R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFloor failure!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor failure!!!
    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Using the 1.22 modulus, with 192" of length, how much force you come up with?

Here's what I have: 2x4x192x1.22 = 1,873.92 pounds of force to bend. 

The frame bending stress calc is a bit more complicated unfortunately (you probably guessed that). Ouch

First you need to select the beam loading case you want to use. I am assuming a uniformly loaded single ended cantilever beam. (case 18 in the attached link).  This isn't quite right of course but short of creating a detailed finite element model of the trailer its probably about as good as we can easily do. R1 in this model is the hitch and R2 is the axle. 

This gives a maximum moment at the axle of wa^2/2 where w is the load per unit length and a is the overhang. My 179 frame rail overhang is 80 inches and assuming a total weight of 3800 lbs (the 179 gross weight rating) and an overall length of 240 inches I get a moment of 25333 in-lbs for each frame rail. Bending stress is moment divided by section modulus so that would be 20.76 ksi. Mild steel allowable design yield is 36 ksi so that gives a safety factor of 1.73. The allowable yield point is the point at which plastic deformation of the steel will begin to occur, meaning that the frame rail will not return to its original shape after being loaded. 

But that's not the whole story. We need to take into account the axle mounting brackets and the effect of the torsion axle on the frame rails. That is caused by the moment applied to the frame by the torsion axle trying to twist the frame up in back and down in front of the attachment point. Check out this link to see what I mean.

This is a weakness of a torsion axle design compared to a leaf spring axle. This load will be additive to the bending load of the cantilever beam we calculated above (bad), but the peak load will now be at the back end of the axle mounting bracket so the overhang will be reduced from what I calculated above (good). 

Short of having an FEA model of the trailer about all I know how to do is calculate the moment created by the torsion arm and weight on the wheel and then apply half this moment at the back end of the axle attachment bracket (the other half I assume will be taken at the front end of the bracket).  With a torque arm length of 7 inches, a weight of 1750 lbs on the wheel, (half the axle gross weight rating) I get a moment of 6125 in-lbs and a bending stress of 5020 psi from the torsion axle.   

Recalculating the bending stress for the trailer beam load for the 6 inch shorter overhang behind the end of the axle bracket I get 17.8 ksi. Adding these two together I get a total bending stress of 22.8 ksi for a safety factor of 1.58.  Or looked at another way 6000 lbs force on the whole trailer to reach allowable design load.  Using the ultimate yield point (when the steel would actually break) for mild steel of around 61 ksi corresponds to about 2.67 g's or about 10000 lbs total load on the trailer. 

Not too good considering that from what I've read vehicle frames should be designed to allow for a minimum of 2.75-3 G bump loads if not higher. There will be additional stiffness added by the trailer structure itself which will reduce the loads on the frame rails, but still, its pretty clear to me that the rPod frame and axle are under designed at least for the heavier rPods and we need to be careful in how we load and handle rough roads and potholes. Keeping as much load forward as we can without exceeding the tow vehicle tongue weight rating is the way to go to minimize frame and axle bending as well as trailer sway risk. 

Ok, that's enough engineering for one day for me Geek

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 12:31pm
I do wish you lived near.. I owe you more than a beer of choice for all this effort!

Your 10,000# number is stated as breaking. Do you consider Breaking and fracturing to be the same?

A past colleague of mine is also a Mechanical Engineer, yet you have so much more knowledge of the trailer than even what I could pass along to him.
He defines break and fracture differently.. His break number alines with yours, fracture is lower..

I'm going to come out of all this smarter than when I started. I really liked not knowing all this (not yet ready to laugh about that)...

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 12:50pm
Care to guess where the fracture is??

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 2:23pm
I'm not an ME, actually my degree is in Physics, so I like to say I know enough to be dangerous LOL 

But I've wound up doing a lot of mechanical, electrical, and thermal engineering in order to design and manage engineering teams designing solar projects. 

I've always seen structural systems designed using allowable load (eg, based on the 36ksi number for mild steel). Above that and you can get plastic deformation, meaning that the metal bends and stays bent. Ultimate yield is the point at which the steel will break after having been stressed beyond the allowable design point. It deforms first way before breaking, so that's not the number to be using for our frame and axle designs. 

I think your friend raises an interesting point. He is probably referring to fatigue fractures. You get fatigue fractures starting where there are tiny discontinuities in the steel, which there always are. These can then propagate slowly over thousands or tens of thousands of load cycles, eventually resulting in breakage failures. They can occur at stress levels well below ultimate.  For steels the endurance limit threshold below which cyclic loads can continue essentially indefinitely without fracture propagation is generally taken as about half ultimate yield, so around 30ksi or 1.31g which is a little less than allowable design stress. 

If our frames were designed more conservatively, say around a 2.5-3g allowable load, we would get very few if any cycles above the threshold so no opportunity for propagation of fractures to occur. But at about 1.3g we are likely getting some significant number cycles above the threshold and so there is the possibility for fractures to occur even if we're not quite reaching the point where we are bending the frames. Are we getting tens of thousands of cycles at that level? Who knows? 

Bottom line IMHO is we are under designed and so subject to a variety of failure modes in our axles and frames that we really shouldn't be having to deal with. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Care to guess where the fracture is??

Yep, it figures. 

The only "easy" reinforcement fixes I can think of offhand would either be to weld angles to the bottom and outside of the frame tubes and then bolt up the axle brackets, or to make up longer axle risers and weld on new attachment brackets to mate to them. 3 or 4 feet total length would probably bring the stresses down to something fairly reasonable.  Or you could convert to leaf springs, but even then some additional frame reinforcement in that area would still probably be a good idea. 

I'm partial to a nice craft brewed IPA BTWThumbs Up

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 2:11pm
Supposedly, the flat bed truck comes tomorrow to haul it to the dealer..

The journey begins! 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 2:49pm
Good luck....
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 8:31am
Olddawgsrule, I just had a thought. 

There is yet another force that will push upwards on the frame at that same "weak point". That is braking. If you were to brake aggressively you would get a lot of torque acting on a moment arm extending from the tire contact patch up to the frame attachment, trying to twist the frame. That moment arm is pretty big especially if you have a riser kit. My moment arm for that braking force is about 14 inches, twice the 7 inch arm of the torsion axle itself (I have risers and 15 inch tires). That means that if the braking force was about the same as the down force the effect is twice as large at that "weak point". I'm sure that none of us are able to get that much stopping power out of our trailer brakes but even so, aggressive braking is going to add significant stress at that point on the frame rail. 

Have you had to do any heavy braking lately that could have contributed to this? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 9:51am
Originally posted by offgrid

Olddawgsrule, I just had a thought. 

There is yet another force that will push upwards on the frame at that same "weak point". That is braking. If you were to brake aggressively you would get a lot of torque acting on a moment arm extending from the tire contact patch up to the frame attachment, trying to twist the frame. That moment arm is pretty big especially if you have a riser kit. My moment arm for that braking force is about 14 inches, twice the 7 inch arm of the torsion axle itself (I have risers and 15 inch tires). That means that if the braking force was about the same as the down force the effect is twice as large at that "weak point". I'm sure that none of us are able to get that much stopping power out of our trailer brakes but even so, aggressive braking is going to add significant stress at that point on the frame rail. 

Have you had to do any heavy braking lately that could have contributed to this? 

I can say no. I travel so carefully and leave so much room between myself and those around me. I travel from months at a time, so I'm overly cautious. My wife says I drive slower than her Grandmother did..
I do have 15" tires, but no lift. East Coast version. 

With all that said.. Wouldn't braking spread that force over both sides? Wouldn't then the torsion be working in my favor? Now 'I'm' learning enough to be dangerous.. or confusing the crap out of myself..

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 1:45pm
This has always been a rumor for me, due never asking.. So I shall!

It's rumored that the HRE's have a 5200# axle. If true, are their frame's also of thicker steel?

I met a HRE owner that claimed his axle was a 5200#... 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>