R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJust completed 4,000 miles...avg of 10mpg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just completed 4,000 miles...avg of 10mpg
    Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 8:14pm
 The HP needed is always lower going slower because the air drag is always lower when the speed goes down. So, when folks talk about a sweet spot what is usually going on is that they have found a speed where the engine is efficient, typically when its running at a low rpm,  just before the tranny kicks into a downshift. Those points are going to vary quite a lot with conditions (headwind vs, tailwind, grade, temperature). There are so many uncontrollable variables that it gets pretty subjective really quickly.

For me I also find 61 or 62 to be a good speed (no wind, flat ground) because the tranny downshifts much more  frequently above that speed, killing my mpg. That's not to say that  45, 50 or 55 aren't better for fuel efficiency, they are. But its a tradeoff between efficiency and speed, if efficiency was all that counted we could stay in one place and use no fuel at all LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 10:38pm
It's difficult to convince people of the value of a nearly $170 ScanGauge, but I think they are worth the money for monitoring mpg and transmission temps when towing. 

One thing I learned is that, crazy as it sounds, there is a noticeable difference in avg daytime and nighttime mpg...presumably due to the fact that the air is usually calmer, cooler, and more dense in the evenings in my part of the country.

Bonus....with the Scangauge (or most other OBD2 readouts) you get air temps, oil temps, coolant temps, avg mpg, instantaneous mpg, current horsepower, exact RPM, error codes, etc.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 7:04am
Originally posted by podwerkz

It's difficult to convince people of the value of a nearly $200 ScanGauge, but I think they are worth the money for monitoring mpg and transmission temps when towing. 

One thing I learned is that, crazy as it sounds, there is a noticeable difference in avg daytime and nighttime mpg...presumably due to the fact that the air is usually calmer, cooler, and more dense in the evenings in my part of the country.

Bonus....with the Scangauge (or most other OBD2 readouts) you get air temps, oil temps, coolant temps, avg mpg, instantaneous mpg, current horsepower, exact RPM, error codes, etc.

Most modern vehicles will give you that info on the dash. I have an BT OBD connection and have Torque Pro on my phone. But it gets it's information from the same sensors the truck readout does.. It does have the ability to read, track, and clear codes if needed, but so far, have not needed that much. Wink
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 8:11am
See, that's exactly my point. It's a lot like trying to convince someone who confidently uses a smartphone for turn-by-turn directions....that a stand-alone GPS is a better option. They just won't hear of it.

OBD sensor readouts offer many more options and advantages (like improved accuracy and granular control) than the factory 'optimistic' readings that are displayed on the dash.

And even with a really well-equipped, newer, higher-end vehicle with a comprehensive readout selection, there are still some sensors that the OBD device will probe that are not shown on the factory display.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 8:33am
You also run into the fact that a lot of owners don't care.. 
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 9:01am
Also, some sensors are just flat out not provided. For example, there is no temperature readout for the transmission in our 2010 Nissan Frontier. I have looked, searched, and come to the conclusion that if I want that temperature, I would need to install a sender and gauge to get it. Engine temperature is there, just not transmission.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 9:03am

Originally posted by furpod

You also run into the fact that a lot of owners don't care.. 

That too.

But for me, keeping an eye on things is part of the deal, and without the proper gauges to do that, adding a $170 item that allows me to is no problem.

Instantaneous horsepower and torque readouts are interesting to watch...as well as transmission and catalytic converter temps. Instantaneous MPG readings that vary with road and load, and the avg mpg that is based on each trip since engine start, versus the average over the last several hundred miles (which is common with factory mpg displays). Engine oil temps, coolant temps, torque converter slip ratio, actual intake air temp, etc etc....

Most people: Yawn.

Me: Cool!

Geek
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 9:14am
Originally posted by StephenH

Also, some sensors are just flat out not provided. For example, there is no temperature readout for the transmission in our 2010 Nissan Frontier. I have looked, searched, and come to the conclusion that if I want that temperature, I would need to install a sender and gauge to get it. Engine temperature is there, just not transmission.

Something that might conflict with your information is here:

When I got my Nissan Titan XD, I bought and installed a Scangauge, and it would not read the transmission temps as supplied from the factory. I sent the company an email and within a few hours, I had a reply with a link to a page with about a half dozen possible x-gauge commands to enter. After a few keystokes, it was working great!

YMMV but you might want to fire off an email and ask them about it.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 9:42am
Originally posted by podwerkz

Instantaneous horsepower and torque readouts are interesting to watch...as well as transmission and catalytic converter temps. Instantaneous MPG readings that vary with road and load, and the avg mpg that is based on each trip since engine start, versus the average over the last several hundred miles (which is common with factory mpg displays). Engine oil temps, coolant temps, torque converter slip ratio, actual intake air temp, etc etc....
I can geek out with the best of them, and I do watch the instantaneous readouts of torque, MPG, etc. However, I find that watching instantaneous things like MPG is sort of like watching a stock on the NYSE; it can make you crazy. I now check these things periodically just to get an overall sense of what I now know to be normal. The instantaneous MPG on our truck has varied a lot; a low of 3-4 MPG if you are going uphill pulling a load to a high of 99 MPG if you're cruising downhill with a tailwind with no load.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 10:13am
I always try to drive down hill with a tail wind.  Confused
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost