's 'our' group and I will not make this decision without approval from you.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 3:04pm
I had never been to their repair facility before.. Quite a place! It has to be the largest 'I've seen' to date. They certainly repair far beyond what they sell. I know see even more why their considered one of the best around.

Matt and I spent a good hour (plus) going over what was done, what he hopes to see and my concerns. 

Matt was quite open to allowing me to check the axle, as I explained what I was doing, to allow input from him or corrections. He was very open! We found the inward to be 1/4" upward and the outbound slide side good. That was weird with that's the side the frame gave. The surprise was the door side was slightly upward. I mean slightly, if I could guess from the measuring tape I was using 1/32'd.. Matt said he would ask about tolerance allowed. Remember, I'm empty.

Te next area was the concerns I have on the tongue. Mine is bent upward by 1". We went through a few ways of checking and confirmed the 1". That is also going to be asked about tolerance. We did a few ideas of testing bend/weight and found 1/4" bend by design. Weight off, 1" bend upward. 

Now this is where I ask those willing to check their tongue angle. I should have gone back to the sales lot and checked some new ones (which I will do). I would 'think', by design, it would be downward as new to absorb the deflection, which 'we' determined as 1/4". 

Talked a bit about how to remedy and again, Matt will ask for their recommendations since I'm still under warranty. 
Same for the lift option I asked about. Adding a 2x2x3/16 5ft long section under the frame balanced on the mount. He will ask for recommendation to avoid any warranty issues. We both chuckled about the OEM lift and doing something better could void warranty.. 

The welds on the frame look good to me, as far as I can tell. I thought the 2ft spacing was a bit much, yet the opposite stager the distance. Something else I would like advise about.

I am 'very' happy about how my Dealer dealt with this and how Lippert stepped up to repair! It's still a very good week in my mind and early next week I could have 'Lily" back. 

P.S. Matt was surprised how much mileage I got out of the stock tires. He comment was towards how much attention I pay to things. Also, my tongue weight as it sits empty was 375#'s. Interesting... I do mean empty, I removed everything believing it would be there a while.. No propane tank, battery, spare tire, anything in the interior, empty. That surprised me! Very important how we load and what we add on that tongue!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 5:55pm
Congratulations!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 4:55pm
Wow...great news!

Thumbs Up
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 3:35pm
On the other side of life, my overland rig was tested out. Pretty happy with that as well. This is turning out to be a good week! 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 3:31pm
Last update is my dealer pushed for heavier out riggers to the wall. I can't say enough about how they have stood up for me, nor what Lippert is doing. 

I am so happy this didn't go sideways! In so many ways.. As it could have. Lippert has a 2 thumbs up and my dealer has three (if I had so). 

It's one of those Good Days!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 3:07pm
Great news today! Lippert stepped up! WHOA!

The word was they were sending someone to take a look, yet they sent a welder and repairs are happening! I'm so happy!

So far what I understand is they are sistering to the frame. What else I don't have details to yet.

So happy to hear this info! So happy to know something is happening! So happy Lippert stepped up. So happy I bought the extended warranty. 

Getting the drift? Pretty happy here!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>