R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFloor failure!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor failure!!!
    Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:30am
Originally posted by offgrid

Originally posted by David and Danette

I was told by a RV dealer that the electric brakes were designed to not lock up.

The way it is supposed to work for max emergency braking is that you set up your brake controller so that at its maximum adjusted output voltage (when the manual slide is fully on) the braking force is just short of lockup on dry pavement. That is the setup procedure the controller manufacturers recommend because that will give you the shortest stops. If you set the controller voltage higher and apply full brakes you will  lock up the wheels which will cause the braking force to go down because you're now skidding along on a patch of melting rubber so the friction coefficient is reduced. If you set the voltage lower then you are not going to get all the possible braking action if you ever need it. 

On many travel trailers, my rPod being one, you can't get enough braking action to lock up the wheels even at full voltage from the brake controller. The brakes just aren't powerful enough. Since I can't get there I have no idea how much more emergency stopping power my tires could give me before I start to skid.  If a trailer salesperson wants to call that a design "feature" ok I guess, but to me its a design weakness.   I'd prefer to have more brake capacity available and be able to adjust them with my brake controller to the level I want.

Switch to discs.. popular mod in a couple other groups I am in..
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:21am
You folks know if FR makes this frame? If not who the supplier is?

Haven't heard back from the Dealership yet.. No news is not good news in this case..
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:40am
Lippert makes the frame. They arrive at the plant pre-assembled. Historically, they will not deal with you directly.

again... the answer most undoubtedly is NOT a new frame. It will be to repair and reinforce that frame.. again.. happens a lot. There are lots of shops around the country that specialize in it.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

You folks know if FR makes this frame? If not who the supplier is?

Haven't heard back from the Dealership yet.. No news is not good news in this case..

It may take days for them to access the damage, talk to FR, hear back.. heck maybe weeks. Unfortunate, but true.

RV dealerships and repair shops, do not, in any way shape or form, work like Honda or Ford, etc. Mostly because of how owners deal with problems and issues on their RVs.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:15am
Originally posted by furpod

Lippert makes the frame. They arrive at the plant pre-assembled. Historically, they will not deal with you directly.

again... the answer most undoubtedly is NOT a new frame. It will be to repair and reinforce that frame.. again.. happens a lot. There are lots of shops around the country that specialize in it.

Two of the 'Big Boys' for RV repair/re-building won't touch it. I have a third to go to and request if and when I reach that point. I do know a couple shops that will do most anything and have used them in the pass for projects. Yet another possible fall back.

It's not me pushing for a new frame, understand this. That was the first statement of the Dealership.

I'd prefer to see the rail/beam replaced and see that as fairly easy. Just won't have a top weld without at least lifting the box (cabin, floor..). My concern which a patch is the original .1 steel is still there.. and possible compromise of by patching. I think this is why the 2 Big Boys refused.

At this point, whatever they do, if covered, would be great!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:17am
Oh, and a quick search on Lippert frame issues has turned up a lot of reading.. I'm no where near the first... 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:32am

Oh, and a quick search on Lippert frame issues has turned up a lot of reading.. I'm no where near the first... 

No you are not.. car, truck, trailer, motorcycle.. frames get bent. They get repaired. Life moves forward.

Remember in your reading, no one wants to admit it may be their fault.. and.. not a single one of the million owners who have not had a frame issue has started a post or complaint about NOT having an issue..

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:52am
Originally posted by furpod

No you are not.. car, truck, trailer, motorcycle.. frames get bent. They get repaired. Life moves forward.

Remember in your reading, no one wants to admit it may be their fault.. and.. not a single one of the million owners who have not had a frame issue has started a post or complaint about NOT having an issue..

What I find is most are blind to having an issue. Last one was they're changing their tires to GYE's because the stock 'China Bombs' are wearing on the inside edge.
I was blasted for mentioning that there may be another issue here worth looking into.

The reading I'm doing seems to be related to FR's line of trailers. Leads me to think FR gave Lippert the spec's for building. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:02am
There is no doubt that FR gave Lippert dimensional and load information for the frame. It's not necessarily true that FR specified how Lippert should build it.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:20pm

[
What I find is most are blind to having an issue. Last one was they're changing their tires to GYE's because the stock 'China Bombs' are wearing on the inside edge.
I was blasted for mentioning that there may be another issue here worth looking into.

The reading I'm doing seems to be related to FR's line of trailers. Leads me to think FR gave Lippert the spec's for building. 

I am sure FR sent specs to Lippert.

Where were you blasted? I will admit I try to check in every day if possible, and I have not seen it. Feel free to PM me if needed about any issue with the site or our members.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>