R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJust completed 4,000 miles...avg of 10mpg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just completed 4,000 miles...avg of 10mpg
    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by furpod

he found that the "spoiler" actually increased drag.. LOL

That's what rear spoilers do...they add drag to produce downforce.

Just FYI, I typically get between 10 and 14mpg  with mine, depending on wind, hills, and my right foot.

The difference is, with my 390hp V8, and 7 speed slushbox, the go pedal works quite well when I need it to, even when climbing hills.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 2:20am
Originally posted by podwerkz

Originally posted by furpod

he found that the "spoiler" actually increased drag.. LOL 

That's what rear spoilers do...they add drag to produce downforce.

That's what a wing is supposed to do. On a race car a wing creates negative lift at the expense of drag to increase downforce. Basically its an airplane wing flipped upside down.  

A spoiler on a passenger vehicle is usually supposed to reduce drag. It does this by "spoiling" the airflow over a surface, changing the aerodynamics. Rear spoilers if done right reduce the steep downward angle the airflow sees from the rear roof edge, delaying airflow separation. The same thing that trailer tails on trucks are intended to do.  The problem is that much of the time on passenger vehicles they don't provide any benefit other than (maybe) looking cool. 

I'm not sure if the spoiler on the back of an rPod falls into this purely aesthetic category or not. Sounds like from furpod's post the answer is yes. It would be interesting to try to do a coast down test with and without it and see for sure. It you find a few miles of flat empty road on a windless day, accelerate to about 65 mph, put the vehicle in neutral, and then film the speedo with your smartphone while you coast down to a few mph, you can put the speed and time numbers in a spreadsheet which will calculate your drag and rolling resistance. Best to do several runs both directions and average them. I did it with my car once and it was reasonably accurate but I haven't tried it with my tow rig yet.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:13am
I tow with my Tacoma. I see a reduction in mileage of a 35% average when towing. Your mileage numbers it within what I see on mine. 

Know, I drive tops just under 65mph. I'm the last one up the hill, typically. Cruise control only on the flats. I've been cross-country twice now (Canada and USA), so I've driven most all conditions.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:59am
I tracked my MPG on the ride home from Niagra Falls a few weeks ago pulling the 195. I tow with a 2015 Nissan Frontier with a 4.0 L V6.  I drove about 9 1/2 hours straight thru. Every time I stopped for gas,  I recorded my mileage and how many gallons to fill up. I got a good spectrum of road conditions, uphill, downhill, a good rain storm for awhile, then warm and sunny. At times I drove into a head wind, other times a tail wind.  I found I averaged 12 MPG. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:44am
I wish I could tow at 60, but going that much slower than the rest of the traffic makes me uncomfortable. Even at 65 in a 70 means most of the other traffic is going 75 and 10 under has an impact on the other traffic as they try and get around me. It's my motorcycle background that makes me want to be travelling slightly faster than the average traffic speed where I feel the safest along with other threat detection and lane placement. I'm not knocking you guys that can go a bit slower at all, but I just can't do it. 

I appreciate all the info from everyone and at least I know 10mpg is about right for my set-up and speed. Maybe a different TV is in our future, but for now it will have to do. I do like the Avalanche platform. It was innovative back in it's day and it's too bad they discontinued it in 2014. 

2016 R-Pod 176T
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:59am
Greetings:
I've owned two pods, a 171 and now a 2015 179. I tow with a 2007 F-150 with the 4.6 V8, 8 foot box.  I get from 10 to 12.5 MPG towing at 60.  I usually drive on 2 lane roadways but do use freeways.  I stay in the right lane and let everyone go by.  I've had few problems with traffic.  Many trucks are driving at 65 or less.  I went to 8 ply tires which I run at 65 PSI.  They seem to improve mileage a bit.

Crankster78  
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:11am
To put it in perspective, if you get 14 mpg at 60 mph in dead flat no wind conditions like I do, you should get 12.8 mpg at 65 mph, and pretty much the same 12.8 mph at 60 into a 5 mph headwind. That's how significant the drag effect is. 

Around here on the freeway, you're a road boulder whether you drive at 60, 65 or 70 anyway, so for that economy difference, I'll travel at 60 and they can go around me LOL

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 11:49am
Have just finished an 1100 mile trip from the thumb of MI to the UP (Escanaba) and back home.  Thumb of MI speed 68 mph  11 mpg.  UP, of Michigan and return: speeds from 55 to 67 mph  12 mpg.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 12:40pm
I'm a grumpy old man and try not to exceed 55 as a general rule.  No point in burning fuel unnecessarily and putting extra strain on the TV.  If I'm not going fast enough, then people can pass.  I am very conscious about using turn outs or even wide spots in the road to let others go by.  I don't want to piss someone off to the point that they try to pass when they shouldn't and cause an accident.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by lostagain

I'm a grumpy old man and try not to exceed 55 as a general rule.  No point in burning fuel unnecessarily and putting extra strain on the TV.  If I'm not going fast enough, then people can pass.  I am very conscious about using turn outs or even wide spots in the road to let others go by.  I don't want to piss someone off to the point that they try to pass when they shouldn't and cause an accident.

Hear ya Fred! I'm the same way! Funny thing with me is 55mph is not my best speed for mpg.. I ran a road out in Olympia National that I could barely do 20-30 mph and my mileage (on the dash) jumped! Slow real slow is awesome! On the highway I've tested 55, 60, 65 mph and find 62mph to be the sweet spot. This is not from the dash, but from driving a tank of gas and dividing out the mileage.

All I'm saying is every tow vehicle has it's sweet spot. I know mine now. Test it as you drive a distance on a tank of gas. I also watch rpm's when climbing a hill. I'm constantly going to manual and dropping it back. My wife busts me with "The cyclist is passing us!" Me, "ya, but we will pass him on the downhill!"

V8, V6, gas or diesel.. Everyone has that sweet spot!    
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>