R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFloor failure!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor failure!!!
    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:38am
Any reps or techs or engineers, whatever, need to have a thick skin and not get defensive when members 'sound off' or complain...

I used to be active on one of the Ford forums and we had some Ford engineers there...they could be a bit firm when they handled complaints...but the information was sound.

Over on a motorcycle forum I am on, one of the main dudes (company owners) is on the forum now and then....but its a small company and a tight user base. I think they just mainly like to read what people are saying and keep up with the state of affairs. Which is a good thing.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 1:27pm
  Not wanting to get off the topic of "Floor failure" but I remember a while back it was mentioned that representatives from the manufacture of the r-pods would read this forum at time and I imagine they still do. This forum has been around I think just about the time they started building the r-pods.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Matt was quite open to allowing me to check the axle, as I explained what I was doing, to allow input from him or corrections. He was very open! We found the inward to be 1/4" upward and the outbound slide side good. That was weird with that's the side the frame gave. The surprise was the door side was slightly upward. I mean slightly, if I could guess from the measuring tape I was using 1/32'd.. Matt said he would ask about tolerance allowed. Remember, I'm empty.

Te next area was the concerns I have on the tongue. Mine is bent upward by 1". We went through a few ways of checking and confirmed the 1". That is also going to be asked about tolerance. We did a few ideas of testing bend/weight and found 1/4" bend by design. Weight off, 1" bend upward. 

Now this is where I ask those willing to check their tongue angle. I should have gone back to the sales lot and checked some new ones (which I will do). I would 'think', by design, it would be downward as new to absorb the deflection, which 'we' determined as 1/4". 

1/4 inch upward in the center is OK. I'd have to look at the deflection limits again but 1/32 could be at or past the axle tube yield point, the axle ends are pretty short. it could also be measurement error, its hard to measure to 1/32 inch tolerance with a tape. OTOH, it wouldn't really surprise me if the axle end bent on the side opposite the frame failure. Whichever part fails first will absorb most of the energy, so if you get an overload on both sides it could easily be that the axle bends on one side first and the frame on the other.

Yeah it does sound like you have a tongue/front frame failure too. 1 inch is a lot. I highly doubt that Lippert builds a crown into rPod frames when it fabricates them. See if you can determine where the bend is. I can't measure mine right now but I will when I get the chance.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 7:09am
Originally posted by offgrid

Yeah it does sound like you have a tongue/front frame failure too. 1 inch is a lot. I highly doubt that Lippert builds a crown into rPod frames when it fabricates them. See if you can determine where the bend is. I can't measure mine right now but I will when I get the chance.  

Also used a straight edge (4ft level) and the tongue is straight, no rocking in the straight edge. I'm certain they'll run a longer straight edge along the entire tongue (starting back at the main running beam) to work out where the bend is located.
My guess is at the front cross beam. When your talking 1" over 4ft and the deflection could be along a 4" section of steel beam.. doubt you'd spot that by eye. With that said, the welds looked good and being fairly good now at spotting deflection, I couldn't see it. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 1:15pm
Ok, I ran the numbers for the combined beam case. The formula for adding two asymentrical shapes together turned out to be a little tricky. I assumed a uniformly loaded frame from the tongue to the rear of trailer beams and a 3800 lb total weight. That's not really right but it simplifies the problem quite a bit and its not terribly far off. 

That puts the two max stress points at the axle and at a point about 58 inches aft of the ball. The stress is about half as much at the 58 inch point as it is at the axle. 

I get a 2G load capacity factor at the axle and 4G at the 58 inch point when I add the 2x2x3/16 tube under the 4x2x0.1 tube. 

If it were me, I'd stack 2x2x0.1 tubes in the front and use 2x4x0.1 tubes at the axle. That bumps the safety factor up to about 3G at throughout. You should have room to add the 4 inch tubes, they will add roughly the same height to the trailer as the riser kit does. 

I would make the length of the axle area frame reinforcement pieces 66 inches long and start them 28 inches in front of the axle, ending 38 inches behind it. I would make the 2x2 tongue area reinforcement pieces 78 inches  long and start them 18 inches back from the hitch, ending 8 ft behind it. Total weight increase would be about 80 lbs. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 1:49pm

Ok, I ran the numbers for the combined beam case. The formula for adding two asymentrical shapes together turned out to be a little tricky. I assumed a uniformly loaded frame from the tongue to the rear of trailer beams and a 3800 lb total weight. That's not really right but it simplifies the problem quite a bit and its not terribly far off. 

Has to start somewhere and you're the guy to figure where!

That puts the two max stress points at the axle and at a point about 58 inches aft of the ball. The stress is about half as much at the 58 inch point as it is at the axle. 

I really do think I understand this! It's scaring me..

I get a 2G load capacity factor at the axle and 4G at the 58 inch point when I add the 2x2x3/16 tube under the 4x2x0.1 tube. 

That I just take your statement on. No way could I have worked that out!

If it were me, I'd stack 2x2x0.1 tubes in the front and use 2x4x0.1 tubes at the axle. That bumps the safety factor up to about 3G at throughout. You should have room to add the 4 inch tubes, they will add roughly the same height to the trailer as the riser kit does. 

For all else, not having done what has been done to mine, I ask. 'I' have a new parent metal of 3/16's steel. Would it be smarter then to add (for me) a 2x3x3/16 section at the axle? I now have a 1" lift and modulus seems very close to the 2x4x.1.. 'I' still have the added 21#'s (or so) due to the support added now. So I'd total out somewhere just over 100#'s. 

I would make the length of the axle area frame reinforcement pieces 66 inches long and start them 28 inches in front of the axle, ending 38 inches behind it. I would make the 2x2 tongue area reinforcement pieces 78 inches  long and start them 18 inches back from the hitch, ending 8 ft behind it. Total weight increase would be about 80 lbs. 

Axle section I follow easily, not so much the tongue section. Do we have that much length to stack under? If I had my unit here, I'd be out there measuring.. I believe you're figuring we have 9.5ft hitch to side beam length. 

My comment above deals with the steel thickness of the frame repair that has been done to my unit. Please do not confuse this with what Offgrid is recommending to the stock frame setup. All my question of length on the tongue is not due to any laziness on my part, just that my unit is not here as of yet for me to do so. 

Hopes are I will be picking it up early next week.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 2:31pm
An interesting tid-bit that I find somewhat interesting. Deals with the floor sag.

In my research in this failure I read (and watched a video) of how our floors are built. Each said (or showed) metal (believe aluminum) as cross members in the floor construction. This lead to how the heck they would straighten this with tearing up the floor.

Another going through much the same was told that the floor would relax.. My only response to that was "Please let me know how that works out." My thoughts, which I did not state to them were/are basic. Steel in a 8" span, sagging over an inch, is not normal flex it will 'relax' from.

Well, my floor has 'relaxed'... Shall I say returned back very close to normal. Makes absolutely no sense to me. How is this possible?

I come to a few possibilities. 

First being there is no boxed end on these cross-members. That would leave a space for this to happen and only the over-hung plywood (floor composite) is holding the exterior wall between the points of the cross member. If so, the added brackets are now holding the cracked floor.
This senecio to me has credence.

Next is that if there is a boxed beam, it only goes to the frame beam and the entire exterior wall is supported by the floor composite. 
This would be a candeliered wall support. Yet that requires the floor composite to be equal to the cross members.
I don't see this as a possible.

Next, is this. The cross members are metal (?) and did not bend. They do indeed go to the exterior wall and there may just be the boxed beam I hope is there. What happened is the underlay delaminated and dropped/sagged. Sounds good, but let's think about this senecio. The frame pushed upward and the wall stayed in place? Only the underlay moved? Then wouldn't it have torn from the outside wall and show a gap? The whole side skin wouldn't have shifted with it.. The side wouldn't have worked, the skin would have seperated from the roof. 

I do believe I have a bent floor. I need my unit back here to dig in deeper to the damage. 

I state this for you all to think of what else I (possibly all) should be looking at. Hey, what am I missing? 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 3:40pm
Part 2 of this video is the floor construction. There's really not a lot of there there, as they say. So, its not surprising that the floor just conformed back to the shape of the main longitudinal tubes once those were straigtened. 

It sounds like Lippert has already added something under the old (repaired) 2x4x0.1 tube? Probably you explained that but I missed that before or am having a senior moment. Can you clarify what you have right now? 

For the front reinforcement, I just assumed straight 2x4x0.1 longitudinal tubes plus 2x2 tubes under those to make the calcs simpler. I don't have access to my trailer at the moment either so I didn't measure the tongue. But, these can also be run at angles as they do in the A frame, that's not going to make a whole lot of difference  structurally I don't think.  The point is that there is also some significant moment being carried under the front part of the trailer box so the reinforcement ought to extend into that area as well. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 4:20pm

Part 2 of this video is the floor construction. There's really not a lot of there there, as they say. So, its not surprising that the floor just conformed back to the shape of the main longitudinal tubes once those were straigtened. 

I'm just going to deal with part for now.

What do you see or not see?

No boxed beam. 

Take a closer look and see what you do.

Pay attention to the tongue frame as it comes back. We know this intersects with the longitude beam. Where is it?  Now those two outriggers shown.. I'll be darned if I have those on mine. I think those where just added on mine.

All I'm sayin' here is if you want it to last a lifetime, you may wish to add some outriggers to support. I don't wish anyone I what I have gone through if avoidable! 
And again, for what we paid, and what we have, it's not that much effort to make it so far beyond and capable!

Please, let's turn this thread (or build another) to what we can do so others do not have to endure what I have. If I had known, I would have... 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 4:31pm
This tells all to me.

If you don't see it, all I can say is get some outriggers on there. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>