R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle Riser/Lift Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle Riser/Lift Kit
    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:20am
I'll defer to Offgrid. He explained it well to me and I don't wish to mis-state anything.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:41am
The frame on the 195 is made from 2 x 5 x .100 thk rectangular tubing.  The axle mounts are located 10 inches from the inside edge of the tire, to the center of the mount.  As far as any concern about a lift kit, the only factor I can think of being an issue is, are the lifts made from atleast equally structural steel. I would think that Simply placing a shim between two contact points should not compromise the structural integrity of something unless the shim is inferior.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
finder9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:43am
Will the thickness of a nickel help?  Don't have anything that can do it accurately. Sorry.
Jack
2017 Rpod 179
2015 Dodge Ram
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:13am
Originally posted by mjlrpod

The frame on the 195 is made from 2 x 5 x .100 thk rectangular tubing.  The axle mounts are located 10 inches from the inside edge of the tire, to the center of the mount.  As far as any concern about a lift kit, the only factor I can think of being an issue is, are the lifts made from atleast equally structural steel. I would think that Simply placing a shim between two contact points should not compromise the structural integrity of something unless the shim is inferior.

Well the sizing is better, thickness still low. 
Your modulus #'s are 1.421
Mine (2x4x.1) is 1.001

Your are also at 4740 max weight.

What axle is under there?

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Jeepinator

I’m no engineer, but I’m a curious how raising the height would add more force?  Perhaps a smidge of downforce (original height times 1.X where X equals additional height?) but I wouldn’t think it was even measurable.  

The lift kit won't add more force but it will add more moment (think torque). The vertical load on the frame from gravity or from getting lifted by a bump or dropping into a hole won't change.  The moment from the arm of the torsion axle getting pushed up also won't change. What will change is the moment caused by braking or by hitting a curb. That is because torque is force x distance. The distance is the height difference between the contact patch and the frame, which is increased by the lift kit. If it helps to visualize this imagine the extreme case where you bolt 10 foot stilts on your trailer and then you run it into a curb. The stilts would act as a long lever and immediately twist the frame where it is attached.

Is it a significant increase? With my lift kit the distance from the contact patch to the frame is 14 inches. Without it it would be 10.5 inches, so it adds 33% to the stress on the frame from braking or hitting a curb. So yes it is significant. 

Is it enough more to cause a frame failure? The only reported frame failure I know of is Olddawgsrule's and he doesn't have a lift kit on his trailer. There are lots of owners who have lift kits, including all the HRE's until FR started increasing height by changing the start angle on the torsion arm, not sure when that was. So I'd say that there is no hard evidence that adding the lift kit increases the stress on the frame enough to cause frame failures in the real world. 

For me, if I can come up with a simple and inexpensive way to reinforce the frame at that weak point I will just do it rather than risk a failure, but I'm not giving up my lift kit.  For where I camp the standard height trailer is just too low to the ground. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:42am
Thank you Offgrid! I knew you would explain it better!

I offer my statements due to the frame failure I have incountered. Adding the additional support to the frame is a minor cost and reduces the chance of failure. 

Axle failure and replacement is much easier than what has to happen to mine. I do wish I had caught it sooner or knew what I do now earlier.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:43am

a 2x5x0.1 tube is 74% stronger in bending than a 2x4x0.1 tube so without having done all the detailed equations for the 195 I think it's frame would probably be no worse if not better than a smaller rPod's.  

All this material is going to be fabricated from mild steel for cost reasons so there isn't any reason to be concerned about the strength of the lift kit compromising the frame because of that. The lift kit does add to the stress on the frame from hitting a curb or from hard braking, see my post above.  

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:02am
Originally posted by offgrid

a 2x5x0.1 tube is 74% stronger in bending than a 2x4x0.1 tube so without having done all the detailed equations for the 195 I think it's frame would probably be no worse if not better than a smaller rPod's.  

All this material is going to be fabricated from mild steel for cost reasons so there isn't any reason to be concerned about the strength of the lift kit compromising the frame because of that. The lift kit does add to the stress on the frame from hitting a curb or from hard braking, see my post above.  

Scary, I had 71% 

Curious, I see the 2x5 having greater strength the 'hard way', yet wouldn't the added height (without added thickness) make it more susceptible to bulging? 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:15am
Greetings:
I've owned 2 pods, a 171 and now a 2015 179.  I have had the factory lift kits on both.  I have driven many miles on rough 2 lane roads in MN and WIS plus gravel and hayfields for dry camping.  I've had no problems with the frame or axle on either pod. I try to avoid running over curbs etc. but have at very low speeds.  I have dual LP tanks and a group 27 battery, and usually a full tank of water.  Several pod owners have gone to Alaska and back with pods.  I do think the axle is a bit light.  I've looked at some other RV's similar to the pod that had frames with smaller square tubing.  I wonder how they work out.  

Crankster78
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:25am
We have to keep in mind that FR sells the lift kit which is designed(supposedly) for our trailers. If in fact the use of risers causes frame damage, then FR could be liable. Bent axles and frames would be a hard thing to prove in court due to the many variables involved. That being said, I'll take my chances since dragging hard parts on the ground may cause just as much damage. If the collective comes up with a reasonable reinforcement that can be welded in place I'm all for it. 

What stumps me is that many members here drag their Pods all over the country with zero issues with the frame or axles. I have to wonder if the few failures we have seen are caused by poor metallurgy or installation errors? 
2016 R-Pod 176T
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>