R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy are windows not caulked around outside?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are windows not caulked around outside?
    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 10:49am
Hi,
I have a front window on my 178 that I believe is leaking from the outside.  I regularly find water in the front storage compartment after rain or washing the pod.  Usually not much more than a cup or so but it has taken me a long time to figure out the source.  I now believe it is dripping down the wall from the window seal.

Should I remove the window and re-apply gasket or just caulk the outside of the window?  I also find it odd that Forest River doesn't caulk the windows in the first place?  I'm sure someone here knows why, but what is the reason for that?  Thanks!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 11:08am
They have a compression gasket. They don't need, nor will, caulk do anything.

A couple of owners over the years have had a problem with the gasket, but it's pretty rare. Thew first thing to try is tightening the window with the screws on the inside. If that fails to cure the problem, and you are SURE it's the window leaking, (again, pretty rare) then pulling the window and replacing the gasket is the next step.

You are more likely to find a leak or gap at the seal that runs up the center of sliding window, there have been issues with that seal contracting and leaving a gap at the bottom. The most common fix for that is a bit o silicone to fill the gap.

If the leak is in the storage compartment, oddly enough, that is usually the door gasket, not the frame or insert gasket, of the cargo door itself.
hialtitude View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 12:18pm
Thanks for the advice.  I originally suspected that the storage compartment seal was the problem but I replaced that last week and it is now very tight.  After washing the pod there was the same leakage in the compartment though.  

Maybe I should tape off the compartment all together and spray water around the window seal to see if it still accumulates in the compartment?  Any other ideas?  Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply